Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 04:24   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28
Icom M802 as Ham radio

I salvaged an Icom M802 from a boat that was damaged in Hurricane Maria and I have finally got it hooked up to a Cobweb antenna on the roof of my onshore home (the original marine whip antenna with radials just did not fly). This operation has been greatly assisted by the coronavirus curfew, although my soldering iron is still trapped on the boat.

The radio has been switched into “Open / dial Mode” so that it can be tuned to Ham frequencies. Tuning the "receive" to a specific frequency is easy enough, my question is on the "transmit" frequency. Must I always “save” or overwrite one of the pre-programmed marine channels with the desired receive frequency before I can set the transmit frequency, or is there some other way to do this?
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:32   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Icom M802 as Ham radio

I’m rusty as heck on this but I remember having a similar problem at one stage. From memory I had some kind of mode set wrong somewhere.

I think the solution was buried in the manual, maybe look for references to duplex and simplex modes.

Anyway, to reassure you, no you don’t need overwrite a saved frequency. Once the radio is in the right mode you can just spin the dials and transmit on the displayed frequency.

Good luck in your search for info, I wish I could remember the setting but it’s gone from my memory now.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:49   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S

I don't have an 802, but a 710 and always found Dockside Radio's notes quite useful. There is one on the 802, since I don't have the radio can't vouch for the accuracy of this particular note:

Dockside Radio M-802 Open Dial Mode

PDF Version
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:17   #4

Thank you for the Dockside Radio Link. Unfortunately the listed procedure isn’t working for me or I have screwed something up.

I overwrote adjacent “unused” channels with the low end General license frequencies for the 10 thru 40 meter amateur bands and set the transmit frequencies to match. The LCD display changes from DUP to SIMP when I hit the save. When I switch to the 20 meter band (for example) the radio displays 14.225.0 for both RX and TX and the the mode stays in SIMP. I then hit the CLAR/RX button and rotate the GRP knob to scan frequencies. As soon as the RX frequency changes, the display above shows DUP and of course the TX frequency remains at 14.225.0.

I know that I can switch to an unused channel, dial in the RX frequency, save it and hit the TX button, dial in the TX frequency and if it is the same as the RX frequency, the display will switch from DUP to SIMP when I save again - but I must set both RX and TX and I must save them to a channel.

The manual is set up strictly for Marine users with heavy emphasis on how to use DSC, call the Coast Guard etc. nothing there about Ham operation.
Ed
Old 08-04-2020, 07:20   #5

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Although Dsanduril has given you the instructions to program the radio for ham use, if you do want to overwrite channels, use the 18MHz channels. I doubt those will ever be used and is a fine location for your ham channels. JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55   #6

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Just check the mode.... make sure it is set to simplex so you send and receive on the frequency on the display. Duplex channels transmit on a different frequency than displayed received frequency. Key words to look for in manual "Simplex"

D
Old 08-04-2020, 07:55   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

I feel the pain, the 710 is about the same, I just always program the frequency I want to use into channel 160. Scanning on receive is easy, but then I have to set the transmit frequency.

I did find an old version of the Dockside notes that has a slightly different procedure. As the second step (immediately after powering on with the three buttons held):

Quote:
Press the Freq/CH button to select Frequency display
Don't know if that makes all the difference (or none) before proceeding as described.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:01   #8

Hi Dsanduril,
I was afraid that was the case with the procedure you described. It looks like I will have to do the same and pick a channel to overwrite each time. Bummer! Still hoping an M802 user will hop on and give me the secret procedure.
Gracias,
Ed
Old 08-04-2020, 08:02   #9

http://www.radios.net.au/dlFiles/pro..._icom_m802.pdf

Look on page 3 for simplex details
Old 08-04-2020, 08:04   #10

you need to see SIMP on the display or you are not in simplex mode.... ;-)
Old 08-04-2020, 08:35   #11

I use mine in HAM VFO mode and never store a frequency.... so it can be done.
My radio is in storage right now.... so I can't walk you through an exact example.
Sorry D
Old 08-04-2020, 09:04   #12

I have followed the stated procedure exactly as given in your link but it only ever changes the RX frequency and always stores the revised frequency in whatever channel it was set to. Can't set the TX frequency unless I store the Rx frequency first.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:34   #13

Boat: Westsail, 32, CAN DO

Try ICOM Tech Support, I have received excellent support from them.
Link: https://www.icomamerica.com/en/contactus.aspx
Good Luck.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:45   #14

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

You have activated the ham bands on the radio.
When you turn on the radio I'll assume the radio is in Channel mode and the top line of the LCD indicates SIMP (for simplex mode).

To change to VFO mode, after turning on the radio press the CLAR/RX button. When you press CLAR/RX does the top line of the LCD still indicate SIMP?
Old 08-04-2020, 10:05   #15

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

Though I own one, I never used it for more than a little functional testing. Have Marine but no ham licence. But I suggest, control it from a PC or raspberry. Makes live much easier.
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, radio