Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-01-2020, 08:24   #2971

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Re: Feature Requests

Hmm... Even better would be for OpenCPN to display PARTS of multiple mbTiles (all at the same zoom, or close to it), so the display would look more uniform. But this would require that OpenCPN know about the different types of mbTiles (ArcGIS, Bing, CMap, etc) because you wouldn't want to mix those in a single display. My mbTiles are all labeled with the source, but others might not do this, & a standard would probably need to be established so OpenCPN knows which mbTiles can go together (which, I'm sure, Paul Higgins would be happy to implement, once it was defined). The piano-keys would then be just which TYPE of mbTile you want to display (ArcGIS, Bing, etc). This would be fairly awesome, but probably a LOT of work.
Old 07-03-2020, 16:40   #2972

Anybody has the CM93 ed2 charts corrected for the new locks in the Panama Canal?
Thanks.
P_Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 17:43   #2973

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dub View Post
Anybody has the CM93 ed2 charts corrected for the new locks in the Panama Canal?
Thanks.
The new locks are not shown in cm93 2015 version.

They do appear in satellite imagery from which KAP or Mbtiles charts can be easily made.

Image is of the Gatun Locks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20 03 08 09 29 12.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	210222  
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:05   #2974

My last look was that half of it was covered by clouds. It is then not much use.
Thanks anyway.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:48   #2975

Quote:
My last look was that half of it was covered by clouds. It is then not much use. Thanks anyway.
Get yourself a (free) copy of SAS Planet. It has satellite imagery from ArcGIS (which is awesome), Google Earth, Bing (Microsoft), Nokia, as well as many others. It also has nautical charts from CMap & Navionics. The charts aren't as accurate as the satellite imagery, but they have depths. Anything that gets downloaded goes into the SAS cache for offline viewing. And SAS can make (opaque) mbTiles for OpenCPN directly.

I'm pretty sure that some of those satellite images won't have clouds. This is where Terry's (uncloudy) image came from.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:05   #2976

Jon, do you have a copy of them charts? Something does not seems to work for me.
Regards.
Old 08-03-2020, 15:51   #2977

Boat: Formerly Fuji 32 Ketch

Quote:
My last look was that half of it was covered by clouds. It is then not much use.
Thanks anyway.
Try using SAS Planet. You have the choice of imagery from Google Earth, Yandex, Bing, Nokia and ESRI/ArcGIS. A version (Sasplanet.zip) tweaked to use with the Sat2Chart program can be downloaded from HERE.

Terry
yachtvalhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 16:12   #2978

Thanks Terry. Something is blocking me and I can't find what it is.
Bye.
Old 09-03-2020, 13:49   #2979

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

I have created charts of all the Caribbean including the Panama canal in both Kap and Mbtiles format for satellite charts and Navionics.

If you want them follow this link and drill down to the Panama charts:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ahv3fXEZ5SzkjRTcnfNuiHWgtQKa
Old 12-03-2020, 10:22   #2980

Paul,
The SAT2CHART program can not open and send me back error 35.
What is missing and what should I do?
Regards.
Old 12-03-2020, 19:06   #2981

Quote:
Paul, The SAT2CHART program can not open and send me back error 35. What is missing and what should I do?
Regards.
The first-time setup of Sat2Chart is a bit tricky, as it also has to install the Rexx interpreter, which doesn't seem to want to install in the normal Program Files location. I've found that it's best to let Rexx install where it wants. Same for Sat2Chart, which needs to install in its own directory (C:\Sat2Chart) so it can write to its logfiles, which it can't do in the Program Files folder. So again, best to accept the defaults.

Paul doesn't monitor this thread very often, so it's best to email him directly (his eddress is in the Sat2Chart Help). However, I happen do know he's on vacation right now & not online, so don't expect a reply before Sunday.
Old 13-04-2020, 01:47   #2982

Boat: Moody 31 MKII
using multiscreen

I started using OpenCPN with 2-screens.
one in the navigation corner, the second one in the cockpit.
I am using the extended screen mode.

First I detected that OpenGL cannot be used, OpenCPN will not start when using extended screen mode

Now I am heavily struggling with the position the forms (AIS-warning form, AIS property form, dashboard form, …), theu somewhere randomly position themselves on one of the screens. This is very annoying because from the cockpit you cannot see which forms appear on the screen in the navigation corner, it is very difficult to move this form to the correct screen when you cannot see what you are doing on the other screen.

How is this intended in OpenCPN?

Would it be a suggesting that by default all OpenCPN forms are defaulted on the screen where the main-window of OpenCPN is positioned. That at the moment that this main-window is moved to the other screen all forms will be defaulted to the screen on which OpenCPN runs?

Waiting for your experience/opinion.
jamhendriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 03:51   #2983

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: using multiscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhendriks View Post
I started using OpenCPN with 2-screens.
one in the navigation corner, the second one in the cockpit.
I am using the extended screen mode.

First I detected that OpenGL cannot be used, OpenCPN will not start when using extended screen mode

Now I am heavily struggling with the position the forms (AIS-warning form, AIS property form, dashboard form, …), theu somewhere randomly position themselves on one of the screens. This is very annoying because from the cockpit you cannot see which forms appear on the screen in the navigation corner, it is very difficult to move this form to the correct screen when you cannot see what you are doing on the other screen.

How is this intended in OpenCPN?

Would it be a suggesting that by default all OpenCPN forms are defaulted on the screen where the main-window of OpenCPN is positioned. That at the moment that this main-window is moved to the other screen all forms will be defaulted to the screen on which OpenCPN runs?

Waiting for your experience/opinion.

Are you using Windows or some other operating system?

Why do you use extended screen mode? Would it not make more sense to use duplicate screen mode? Then both screens would show the exact same thing.

Just so you know, extended screen mode makes both screens look like one big screen. The program is not aware about that.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 04:38   #2984

Boat: Moody 31 MKII
Re: using multiscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Are you using Windows or some other operating system?

Why do you use extended screen mode? Would it not make more sense to use duplicate screen mode? Then both screens would show the exact same thing.

Just so you know, extended screen mode makes both screens look like one big screen. The program is not aware about that.

I am using windows 7
1. When the pixels format differs duplicate screens doesnot look nice
2. I am using more the OpenCPN, when someone is doing things on the screen in the navigation corner this should not influence the screen in the cockpit (someone is using this screen to steer)
3. Some forms (option form, track property form, ..) remember the screen but others within OPenCPN do not. It is not consistent and problematic when used in this way.
jamhendriks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 05:45   #2985

Jam, there is already a bug on this in Flyspray, the OpenCPN bug tracking system. It's about making ALL dialog boxes remember their size, shape, position, columns, sort orders, etc. If you'd like to go there & vote for it (&/or add a comment), that will give it more chance of being fixed sooner, as it currently has only a very low priority.