Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 22:13   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)
Anchoring Out in San Diego

Gudday! Moving my Triton from SF Bay to San Diego and hoping to anchor out there. Looking for advice on where is the best place (if any) to drop hook there. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 00:46   #2

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Anchoring out in San Diego

There's a mooring ball field just inside the inlet at Mission Bay just north of San Diago bay. When you enter the inlet turn left at the first bay, it is right behind the beach motels and entertainment. I don't know if they charge for the buoys or let you anchor in the area. I bought our cat that had been moored in Mission Bay and practice manuvering in that bay last Oct. Good luck
Old 05-11-2011, 08:29   #3

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Re: Anchoring Out in San Diego

Go to the police dock at Shelter Is. and get an anchoring permit for Coronado or A9.Mission bay is 72 hrs anchoring only.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:36   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is no anchoring in sd bay sans prmit. nlo free mooring balls. must arrange mooring balls with sd mooring company. 619-291--0094. vanessa or karin.
for anchor permit go to sd muni docks/cop docks with boat in person and ask for permit to anchor in the cruiser's long term anchorage. san diego police will inspect your boat for sea worthiness. doesnt matter that you have cruising time or whatever-- they HAVE to control. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:41   #5

Boat: Cooper 416

It's a dance. If you time it right you can be comfortable but you have to keep moving. You are allowed 3 stays in the bay for a total of nine days. So thats one in Glorietta, One in La Playa and one of your choice of both of those. You get 10 days a month at the public docks. Then you have 3 days you can take in Mission Bay per month in the cycle. When you get to San Deigo go to the "Cop Dock" and start your first ten days Have your boat Inspected and get a permit for the Crusiers Anchorage 90 days a year. 30 days per premit over by the Coast Guard Station.If you have your act together see Vannessa at the San Deigo Mooring Co. There you can maybe get a buoy At least get on the list.It's a wait for boats over 40' but sometimes can be no wait for smaller boats.Also there is Zenuga outside.Since you are from SF Bay I would do the Cruisers Anchorage until SD Mooring Co does your paper work. The dingy docks are a mess so a Hard Dingy is a must.Save your days at the Cop Dock as your monthly thing starts each month on the same day.So if you check in on the first you can do water and pumpouts and spread the rest of the days out through the month untill the first when your days start over again. Use respect and HP will be your friends they are for the most part pretty good people there.
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:09   #6

you do NOT want to be at zuniga jetty in a storm. the storms have already started---- do go to the fone number i posted and talk with vanessa about a temp ball if you donot want to drag allover the cruisers anchorage--is poor holding in storms unless you have an anchor set to nw and one to se, in a wide V formation, as the winds start se then turn to nw-- are cyclonic storms. any overtime anchoring is a 271 dollar fine, which is not fine. good luck. i have had mooring in sdbay since 1999,december. i have watched the changes and deterioration of conditions toward cruisers and live aboards, which is what they consider cruisers, in sd bay since 1995. i still have a boat in sd bay at coronado moorings, on a permanent ...lol...ball----ask vanessa about transient moorings. there is 4 yr wait, last i heard for some areas as regards permanent moorings. good luck and smooth sailing
Old 05-11-2011, 15:23   #7

Thanks for the tips! As Zeehag knows, I shant be there for long, I'm on my way to Mexico but SD is close to my house so i can go relax in a real bed for a few days or a week before heading south of the border.
Old 05-11-2011, 15:41   #8

if youhave a sd address, write off cruisers anchorqge and go for 10 day at cop docks and a 3 day in glorietta and gtf out of dodge-- they aint friendly to us
Old 21-11-2011, 20:17   #9

UPDATE: Got to San Diego and here's the latest situation here. Mission bay is 72 hours only (anchor or mooring ball) and was pretty full when I cruised by to check it out. You can have 15 days at the cop dock (sign reads customs dock by the way). Then you can anchor out in the Cruisers Anchorage (A9) for up to 90 days (that's 3 stays of 30 days and all you have to do to extend for each stay is call in). The anchorage has been full up until the last week so there's a chance you might not get a spot if you arrive at the wrong time.
Old 21-11-2011, 20:39   #10

I have a friend who just found moorage for $13.00 a day up to 3 months but it is at the Navy base in San Diago. Wish I could be worried about anchoring in San Diago with lots warmer weather than up north hear on the Columbia River.
Old 22-11-2011, 07:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
I have a friend who just found moorage for $13.00 a day up to 3 months but it is at the Navy base in San Diago. Wish I could be worried about anchoring in San Diago with lots warmer weather than up north hear on the Columbia River.
Interesting. Do you happen to have the details for that? Contact telephone number and such?
Old 22-11-2011, 10:01   #12

the fiddlers cove is for retired and active duty military. cop dock has been for 10 days max--i had not heard anything about them increasing stay--has been 10 days in a 30 day cycle.
for longer duration,. call san diego mooring company at 619-291-0491. ask for vanessa. you may want to look up the number as my memory may be defective. she will advise as to how to acquire a sd bay mooring.
Old 22-11-2011, 23:16   #13

Sorry no more info on the US Navy dock
Old 09-03-2016, 19:01   #14

I AM LOOKING AT A 117' FOOTER- WOULD IT BE SAVE TO LEAVE IT OUT AT ZUNIGA??
Shambaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 20:21   #15

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambaugh View Post
I AM LOOKING AT A 117' FOOTER- WOULD IT BE SAVE TO LEAVE IT OUT AT ZUNIGA??
Have you looked at a chart?

Any swell or wave action from WSW thru South to SSE will roll right into Zuniga. Most swells from WNW south to WSW will refract and come into Zuniga as a very uncomfortable wave action.

I've only anchored there overnight a couple times, in what I thought was flat calm, and I've regretted it each time.

Every couple months a boat washes up on the beach somewhere between North Island NAS and the Silver Strand state park. The owner, when interviewed on TV says "I thought she would be safe anchored at Zuninga.

The jetty is 1 NM long and the water is only 10' deep 0.75 miles S from Zuniga Pt. A boat with 8' draft would have to be at the south end of the jetty to stay in water deep enough to have anything under the keel.

And, I've heard the Navy chase people out of the anchorage when they had small arms live fire exercises at Zuniga Pt.

And, really big planes take off from North Island NAS all day long, most of them on runway 178 which takes them directly overhead the anchorage at less than 500'. They put out an incredible amount of nasty soot and black stuff. We know because we live on Harbor Island and the commercial traffic at Lindbergh does the same thing. We have to wash the boat every other day to keep it from going black from the jet exhaust.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, san diego