Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 08:41   #1

Advice for first sailboat

Been lurking and reading through these forums for a few years now, but haven't really posted much. However, as my wife and I amble our way off to retirement, we've been seriously considering a plan to reduce our footprint in the world and sail away once retirement starts (and the kids are off on their own). Neither of us are spring chickens - 51 and 46 respectively and only have minor sailing experience currently. We both love the water and sailing in general and feel this will be a good fit for us once the kids have moved on and our careers are over.

We live in the Annapolis area in MD. I'll be retiring first, then the wife will follow about 2-5 years after.

So (as a background) here's the plan first, then questions ... and thanks for all those that stay with me till the end

We're saving up now for a starter/intermediate sailboat (budget is around $65k) - I say starter/intermediate sailboat because I'd rather buy just one sailboat that can survive the Chesapeake - but when the time comes, can take either myself or my wife offshore - in comfort and safety when we're experienced enough and want to take the leap for short trips. Over the same three years, we intend to take classes, charter, and generally prep to take ownership. We also hope to visit and see a number of sailboats to narrow down our choices.

With the boat in hand, we'll continue to sail and enjoy the the Chesapeake as much as possible and when I can, I intend to try and crew at least once a year to get more experience - especially offshore if possible. This should give us about 10-12 years of coastal, gunkholing experience (with a little offshore experience thrown in hopefully).

Eventually, the Admiral has said we'll downsize everything, sell the first boat, and grab a used catamaran (42-47') for the retirement part of the journey - with the hope of doing some Caribbean and European sailing at first and wherever the wind and our health will let us go afterward.

Sailboats need to call to us - we realize it's definitely an emotionally buy (and a money hole in the water - so we don't expect to make money on a sailboat purchase - )

As a matter of taste - I need to lean more into European boat design - like HR 352s or Malo 106s, as well as classic Robert Perry boats (wth a little less teak on top for either if possible). The wife tends to be a little more of a minimalist but isn't set on any particular design (she's more interested in heeling a little less).

So here's the question - knowing all this - what's a good starter/intermediate sailboat for us and our plans (Cruising couple with occassional guests)? We're looking for suggestions and thoughts.

(Again - I would prefer not to get two boats - a coastal cruiser, then a heavier, sea-kindly offshore capable boat if possible - got two kids to get through college and the sailing kiddie is modest).

Here's a list of some of the boats we're interested in (sadly most of which we're yet to see): Albin Nimbus 41, Baba 35, Cal 39, Corbin 39, Endeavour 37, Ericson 39(B), Fast Passage 39, HR 35, HR 352, Malo 106/116, Moody 376, Pacific Seacraft 34, Pacific Seacraft 37, Pearson 40, Perry 41, Peterson 44, Rival 41, Tartan 37, Tashiba 36, Tayana 37, Tanyana 42(CC), Wauquiez Hood 38, Valiant 39/40. We realize some of these will be on the edge of our budget, but don't mind fixing the boat up if needed.

Look forward to any questions or comments (respectful - please) made.
Soulseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 09:20   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Advice for first sailboat

I understand your not wanting to get multiple boats. Honestly, your thoughts on what boat you want will probably change over the next 5 years of sailing in the bay. I'd suggest considering a smaller 30' boat in really good condition. Get a generic coastal boat that has a solid market. Catalina 30 is a solid boat, you can get one cheap. If you keep it in good shape, you can sell it pretty easy.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 09:44   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

If you can get a good condition Cal39, that might be all you need. Or one that you sail and work on over the next few years.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 09:48   #4

Get out and look at some of those boats. A lot of good ones on your list. I think you are pushing the budget with many of those though.
The somewhat rare Fast Passage 39 has long been a favorite of mine. Another one for your list to keep you in budget is a Cape Dory 36 or larger.

"We realize some of these will be on the edge of our budget, but don't mind fixing the boat up if needed."
This may be a false narrative, 'fixing up' can be very costly. Dont ask how I know! The boat in my avatar was bought for $65k. I ended up with $110K in it.

Buy a boat you THINK inees just a little work. it will be a fixer even so.
If you want to end up with $65k in a boat you better find one for $45k.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 11:12   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I understand your not wanting to get multiple boats. Honestly, your thoughts on what boat you want will probably change over the next 5 years of sailing in the bay. I'd suggest considering a smaller 30' boat in really good condition. Get a generic coastal boat that has a solid market. Catalina 30 is a solid boat, you can get one cheap. If you keep it in good shape, you can sell it pretty easy.
This seems a more prudent approach, cost to maintain and repair increases exponentially by the foot including bowsprits and boomkins.
Well, all those boats are perfectly fine for their intended uses but most would be a considerable PITA for new sailors to take our for a day on a bay. Always figured it was better to get the best boat for the budget instead of the biggest. How much time you really have to spend "fixing" a boat ? And in a place where it can get too cold to sail or work on the boat how many nice days you want to waste on the working part. You can buy an absolutely pristine boat and just keeping it that way can be a full time job.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 11:23   #6

Sorry, but you lost me when you leapt from a number of very respectable offshore cruisers for a couple to "grab a 42-47' catamaran"... those are such diametrically opposed concepts that all that tells me is that (1) you and the Admiral have widely divergent views of what this endeavour will be; and (2) neither of you knows what you want.

Best take Cheechako's advice above and actually get out there and look at some actual boats - and maybe sail a few of them.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 15:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
We did consider some of the Catalinas (as they are all over this area), but the brand doesn't inspire me to sail (most remind me of RVs on the inside - have the same basic problem with the Hunters we've looked at). Plus we've been on some smaller boats (33' and under) and neither I nor the wife like them much.
Old 26-07-2020, 15:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
If you can get a good condition Cal39, that might be all you need. Or one that you sail and work on over the next few years.
Yup - still eyeing that one!
Old 26-07-2020, 15:16   #9

Cheechako - we definitely have our eyes open and understand that the budget is just the downpayment, so to speak.

If we can find something in the $45-$50k zone that would be great as I suspect anything we get will need updating. But we both realize that $65k will not be the end of it - and we're ok with that. We'd like to fix up whatever we get and make her ours.

Definitely will continue to look for the Fast Passage - but like you said, they seem to rarely ever wander over from the West Coast.

I am still considering the the Cape Dory, but I heard once that she's a pretty wet boat - do you know? Haven't ever sailed one. I think the wife and I would prefer something that keeps you mostly dry if possible.
Old 26-07-2020, 15:21   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
This seems a more prudent approach, cost to maintain and repair increases exponentially by the foot including bowsprits and boomkins.
Well, all those boats are perfectly fine for their intended uses but most would be a considerable PITA for new sailors to take our for a day on a bay. Always figured it was better to get the best boat for the budget instead of the biggest. How much time you really have to spend "fixing" a boat ? And in a place where it can get too cold to sail or work on the boat how many nice days you want to waste on the working part. You can buy an absolutely pristine boat and just keeping it that way can be a full time job.
Appreciate the thoughts Calif.Ted. and we think the budget is doable for a lot of the boats considered - and a stretch for some. We're open to other ideas, if they fit what we're shooting for ... I do think it's a good idea to nail down a few good models we like before we get there since who knows what the market will have at the time.
Old 26-07-2020, 15:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Sorry, but you lost me when you leapt from a number of very respectable offshore cruisers for a couple to "grab a 42-47' catamaran"... those are such diametrically opposed concepts that all that tells me is that (1) you and the Admiral have widely divergent views of what this endeavour will be; and (2) neither of you knows what you want.

Best take Cheechako's advice above and actually get out there and look at some actual boats - and maybe sail a few of them.

LittleWing77
LittleWing ... I realize that the monohull and catamaran are two very different places. One is a means to the end. We don't have the $250k-$450k needed to run out and buy a catamaran now, so we're saving up and learning as much as we can on a monohull. Eventually, we will be in a position to buy a cat, and hopefully we'll be better experienced and ready for one.

The search will continue ...
Old 26-07-2020, 15:31   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

From the list you have provided, I would opt for:

a Moody 376 or a Pacific Seacraft 37.

Both are known to sail very well and since they offer very different interiors and deck lay-outs (aft cockpit vs. center cockpit), I think one of these could fit your preferences better.

I have sailed both, although in both cases only on Caribbean island-to-island hops.

Some of the boats you listed are very heavy boats. I would not buy such a heavy boat as my first boat (nor as my second boat, unless my cruising grounds were to remain definitely and predominately the heavy weather zone).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 08:58   #13

Moody, hands down. A wonderful ocean cruising sloop. But I've only sailed it in Northern waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Both are known to sail very well and since they offer very different interiors and deck lay-outs (aft cockpit vs. center cockpit), I think one of these could fit your preferences better.

I have sailed both, although in both cases only on Caribbean island-to-island hops.

Some of the boats you listed are very heavy boats. I would not buy such a heavy boat as my first boat (nor as my second boat, unless my cruising grounds were to remain definitely and predominately the heavy weather zone).

Cheers,
b.
Old 27-07-2020, 09:18   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Cheers,
b.
Will definitely keep an eye out for the Moodys, although I rarely see them further up the Atlantic seaboard at that size. The PC 37 is definitely of interest but is close to the end of my budget so I am not sure if I would be able to snag one - still I love the look of them.
Old 27-07-2020, 09:27   #15

Boat: Jboats/j-100/33

My advice: j -37 very solid boat and fast
Also within your budget.
Sailathon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat