Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2017, 13:52   #1

Hinckley Sou'Wester Jr. Vs. Alberg 30

Hello Everyone:

I'm going to be doing a few years of singlehanded liveaboard cruising and have narrowed my selection down to 2 boats, the Hinckley Sou'Wester Jr. (the glass version, not wood) and the Alberg 30. Questions for the forum:

1. I can't find a single thing on the internet about the Glass Sou'Wester 30s, has anyone here owned one and if so can you shed any light on problem areas, general construction quality, etc..
2. Sou'Wester 30s Start at 25k and quickly head north from there whilst you can have the pick of the litter with some very nicely equipped Alberg 30s for 15k, both are obviously well built solid glass boats, so, going back to question #1, was Hinckley really that far ahead of the heard in construction quality or am I just paying to Join the Hinckley owners club.

Thanks
David
Snafoooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 17:16   #2

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33
Re: Hinckley Sou'Wester Jr. Vs. Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafoooo View Post
Hello Everyone:

I'm going to be doing a few years of singlehanded liveaboard cruising and have narrowed my selection down to 2 boats, the Hinckley Sou'Wester Jr. (the glass version, not wood) and the Alberg 30. Questions for the forum:

1. I can't find a single thing on the internet about the Glass Sou'Wester 30s, has anyone here owned one and if so can you shed any light on problem areas, general construction quality, etc..
2. Sou'Wester 30s Start at 25k and quickly head north from there whilst you can have the pick of the litter with some very nicely equipped Alberg 30s for 15k, both are obviously well built solid glass boats, so, going back to question #1, was Hinckley really that far ahead of the heard in construction quality or am I just paying to Join the Hinckley owners club.

Thanks
David
Let me know when you get this information. My understanding is that very few were built.
SOU'WESTER JR 30 (HINCKLEY) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 17:52   #3
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.
Re: Hinckley Sou'Wester Jr. Vs. Alberg 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafoooo View Post
am I just paying to Join the Hinckley owners club.
Looks like it.
You might consider this current offering on our forum:
Westerly 33
I have no connection with it or the owner, it simply appears to be a smashing deal on a boat with similar style and characteristics.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30