Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 11:31   #1

A few questions about renting a mooring in San Diego Bay, please...

I might rent a mooring in San Diego Bay and the location available the soonest (approx 90 days) are the Laurel St moorings. I called the company that manages the moorings but no one has called back yet and I'm really hoping to get "word on the street" answers to my questions below anyway.

QUESTIONS:

1) Have you heard if the Mediterranean style moorings along the street are more prone to theft?

2) Is it possible to live on your boat there if you maintain a low profile?

3) Apparently there is parking that is fairly close that's free where you can park your car for up to 72 hours. Do you know where that is?

Thanks!
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 07:03   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: A few questions about renting a mooring in San Diego Bay, please...

hay i was on moorage in sd bay from 1999-2011, and anchored in anchorage 9, aka cruisers anchorage from 1995-1999. also boatsat some interesting specimens in laurel street moorings. had a boat on the wall there--aka med style moorings. in a storm you do NOT want one of those. winter storms destroy those boats fast. if not moored correctly you get caught under the wall. moored correctly iti s not bad. however folks CAN get onto boats from that sidewalk,aka malecon
the parking is first come first served and has some handicapped slots. good luck with that part.
many live on board, despite clause in contract. beware of the thieves. yes they can enter there easier than other locales. i preferred coronado moorings, myself, as less theft and smarter folks. less convenient, but the ferry is free in early mornings for commuters. iff the parking slots were left intact, along that sidewalk aka malecon there are premium 72 hour max parking places. any events in downtown along malecon, such as star of india events, etc, everyone and uncle sally park there. good luck, as i stated previously/.
before anchorage 8 was closed, laurel street moorings, aka downtown near airport were cool. not much theft, convenient.
hard to endure in a winter storm--all that fetch from ocean to laurel street tends to build some good problems.
add airplane noise and dirt.......
there are some good folks still in residence there, if you do moor there...
might wanna see about a temp in coronado. best neighbors, least theft, and fewer breakaways in the winter storms.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, mooring, renting, san diego