Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2009, 07:51   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Morgan 454

Normally I wouldn't put out a question on a specific boat. But, I have not really been able to find out much about these. These boats look to be a good value with great layout and tankage. But I have seen the same ones on yatchworld for some time, which makes me wonder why they don't sell better and why the price seems kind of low. Now I have never gone to see one so if I did maybe something just jumps out.

One of the things that I can not get my head around is the pretty light displacement. I think this has something to do with an old flat bottom IOR design. But at the same time the boat has lots of ballast for it's displacement and with the centrelboard I would assume it wouldn't heel too bad (my wife kind of hates life at 20+ degrees). I'm sure the boat is pretty fast, but have to question whether it is going to be real rocky and uncomfortable in semi-rough weather due to the displacement.

Any thoughts? I posted a link to one if anyone wants to take a look.

www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/Morgan-Nelson-Marek-1978797/Oriental/NC/United-States
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 04:49   #2
CLOD

This must be a first; no one had an opinion on a boat design.
Old 23-11-2009, 06:53   #3

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Sure looks comfy. I have no opinion of how well she sails or does anything else.

But that salon looks very plush, and the berths ... I could drop right off looking at them.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2009, 07:16   #4

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
She's a perty one! Who knows. She is a bit cheaper than the rest of her peer group in the same size range. Motivated seller? Who can say. Just get a REAL GOOD survey.

Here's a blurb from David Pascoe on the 462, but he has a few things to say about the quirks of Morgans in general.
Boat Review by David Pascoe - Morgan 462 Ketch

As for a personal opinion, sorry, I don't qualify; other than to say I've sailed on a 41 OI ketch and loved it. She was an ex-charter craft.
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 10:52   #5

I have own / sailed a Morgan 454 for over 13 years. 5th sailboat. For me it is great coastal and blue water sailboat. Sails fast, roomy below. We lived aboard for 7 years. Best time of our life.

Took a year to find the one I wanted. Not a Morgan boat design, designed by Nelson/Marek and build at the Morgan plant. IOR rated boat. Many were build for charter in the islands ("Buy a boat and charter it - let someone else pay for it") was popular sales theme back in the 80s. Many came off charter - worn / minimal upkeep. Most still around have been worked and maintained. Make sure any additions or corrections were by someone who was competent.

I have sailed the boat in several storms. One was a stationary low off Bermuda which hung around a week. 45-60 Knts wind and seas build up to 28+ ft. Boat was strong and Nothing broke. Found a few leaks, in the overhead but most boats have a few when the ocean is breaking over the bow for 3-4 days. Original engine, I rebuilt in 96.

Now ashore but we sail Maine every summer.

- Every boat is a compromise
JSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 15:11   #6
CLOD

How did you find the motion/comfort? I ask as the boat is pretty light displacement for it's size. But it has a lot of ballast and I just can not figure out how this is going to ride. How much spray did you get in the cockpit from the design (ie how wet is it). How's the cockpit space? I would welcome your thoughts and since there doesn't really appear to be much on the model if you put it here on the forum it will be available for others in search info the boat.
Old 20-02-2010, 15:16   #7

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Why cant all used boats be that well looked after and clean?
Old 25-02-2010, 15:20   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSea View Post
I have own / sailed a Morgan 454 for over 13 years. 5th sailboat. For me it is great coastal and blue water sailboat. Sails fast, roomy below. We lived aboard for 7 years. Best time of our life.

Took a year to find the one I wanted. Not a Morgan boat design, designed by Nelson/Marek and build at the Morgan plant. IOR rated boat. Many were build for charter in the islands ("Buy a boat and charter it - let someone else pay for it") was popular sales theme back in the 80s. Many came off charter - worn / minimal upkeep. Most still around have been worked and maintained. Make sure any additions or corrections were by someone who was competent.

I have sailed the boat in several storms. One was a stationary low off Bermuda which hung around a week. 45-60 Knts wind and seas build up to 28+ ft. Boat was strong and Nothing broke. Found a few leaks, in the overhead but most boats have a few when the ocean is breaking over the bow for 3-4 days. Original engine, I rebuilt in 96.

Now ashore but we sail Maine every summer.

- Every boat is a compromise

So here was a first post from someone who just looks to have disappeared! I even sent them an email asking for more input because I have had an attraction to these boats. I wonder if the boat they talk about is for sale as there is one in Maine that has been listed and price dropped a while (one of the ones that got me interested in the model). You would think if so they would put more effeort into selling me on the boat!

Just a rant in general!
Old 25-02-2010, 15:35   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Hey Don, I have a friend who just bought a Morgan 454 about two years ago. He is a single hander, though hasn't taken it out by himself yet I believe. PM me your email address and I will pass it along to him, maybe the morgan people are just tight lipped? They are beautiful boats and have fantastic headroom down below (he is 6 foot 4). I hope to finagal a sail outta him in the spring.
Erika
Old 02-03-2010, 07:40   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Erika: Just visited your blog. Great job and enjoyed getting to know you. Enjoy OG.
David
Old 09-04-2010, 07:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
How did you find the motion/comfort? I ask as the boat is pretty light displacement for it's size. But it has a lot of ballast and I just can not figure out how this is going to ride. How much spray did you get in the cockpit from the design (ie how wet is it). How's the cockpit space? I would welcome your thoughts and since there doesn't really appear to be much on the model if you put it here on the forum it will be available for others in search info the boat.
IMHO - 454 rides well. Spray in cockpit - only in heavy seas - force 8 or 9 winds. Cockpit size, everybody has an idea size. The 454 is large enough for 4/5 adults + stuff, small enough to not take on a lot of water in a storm. My orientation is to plan for the worse, to enjoy tomorrow. When cruising, spare parts, sails, fuel, water and blue water equipment added weight.
At anchor in quiet coves, sailing friends alway say - "gee, there is a lot of space down here". I added a inner forestay (plus raft, SSB, radar, heater and etc.) for offshore and storm trisail. I come from the Eric Hiscock view of cruising.

As you can read, I like my boat. Just had hull repainted and No, this one is not for sale.
J.
JSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 17:03   #12

Morgan 454

I've been looking at Morgan 454's to berth on the west coast of Florida.
Draft is critical. Morgan specs quote a 5' draft. One owner reports 5'5" another reports 5'3". Can you be of any help here? Thanks!
theredboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 19:31   #13

I have a question regarding a 45' Morgan 454 K/CB Sloop...

in the add on yachtworld.com, it states "She is now for sale as her owners wish to purchase a larger vessel to sail offshore." could someone tell me i thought that this boat was perfect for blue water... am i wrong?

Thanks for your help!
Rengoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2010, 19:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredboat View Post
I've been looking at Morgan 454's to berth on the west coast of Florida.
Draft is critical. Morgan specs quote a 5' draft. One owner reports 5'5" another reports 5'3". Can you be of any help here? Thanks!

take a look here for details on this boat. MORGAN 45-4 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

but on a 454 on yachtworld.com... they are saying Maximum Draft: 5'/7'6"... adjustable?
Rengoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2010, 08:06   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengoku View Post
take a look here for details on this boat. MORGAN 45-4 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

but on a 454 on yachtworld.com... they are saying Maximum Draft: 5'/7'6"... adjustable?
Centreboard version X' board up, & >X' board down.
Fin keel version fixed.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan