Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 16:02   #16

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Gemini Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Michel View Post
Gemini 1997 - I am unable to identify the Raymarine model auto pilot: I need a belt and wheel drive replacement
There are two belts, Different lengths, Mark 1, Mark 2,
Colour of the steering wheel determines the mark,,
One is grey and one is black,
Mark two is a grey steering wheel,
Approximately $40-00 online in the USA,
I just bought two of them for my 2003 Gem, ,
On Ebay.com
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 16:27   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Yes their bridge decks are low but they really aren't meant to be ocean-going in my opinion. They more honestly satisfy what most want. More space without having to drastically increase the length of the boat!
Ive now done approximately 7000 Nmiles in my Gemini 105MC and all off shore and single handed,
Beam on and down wind they dont pound,
This includes 6 metre waves and 70 knot winds, Repeatedly,
My Gem has crossed the Pacific, The full length of the Tasman sea and many Gales in Bass Strait and the Tasman Sea,
Its a very capable boat in the worst weather,
In a following sea, Its a very cruisy ride, Irrespective of the wave height,

Yes, They pound upwind, But only upwind and into waves on the nose,
But who sails upwind any way, I dont,
Thats for the die hards, Sailing upwind is just trying to prove some thing, ????
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I vote no for "serious blue water cruising".

Yes, Slapdash did it. (young and stu....err....strong)

Yes Tony Smith and son went to England. (Tony said "never again".)

Yes, Mr B. took it home with "no worries". (Wow!)

Coastal = fabulous. Especially FL west coast (shallow), Bahamas (shallow), Caribbean (not as shallow). All can be done in short hops. Modern weather info is really good compared to "days of the Loran" or before. (funny the spell checker on CF does not know what Loran is )

There are reasons why over 1000 have been built and only a few have done "serious blue water cruising" in them.

Get a Gem first to see how you like the lifestyle while you head south to FL, the Bahamas or even further. If you still want to go further you can get a bigger boat that will hold more "stuff" later.

It is still the best "bang for the buck" but it is also still........a boat (compromise).

Therapy
Ex - Gemini 105Mc #1044
I had a 105M for a year. It was just too tinny and noisy with little waves hitting the hulls. They are very small boats.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 08:10   #19

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Yes their bridge decks are low but they really aren't meant to be ocean-going in my opinion. They more honestly satisfy what most want. More space without having to drastically increase the length of the boat!
short chop is hell with a low bridgedeck. Find a lot of that with in places like the Chesapeake Bay. if you have time for a weather window, it may be okay.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 04:59   #20

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

I am a boatbuilder and also a Gemini owner and i'm here to tell you that these are poorly built boat in nearly every way. They are in no way an ocean going boat, yes, some people have crossed oceans with one but that means nothing, just because you can doesn't mean you should, people have crossed oceans in all sorts of unsuitable craft. On the other hand the Gemini is just good enough and are great at what they are made for which is coastal cruising. Btw, the early model Gemini 3000 has the most bridgedeck clearance at 14 - 16" and then they get heavier and less clearance with each sucessive model, 8" on the 3200 and 6" on the 105mc, yes , iv'e actually measured them. Does this sound like enough for offshore passagemaking? I like my Gemini as a coastal boat.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 11:55   #21
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
I am a boatbuilder and also a Gemini owner and i'm here to tell you that these are poorly built boat in nearly every way. They are in no way an ocean going boat, yes, some people have crossed oceans with one but that means nothing, just because you can doesn't mean you should, people have crossed oceans in all sorts of unsuitable craft. On the other hand the Gemini is just good enough and are great at what they are made for which is coastal cruising. Btw, the early model Gemini 3000 has the most bridgedeck clearance at 14 - 16" and then they get heavier and less clearance with each sucessive model, 8" on the 3200 and 6" on the 105mc, yes , iv'e actually measured them. Does this sound like enough for offshore passagemaking? I like my Gemini as a coastal boat.

In my opinion your summation of the Gemini is spot on. Fantastic boat for what it was designed for which is coastal gunkholing. Hard to find something better.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 03:24   #22

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Did the Gems get more interior space as they grew longer? And what's the bd clearance on the Legacies?

Tags
gemini