Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2020, 05:46   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Specific Bahamas would you rather

I'm sure there will be a lot of responses saying "neither", but between two ~50' sailboats, one with a 6.5' wing keel and one with a 7.5' fin, which would you rather sail in the Bahamas?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 06:02   #2

Re: Specific Bahamas would you rather

Well, you're right. The answer is definitely "neither." There is a lot of shallow water in the Bahamas.

But if I have to choose, and given all the shallow water, I would go for the shallower keel. A foot of difference can be significant.

Either way, you are going to want a well-calibrated depth finder, and you are going to want to keep a close eye on it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 06:08   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

If it is only for the Bahamas 1' can be a lot at the 5.5-7.5' depths. BUT a lot of that lost of places to visit can be offset with a good fast dinghy. I have a 6.3' boat and my courage gives out lots of times and I just anchor out further since the difference in dinghy time is minor.
Old 13-02-2020, 06:41   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm sure there will be a lot of responses saying "neither", but between two ~50' sailboats, one with a 6.5' wing keel and one with a 7.5' fin, which would you rather sail in the Bahamas?

Tough choice really. The obvious answer is the shallower draft, but the catch here is the wing.
Not sure what you overall longterm plans would be, but would choose the deeper fin for offshore sailing and suck it up for the little bit of time in the Bahamas.

As pointed out by sailorboy (and agree), you need a good dink/ob to get a better range if anchored out further in either of the 2 keels in question and for better exploration range.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 06:43   #5

As I'm making my plans and looking at boats, the Bahamas are only a small part of where I'd like to go, but by all accounts, they are amazing and worth visiting. And since I'll be starting in New England, they are a logical early stop on my way south and beyond.
Old 13-02-2020, 07:02   #6

Would sail a 4.5 foot or less in Bahamas any more will exclude you from a lot of places and the ability to anchor close in.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 07:29   #7

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

At least when you run aground with the fin keel you can heel to boat over to get off. Not as effective with a wing keel.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 07:36   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
All other things being equal, having less draft is always better in the Bahamas.

But, no matter what your draft, 7,6,5,4,3 feet, there are always going to be places that you could go if you just had a foot less of draft.

And, that's certainly going to be true with a 6.5' versus a 7.5' draft.

Our last two cruises there, were with a five foot draft. The trip before that, was with a four foot draft. Funny thing was, we ran the 4' draft boat hard aground one day. We never touched bottom once in the five foot boat.
Old 13-02-2020, 08:16   #9

Boat: Hylas 46

We've cruised the Bahamas with a 5 foot keel and a 7. Missed a bit with the deeper draft, but not much. A good, fast dinghy and watching tides will get you nearly everywhere. The fin will be easier to get off if you do run aground and will probably be better for sailing windward when depth isn't an issue.
jackonanthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 08:33   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

7’ is going to be tough, for instance your not getting fuel except in the dinghy at green turtle and quite a few other places, but I believe the most important part is if your here in Winter, with a 7’ keel your riding out a lot of Northerlies exposed, where boats with shallower keels can seek shelter. 40kt winds and the waves they bring isn’t going to sink you, but it can make for a miserable three days until the front blows through.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 10:53   #11

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

My boat has a draft of 6'7" and I cruised the Bahamas last winter. There were a few times when we couldn't go places where we wanted to go, but in general it was fine. I got used to seeing the depth finder hovering between 2-3 feet for days on end (in the beginning, that was very stressful).

Pro tip: you can very accurately calibrate your depth finder by running aground.

I think it's more important to have accurate charts than a shallow draft. There are deeper paths through most areas, but just barely and it requires careful navigation. My Navionics charts were very accurate throughout most of the Caribbean, but not in the Bahamas. We ran aground twice in the span of 5 minutes near Spanish Wells and then hired a local guide to get out of there. He went through a route that my charts showed was 4', but it was fine. Later, we picked up some Explorer Charts and they showed exactly the route the guide took us. I think Explorer is the way to go for the Bahamas. They saved us in other places, too.
rmeador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 11:05   #12

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
Pro tip: you can very accurately calibrate your depth finder by running aground.

Didn't know that was a "pro tip" lol.

This is how we calibrated our boat also. Others give us depths through channels/over bars that are way off, then challenge us that our d/f is off. Once they hear we set ours by "direct measurement", they then quickly change their tune.
Agree this is the only way to set the d/f.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 11:54   #13

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 19-02-2020, 07:20   #14

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5 (Moorings 51)

Quote:
Later, we picked up some Explorer Charts and they showed exactly the route the guide took us. I think Explorer is the way to go for the Bahamas. They saved us in other places, too.
Definitely the Explorer Charts!
We have 6.5 to 6' 9" depending on water & Fuel on a fin keel. Have been sailing in the Bahamas for +20 yrs. Yes we run aground, but we do it gently and the fin helps us get off. A wing keel gets stuck a little harder.

Others have mentioned shorter keels but on a 50 ft boat that be questionable.
Ben51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2020, 07:22   #15

Quote:

Yes, that is usually the way we calibrate ours!

Tags
Bahamas