Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 09:57   #16

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: RF vs Hanked on on a 24ft tri

The drawings show a centerboard, do you have one? Board down for upwind, board up for downwind.
That boat should do 10+ knots easily. Maybe lots faster!
Old 05-12-2019, 13:07   #17

Boat: KLIS 3 sailing trimaran, 24ft

Hello for all
Surprisingly, I have bought KLIS trimaran 5 month ago.
I hope that we could help each other.
My trim has modified rig: boom instead of wishbone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TEkxBRK1_d0.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	204416  
AlexN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 17:12   #18

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by heandonz View Post
SNIP

Being new to multihulls and sailing in general I am struck by how much I dont know. About a lot of things but more pressing is the science of sail shape and what the hell is actually going up there.And when I should do what which brings me to inquire does anyone have any suggestions of books I should be reading at this time.

I am no racer but I am sure any multihull owner would confess that we all just want to go FAST
Anyone who is not struck by how much they don't know about sailing is kidding themselves. Reading books can be OK when you are living on dirt and the weather is bad. But the bottom line is that often times what a book says does not always transfer once you are on the water.

In one of your posts you mentioned you went 5.4 knots. One thing I do is look at my instruments before and after I trim sails to see how the speed changes. Not sure just which instruments you have but a good GPS is mandatory. I would suggest a decent chart plotter as well so you can set waypoints and not just rely on raw speed but VMG as well.

It is all too easy to get hung up on things like sail shape, tell tales, and what theory says should happen. Instead look at how fast your boat is moving through the water and what sail changes and trimming changes it for better or worse.

Another consideration, especially single handing, is how easy/hard it is to deal with sail changes and trimming. A hank on head sail is harder to take down or reduce sail area than a furrered one. Not to mention that a hanked on fore sail can also have issues raising or lowering; especially going forward in a sea way. I have little doubt a hanked on jib is simpler and most likely easier to deal with. But I also have little doubt that a furrering jib if set up right can accomplish the same thing with lines going to the cockpit and make life for a single hander much easier.

But the bottom line as others have posted is to spend time on the water with your current setup and see if it works for you; or if you think changes need to be made.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 00:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Hello for all
Surprisingly, I have bought KLIS trimaran 5 month ago.
I hope that we could help each other.
My trim has modified rig: boom instead of wishbone.

Hi AlexN,
Nice looking boat.Where are you ??
Bernard tells me that only 5 were built ,2 in Australia , 2 in Holland and I have the only one built in NZ.

I have done away with the wishbone and am sailing boomless at the moment.
I may go to a conventional boom and loose footed sail.I have installed a furller for the genoa and all lines back to the cockpit.

I hit 9.1kts last time I was out but very gusty conditions and at one point got stuck in the irons and the main was flogging and spat out the 2 lower battens before I noticed !! .Gone.!!

Summer coming soon down here and looking forward to many days out sailing.
heandonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 00:18   #20

Hi Tomfl
thanks for the info,I am taking it all in and as you say need to just get a lot of hours out there which I hope to do this summer.We hit 9.1 kts last time out so things are improving lol ! I have navionics on a phone and tablet and find the SOG very useful.I have a new main that I got as a kit from sailrite and still working out some issues but starting to get some nice shape but long way to go yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Anyone who is not struck by how much they don't know about sailing is kidding themselves. Reading books can be OK when you are living on dirt and the weather is bad. But the bottom line is that often times what a book says does not always transfer once you are on the water.

In one of your posts you mentioned you went 5.4 knots. One thing I do is look at my instruments before and after I trim sails to see how the speed changes. Not sure just which instruments you have but a good GPS is mandatory. I would suggest a decent chart plotter as well so you can set waypoints and not just rely on raw speed but VMG as well.

It is all too easy to get hung up on things like sail shape, tell tales, and what theory says should happen. Instead look at how fast your boat is moving through the water and what sail changes and trimming changes it for better or worse.

Another consideration, especially single handing, is how easy/hard it is to deal with sail changes and trimming. A hank on head sail is harder to take down or reduce sail area than a furrered one. Not to mention that a hanked on fore sail can also have issues raising or lowering; especially going forward in a sea way. I have little doubt a hanked on jib is simpler and most likely easier to deal with. But I also have little doubt that a furrering jib if set up right can accomplish the same thing with lines going to the cockpit and make life for a single hander much easier.

But the bottom line as others have posted is to spend time on the water with your current setup and see if it works for you; or if you think changes need to be made.
Old 06-12-2019, 00:24   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
The drawings show a centerboard, do you have one? Board down for upwind, board up for downwind.
That boat should do 10+ knots easily. Maybe lots faster!

Boards in each float ,make a HUGE difference in a chop ,really smooths things out ,no hobby horsing and produce a lot of lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbc1.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	204465  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08   #22

Boat: KLIS 3 sailing trimaran, 24ft

Hi heandonz,
Umm, in Saint-Petersburg, Russia.
Nice to hear that you had a talk with Bernard.
So we are a part of rather small company

My trim was build in Holland in 1985. I am the third owner.
Trim goes pretty well with genoa alone. I like how the boat holds the course with genoa without any handling. I faced issues with main sail, but it was happened because of my insufficient sailing skills.
We got 7 knots with genoa and main sail in normal weather conditions.

Onboard speed-log (small box with blade wheel under waterline) is very helpful to feel trim and tune sails. I found furller very practical for single-handed sailing.

My part of Finnish gulf is very unpleasant - short and rather high waves after wind speed threshold of 10-13 kn.

Did Bernard give you any tips or recommendations?

I have started thread on https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/k...-wanted.63173/
Low chances to find out other owners after your information.
It would be helpful to know about the type of wood and plywood for the hull. I have on information but I need it for further repairing.

Could you post/give a link to photos of your trim? I want to get ideas and tips for interior and deck items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heandonz View Post
Hi AlexN,
Nice looking boat.Where are you ??
Bernard tells me that only 5 were built ,2 in Australia , 2 in Holland and I have the only one built in NZ.

I have done away with the wishbone and am sailing boomless at the moment.
I may go to a conventional boom and loose footed sail.I have installed a furller for the genoa and all lines back to the cockpit.

I hit 9.1kts last time I was out but very gusty conditions and at one point got stuck in the irons and the main was flogging and spat out the 2 lower battens before I noticed !! .Gone.!!

Summer coming soon down here and looking forward to many days out sailing.
AlexN is offline   Reply With Quote