Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2020, 11:18   #1

Solo to Caribbean

Has anyone soloed to the Caribbean from Florida? I know there are the two routes; delivery route out to sea to 65 then south or the thorny or thornless path.
My concern with the delivery route is the large traffic out there makes it dangerous to solo and get any sleep at all.

Any experience would be appreciated. Theories and opinions not so much.
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 11:23   #2

Re: Solo to Caribbean

It’s upwind

Upwind work is physical and your boat must be up to the task

Inshore with frequent stops or offshore long legs

Your choice
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2020, 11:28   #3

I haven't sailed your route single handed or double handed but I know if I did which route I'd choose. I'd take the open ocean away from land every time. If you have AIS then you should get adequate warning on ships as you can pick them up a long ways away and while they won't receive you until 5-8 miles out that's plenty of time for them to miss you.
Racing single handers prepare themselves by doing their watches and naps while onshore for days before a long distance race, you might benefit from doing the same. Enjoy your sail, R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 13:05   #4

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

fwiw 65 miles out to sea from FL then South puts you smack in the Bahamas hitting islands, coral heads or running aground.

Any non-stop route from FL is effectively close hauled the entire way, anticipate 15-20kts from +/- East and up to 3m seas every day offshore without the protection of islands/reefs and then imagine doing this with little to no sleep and by yourself..

This is not a route that suggests that single handing is remotely a good idea.. particularly as most non stop routes from USA advise getting to 65W before turning South

"Gentlemans guide to passages South" is a solid read..and certainly capable for solo sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydrv View Post
Has anyone soloed to the Caribbean from Florida? I know there are the two routes; delivery route out to sea to 65 then south or the thorny or thornless path.
My concern with the delivery route is the large traffic out there makes it dangerous to solo and get any sleep at all.

Any experience would be appreciated. Theories and opinions not so much.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2020, 17:28   #5

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic38 View Post
fwiw 65 miles out to sea from FL then South puts you smack in the Bahamas hitting islands, coral heads or running aground.

Any non-stop route from FL is effectively close hauled the entire way, anticipate 15-20kts from +/- East and up to 3m seas every day offshore without the protection of islands/reefs and then imagine doing this with little to no sleep and by yourself..

This is not a route that suggests that single handing is remotely a good idea.. particularly as most non stop routes from USA advise getting to 65W before turning South

"Gentlemans guide to passages South" is a solid read..and certainly capable for solo sailing
The 65 refers to longitude 65, sometimes jokingly referred to as I-65.

Either path has you doing 900 miles to weather. The thorny(less) path approach requires lots of motoring. The I-65 approach requires lots of beating into the trades and some good weather luck. Pick your poison. The path through the Bahamas, Turks Caicos, Dominican Republic requires only a few ovenights, plenty of places to rest and wait on weather, but takes a fair long time.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 16:00   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

I've done both. Regarding I65, if you see another boat once you're beyond 20 miles from shore count it as unusual. I've gone that route three times and not seen a single one.

The Thorny Path is only Thorny in places and has some lovely stops along the way.

If you have to get south fast, go I65. If you have a couple of months work your way through the islands.
Old 29-02-2020, 16:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Solo to Caribbean

The I65 is not always upwind..
Head up to Ft Pierce then wait for the wind to come from the SE before setting off over the top of the Bahamas.
Usually the wind the goes S then SW over the next couple of days.. use this to get some EN'Easting so your in a good position to pick up the N'ly when it comes then ride it E as far as you can..
After that play it as it comes.. you may have to do some motoring so carry extra fuel if limited tankage.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 17:16   #8

Did this run april 2018, so talking from experience as opposed to theory.

Mayport to Utila Honduras 16 days.
Left Mayport with a weather forecast of 3 days west wind, had two days north, Ran south with the north wind to around Port St Lucie then turned east and crossed over to the Bahamas.
Ran south and then west past Cay Sal.
Across the top of cuba, around Caba San Antonio then straight run to Utila.
Plagued by light air all down the bahamas and cuba. Spent days drifting, which is fine.
Got good winds finally about 100 miles south of cuba, which was nice.
I will do this run again. Very happy to spend 16 days alone aboard my boat.
$6 to check into Utila. Was very glad I got exit papers from the US as the imigration lady was most unhappy with the lack of Zarpe but the port captain convinced her that the exit papers were fine.

This is for the OP. I dont care to argue with trolls or haters.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 17:24   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Since the OP mentioned the Thorny Path and I65 you have to presume he wants to go to the eastern Carib, which is to windward. Utila is in Honduras and essentially a downwind passage, so probably not that relevant.
Old 29-02-2020, 18:10   #10

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Took the thornless path once, was pretty thornless. Though we waited for wx with wind, as we only had a 15 gallon fuel tank, and no jugs. I hate to have jugs on deck, and the boat was too small for jugs anywhere else.

I agree with Paul L, it's more a decision based on time available, than what's easier. They're both viable routes.

Cheers.
Paul. (Noel)
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 18:44   #11

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Yes. I sail up towards (or to) Bermuda, then Southish to the islands. If you want to do it without stopping in Bermuda that's fine, but even via Bermuda it's only 10-14 days total at sea depending on the boat and weather. No beating, little motoring and you can take your pick of which island to make landfall at. AIS has revolutionised single-handed sailing. Not much out there without it these days, at least in the North Atlantic.

I should mention, I am from Bermuda, so I have a predisposition towards it!
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib