Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2017, 08:40   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Hatch rebuilds for 78 Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingFan View Post
Rognvald, thanks for your reply.

The scarcity is definitely apparent from what I have found to date. I am still trying to determine how much I want to put into this vessel, though, as already stated. I am fighting a damaged oilpan as well, and will have to either come up with a way to repair it or replace/remanufacture an oilpan before I can crank the engine over. I have an outboard, and have used it with this vessel, but when the waves are up or other boats are around, it is a sore second place to an inboard where the prop stays under the water.

Still, the vessel is worth at least considering a hatch repair, or at least sealing it up and adding dorades I suppose (or a second hatch and some cabin top reinforcement maybe?).

SF,
There is only one question you need to ask yourself: Am I committed to this boat and am I willing to make it sound and seaworthy. If the answer is no, get rid of the boat because boat ownership is a lifetime of repairs and improvements that will never cease. In regards to your IB engine, it is really not necessary on a 27-foot boat. I would re-evaluate your cost of repair and if it is prohibitive, sell/junk the engine, install a quality OB bracket and get a long shaft OB engine. Potentially, the money you save on engine repairs can be used to repair/recondition your boat properly. The happiest sailing days in my life were on my old 25 footer with an OB. I sailed regularly offshore and never had a problem I couldn't fix quickly and inexpensively and if the OB malfunctioned, I could easily sail my boat into any harbor/anchorage for repairs. By the way, the older Hunters are excellent sailing boats and with a little beefing up and TLC, they make a great, inexpensive cruiser. I hope this helps. Best, Rognvald
Old 18-08-2017, 12:12   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

PS: Whatever you do, DO NOT mount a fan or ventillator in a hatch that's over top of a bunk. It'll forever be a source of leaks. And there's plenty of deck space to mount them elsewhere.
You might sell the admiral on the cost of a new hatch if she knows that it means a dry v-berth & better ventilation for same.

I put a solar powered one in the main cabin deck, as well as just above the stove in my galley, & LOVED them. Which the one in the galley will remove more moisture than it'll ever let in in all but an F9 storm. And it's easy enough to put in the deck plate to seal them up on questionable weather days.

What he said. DO NOT mount above a bunk. Ask me how I know.

The head is a better choice - keeps the air moving out. I prefer a sunlight solar-only fan (no battery) which means you do not pull in wet night air or wet rainy day air.
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 16:56   #18

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
SF,
There is only one question you need to ask yourself: Am I committed to this boat and am I willing to make it sound and seaworthy. If the answer is no, get rid of the boat because boat ownership is a lifetime of repairs and improvements that will never cease. In regards to your IB engine, it is really not necessary on a 27-foot boat. I would re-evaluate your cost of repair and if it is prohibitive, sell/junk the engine, install a quality OB bracket and get a long shaft OB engine. Potentially, the money you save on engine repairs can be used to repair/recondition your boat properly. The happiest sailing days in my life were on my old 25 footer with an OB. I sailed regularly offshore and never had a problem I couldn't fix quickly and inexpensively and if the OB malfunctioned, I could easily sail my boat into any harbor/anchorage for repairs. By the way, the older Hunters are excellent sailing boats and with a little beefing up and TLC, they make a great, inexpensive cruiser. I hope this helps. Best, Rognvald
This does make sense, and I do have an excellent OB bracket and long shaft OB on the stern. I may increase the OB HP someday (It, too, is an 8 HP, not sure if there is a 10 or larger HP long shaft out there that won't be stupid costly, but the deals are probably out there if one is made), but it does fight me when I have wakes with which to deal. Of course, I could just do like I always have, and manage it through those...

I have lately been considering taking out the inboard anyway, just taking it out, then cleaning it up a little externally, and selling it. The starter will fetch good cash, as will the alternator, as they are literally brand new. That would give me a great space for more storage (always short on a 27 footer). I would need to pull the shaft anyway, as it has some corrosion on it, and the transmission must have a value, maybe even as much as the engine. It would go a ways to helping set some things up elsewhere (like that hatch, as you mentioned). It probably would not hurt more than leaving a non-usable engine in there as far as selling goes either... Dang, pulling and plugging the shaft hole seems danged wise....
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, hatch, rebuild