Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 00:52   #1

Offer Turkey - want Caribbean

You have a boat in the Caribbean, but always wanted to sail the Med?

Great! I have a boat in Turkey and always wanted to sail the Caribbean!

Sure we could both charter. Or not - drop me a PM, please.

My boat is a 1984 Comar Comet 1050, about 35ft and perfect for a couple, family will need people sleep in the salon as aft cabin was sacrificed for more batteries & storage. "Ship-shape" (you might argue that the mainsail sliders need replacing) w/ new engine & rigging & everything you'd want except diving equipment - it's illegal to dive "alone" in Turkish waters. She's moored in the Gulf of Göcek in Fethiye, a picturesque city with a history (and ruins) going back to B.C. times - and one of the top 10 sailing destinations on the planet.

Season is May to September with ~0 rain, temperatures are close to 40° / > 100° in July and August. I reccommend September. Would like to go the the Caribbean in November.

U.S. citizens will need an e-Visa to enter Turkey, which is zero hassle to get. It's only 60 miles to the island of Rhodes, Greece - EU/Schengen area, you may just enter. I am a German citizen, so: Turkey is *not* a warzone, people are very friendly, and it's safe (of course you'll be madly ripped off by vendors if you can't negotiate). Most people will speak enough English or go out of their way to find someone who does. The Greek islanders are generally very relaxed people, but annoyed by an incompetent government and a refugee crisis now in it's 6th year, so there might be some superficial hostility if you happen to be of black or arab enthicity.
jckerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 06:37   #2

Boat: Sabre 36
Re: Offer Turkey - want Caribbean

Interesting offer. I have a 1980 Lafitte 44 in Grenada at the moment. I will haul her soon since it is not possible to get to Grenada at this time and it is unlikely to change before hurricane season. I will relaunch her in October this year. My email is ridingdog at Yahoo. lets talk more and share photos.

Carl
ridingdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, offer, rib, Turkey