Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 11:49   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Trailer Sailor & Pocket Cruiser Boats, Tips, Advice, Examples

This thread is all about Trailer Sailors and Pocket Cruisers.

Thread Criteria: The boats discussed in this thread must be trailerable and are designed to be trailerable by their owners.

Reason for this topic: I am starting this thread to provide some resources to help sailors who may be interested in purchasing a "trailer sailor" type boat. That is a broad category, so some of these boats may be daysailors and some may be suitable for short term cruising. Some may be suitable for protected waters, while some may be suitable for coastal cruising (or possibly to the Bahamas).

Because of the wide range of boat types that fit this category, it is important for new sailors to do some research into any specific boat. This thread is simply to provide an Illustrated Guide and some reference materials and links and advice. Any boats I post with a link to a sale listing are simply to provide an example of current street price and condition and possibly help someone find a good example boat. I have no connection to the boats or sellers. Caveat Emptor!

Share Your Experience or Opinions or Insights Too!

While I am including some links in my OP or top post, I encourage any CF member to contribute other links, more advice, good examples, and anything else you think may help new trailer sailors or even experienced ones too.

Small trailerable boats such as a Catalina 22 or a MacGregor 26S are often recommended to people who want to learn how to sail and are curious about what boats they could buy that would allow them to do some learning and some short term cruising. I will add some photos of representative examples of popular trailer sailors and a few that may seem uncommon too. I will add these along with some example posts to show what their features are and typical asking prices.

But, the category of "Trailer Sailor" does not end with just a dinghy or Catalina 22. There are smaller boats and larger boats that I will include in this thread too.

Just remember the thread criteria: It must be a boat that can be trailered by the owner.

Experienced Trailor Sailors Advice Wanted

While I have sailed on many "trailer sailor" size dinghy class boats, (e.g. Laser, Force 5, El Toro, Hobie Cats, Prindle Cats, Thistle, 405, etc. ) and boats such as a Catalina 25, and other small keel boats, I don't claim to be an expert on them. Instead, I would prefer to see other CF members add their experienced views to this thread.

Similarly, there are Trailer Sailor boats that are designed with berths, galleys, and heads. These small "pocket cruisers" may be ideal for many sailors. I encourage experienced sailors to add their favorites to this thread and to offer their insights, advice, and tips too. I will be adding boats such as a Flicka 20 and other "Pocket Cruiser" boats I find.

Outstanding Resources!

The best single resource to learn about how to sail and modify and cruise in a trailer sailor I can suggest is a website created by one of CF's members "SUMNER" who has put together a very extensive collection of links and tips and voyage logs based on his own experience with a MacGregor 26s.

I think ANY new trailer sailor will find his site to be informative and inspirational! Even if you are going to purchase a different brand or model of trailer sailor, I encourage you to visit his site via the links below to learn what you can. I know one could spend many hours just reading the material and viewing his modifications and logs. There is a wealth of good information there.

If you know of more Trailer Sailor resources, post a link in this thread. If you want to share your opinion on any trailer sailor boat you have sailed or owned, feel free to add that too.

Outstanding Trailer Sailor Resource Links

One of CF's members, SUMNER, has done extensive travel and sailing with trailer sailor boats and he also has a Endeavour 37 too. I very much enjoyed reading his excellent and very helpful written and well illustrated logs he has published online. See the links below for these. I think many new sailors who are considering buying any kind of trailer sailor boat would learn a lot from Sumner's experiences and his nicely written and organized information.

So, even if you don't plan on buying a Mac26S, you can learn from his experience. I enjoyed reading about his Bahama Voyage (2015) and noted many of his observations would be helpful to me when I make a similar voyage in the future. He has done an outstanding job of writing, photographing, and assembling lots of information that is helpful. In short: Highly Recommended Reading!

IF you are interested in buying a trailer sailor and making modifications to it to make it more pleasant or seaworthy, I encourage you to spend some time reading what Sumner has done.

IF you are interested in taking a small boat to the Bahamas, I encourage you to read his account of his voyage. It is the best I have found. I know I plan on reading it again, completely, before my trip to the Bahamas in a small boat and consider it a "Must Read" to see what can be anticipated. His many photos and clear writing give an excellent "Virtual Cruise" in a small boat in those waters and achorages.

Sumner's 2015 Bahama Trip MENU Page
http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%2...Main-Menu.html

Sumner's Things to Do and Know Before Heading to the Bahamas
This page has very good insights into preparing your boat and yourself for the trip to the Bahamas in a small boat.
http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%2...onsider-1.html

Sumner's Bahamas 2015 Voyage INDEX page
This page has links to each leg of his voyage. Each leg is written in detail with many very good photos illustrating his trip. http://1fatgmc.com/boat/mac-1/2015%2...p%20Index.html

Sumner's Other Trips in a MacGregor 26S
Lake sailing in the American West, Lake Powell, Canada, Florida Coastal and Keys, etc.
Macgregor Trips-1 Index

Sumner's MacGregor 26S MENU Page
This page has links to many articles which illustrate and describe Sumner's modifications and updates to his MacGregor 26S boat. I enjoyed viewing these articles to see how he had prepared and customized his boat for travel and Voyaging and comfort. Well worth visiting if you are a trailer sailor even if your boat is not a Mac 26S. Lots of ideas illustrated.
Macgregor 26S Index

Sumner's Links Trailer Sailor Page
This is a very extensive page of links to many sites that will interest trailer sailors. Especially noted are the many trailer sailor groups or associations around the USA. While many of the links are to MacGregor boat groups, many are not. There are also links to exemplary blogs by trailer sailors. And links to sources of parts etc. So, there is a long list of sites and blogs which can help a trailer sailor learn. Well worth seeing and bookmarking for future reference.
Macgregor - Venture Sailboat Links

Finally, if you learn something from him or enjoy his writing, drop him a "Thank You" to show his many hours of writing were appreciated. Good Karma!

This is an Ongoing Thread so there will be much more posted over time!

This will be an ongoing thread where I will post boats I find over time.
I hope you find this ongoing thread helpful. It will take some time to upload all of the relevant examples, so stay tuned or subscribe to see more boats as I update the thread as soon as possible.

Occasionally I will post a link to a boat I find that is currently for sale. I may include photos of it and photos of other sister boats too. I include photos to ILLUSTRATE the boat type or model. So not all of the photos may be from a linked boat that is listed for sale. Remember that. The photos are from a mix of sources.
Old 31-10-2016, 11:55   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Trailer Sailor & Pocket Cruiser Boats, Tips, Advice, Examples

Some of the boats I will include in the future (it will take me hours to assemble the information and photos):

Catalinas
Cat Boats
Flicka 20
Hobie 33
MacGregor 26S
Hereshoff
HAKE Seaward
Nimble
Etc.

Stay Tuned!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 12:54   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Don't forget the Rhodes 22. My ex-BIL has one and it's a great little boat, packed with lots of features that make it far more usable than it seems at first glance. It's roomy, quick, fairly stable, and with the in-mast furling main and roller furling jib actually sailing it is embarrassingly easy.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 13:00   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Don't forget the Rhodes 22. My ex-BIL has one and it's a great little boat, packed with lots of features that make it far more usable than it seems at first glance. It's roomy, quick, fairly stable, and with the in-mast furling main and roller furling jib actually sailing it is embarrassingly easy.
Thanks. I will include that in the mix to post. Or if you have the time and some photos feel free to do so.
Old 31-10-2016, 14:06   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27

Great topic!

I used Sumner's site in the past to prep and it is a great resource for sure.

I personally don't think the particular boat is that important as long as you know it well and can stand behind it.

The limiting factor in my mind is predominantly water tankage and, somewhat less importantly, storage at large (because you can get rid of stuff you don't need, but you need water). My solution was to install a watermaker along with a manual backup for redundancy. Clearly not a necessity to cruise with in a small boat, but an awesome luxury! It gives you a ton of flexibility you otherwise would not usually have.

How you plan the particular route also makes a big difference. In the bahamas, you could stay around the abacos or the exumas without ever straying far from facilities. But if you want to go to less-traveled areas, the raggeds come to mind, that would require much different preparations.

Behind water, number two for me is access to weather. You may need to be a little more patient in judging and waiting for windows on a smaller boat, or you may not feel as comfortable being in more exposed areas after being away from a forecast for a couple days.

The delorme inreach is about $300 upfront and gives you access to text-based forecasts at a reasonable monthly cost. The format has its limitations..it's not like being able to pull up a nice graphical depiction on a web broswer, but it still gives you what you need to make good decisions.

In the bahamas, also make sure to bring an unlocked phone as their data connectivity is suprisingly good, even on islands where the only thing you'll see is a BTC tower..

Lastly and maybe most important, make friends with the locals wherever you go! They are a vast well of knowledge, resources and excitement!

Oh, and also, bring some fishing gear!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 14:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LAIKA,

Thanks for the positive feedback!

And thank YOU for adding some good insights and comment on how to prepare. I enjoyed reading your post.
Old 31-10-2016, 14:36   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

Asking Price (Oct 2016) = $10K - $30K+

You can find several Flickas listed for sale. Here is a list (updated every few months) on the "Flicka site" where you can learn more about this boat. The lowest priced one is just $10K.
Flickas For Sale

Draft = 3' 3"

Steady's NOTES:
The Flicka is one of my favorite boats to see. It is "cute" and loved by their owners. They are highly regarded in the sailing community. Some have sailed across oceans. They can be trailered. They are a "heavy displacement" boat but very small in size. They are known as surprisingly roomy for a 20 foot boat and are said to have surprising head room too. Construction quality is generally admired as "quality." There is a strong owners group and considerable information about the boats online.

They are considered a "blue water" boat and only 20 feet long. Full keel. Some have inboard Diesel engines, some have outboard motors. Some have porta-potty portable heads, some have a marine toilet. Some are "kit" or owner finished interiors, and some were factory finished.

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Dimensions
LOA: 24 ft 0 in
Beam: 8 ft 0 in
LWL: 18 ft 0 in
Maximum Draft: 3 ft 3 in
Displacement: 6000 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.GIF
Views:	730
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	134489   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	134490  

Name:	IMG_0605.JPG
Views:	1288
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	134491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.JPG
Views:	790
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	134492  

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG
Views:	699
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	134493   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.JPG
Views:	1150
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	134494  

Name:	IMG_0615.JPG
Views:	1060
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	134495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	134496  

Name:	IMG_0609.JPG
Views:	630
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	134497   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0606.JPG
Views:	589
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	134498  

Name:	IMG_0610.JPG
Views:	655
Size:	190.8 KB
ID:	134499  
Old 31-10-2016, 15:30   #8

O'Day Mariner 2+2
S2 6.9
Are popular on my lake
Both good first boats and relativly cheap these days
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 15:57   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Consider the Nor'sea 27 designed by Lyle Hess. Intended to be the largest boat that could be legally trailered on US roads.
http://www.boatus.com/boatreviews/sail/Norsea27.asp
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 15:59   #10

Boat: Albin 25

Apologies of this is misplaced, not being a "sailboat", but rather a trailerable diesel inboard trawler suitable for cruising to the Bahamas: The Albin 25. Here is the journey of one such:

Albin Trawler - Cruising TheÂ* Bahama's by Trawler

Cutaway:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	albingenomskarning.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	134524  
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:04   #11

Boat: Albin 25

Continuing - I bought mine for $6K Cdn and have put around $4K improvements in, including wiring, fuel system improvements and a windlass (!!!). Unhappily I don't have a trailer but I do have a roadmap to the Bahamas!
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:02   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsetrider View Post
Apologies of this is misplaced, not being a "sailboat", but rather a trailerable diesel inboard trawler suitable for cruising to the Bahamas: The Albin 25. Here is the journey of one such:

Albin Trawler - Cruising TheÂ* Bahama's by Trawler

Cutaway:
I don't mind it here in this thread.

As I recall, that is the boat Smackman used to travel on the ICW as one of his voyages (see Youtube).
Old 31-10-2016, 18:24   #13

O'day 25 with c/b. It's 8' wide, weighs 4,000lbs and draws 2' with the board up.

Of the 3,000 or so O'day25s produced about 90% were c/b. So there is literally hundreds to choose from in all kinds of conditions and configurations. A decent one can be found these days with the trailer for about $3-5K tops, often less than that as most are O/Bs and do not have the cache name nor the factory support of Catalina for example.

I had a fixed keel version with 9.9HP 90s Evinrude and it was plenty of power to get me where I needed to go in practically any weather. Had it been c/b and a diesel I'd probably still have it and definitely would trailer it to parts South. One of the easier boats to clean and maintain with mostly plastic inside.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56   #14

Boat: Montgomery 17

Montgomery 15, 17, 23.
Quite popular among their owners.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:59   #15

Glad this thread has been created. My wife has given me the "go ahead" to shop next spring. Can't wait!!!!!!!!
Stemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard, cruise, cruiser, pocket cruiser, sail, trailer sailer, Trailer sailor