Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2020, 17:20   #1

Thumbs up Good starter trailer sailboat?

Hello everyone. I'm excited to join the forum and wanted some advice on a good starter boat. I've looked at the Catalina 22 and the MacGregor 22 and 25. I have a Honda Ridgeline vehicle with a towing capacity of 5000 lbs and GCWR of 10,085, so I'm limited on options I think beyond a C22.

Based on experience what are people's thoughts on whether to go with a Mac 25 v. Catalina 22? My goals are for day sailing with the occasional overnight perhaps or weekend camping (not necessarily on the boat). I've taken the ASA 101 course in SF bay and want to use the boat for lake sailing, and it is doubtful I would use it in the bay.

I'm not particular, just would like some tips or advice from other owners. Thanks so much.

John
Buckwhidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 17:46   #2

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran
Re: Good starter trailer sailboat?

I had a Catalina 22 for a few years. It was a good little boat. A little cramped for anything but an overnighter and best kept to flat water. Like most trailer-sailers they are very tender so avoid gusty conditions. The good thing about the Catalina is that the keel hangs under the hull, maximising internal volume and meaning that it also sails quite well with the keel up.
As for the MacGregors, I have only been on the 28ft version. It is sort of a hybrid between a power boat and a sail boat. Being water ballast is good because you can have a bigger boat for the same weight and very shallow draft. Sailing performance is compromised though. Assuming that the MacGregor 22 and 25 are just smaller versions of the 28, I would say if you just want to sail, go for the Catalina, if you want more space, go for the MacGregor 25.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 17:48   #3

Thanks so much!
Buckwhidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 18:25   #4
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
I had a Catalina 22 for a few years. It was a good little boat. A little cramped for anything but an overnighter and best kept to flat water. Like most trailer-sailers they are very tender so avoid gusty conditions. The good thing about the Catalina is that the keel hangs under the hull, maximising internal volume and meaning that it also sails quite well with the keel up.
As for the MacGregors, I have only been on the 28ft version. It is sort of a hybrid between a power boat and a sail boat. Being water ballast is good because you can have a bigger boat for the same weight and very shallow draft. Sailing performance is compromised though. Assuming that the MacGregor 22 and 25 are just smaller versions of the 28, I would say if you just want to sail, go for the Catalina, if you want more space, go for the MacGregor 25.
It’s funny you think it’s a 28 when it’s a 26. Days something about the layout the 22/25S&D are not the same as the 26x or 26m or the newest Tattoo 26. Only issue with compromised sailing on the X&M is the crappy stock sails that came with them. Good sails, proper rig running and they perform quit well, tender yes up to 45’.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 18:48   #5

Precision 23 & some of the smaller S2’s
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 18:51   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I had a Catalina 22 for a few years. It was a good little boat. A little cramped for anything but an overnighter and best kept to flat water. Like most trailer-sailers they are very tender so avoid gusty conditions.
Good little boat: yes indeed. I owned hull 61 out of the ten thousand + built, sailed it for 7 years mostly in SF Bay, but with excursions to the Channel Islands and Canadian Gulf islands and Monterrey Bay... up to a month duration with wife and two kids. Yes, a bit cramped but do-able and a hell of a lot of fun. Also raced her in SF bay...

So, I think the above evaluation sells the design a bit short. A surprisingly competent little boat IMO, and well suited to your aims. And being so popular, there's always a good market in them, so fairly easy to buy and then later to sell.

Jim
Old 20-07-2020, 19:36   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Check out the Sage Marine sailboats. I have never owned one but have been on one and found these are very well thought out . https://www.sagemarine.com/product/sage-17/

Also, if you can find one a Dovekie or a Sea Pearl are nice sailing boats perfect for camp cruising. Very easy to own and a joy to sail.
Old 21-07-2020, 08:42   #8

Boat: 40' Leopard

catalina is a great boat and large fleet every where .
Great 1st boat .Also very cheap
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 09:04   #9

Boat: Kelly-Peterson 44

We had a Macgregor 25. It is NOT a smaller version of the 26. The 25 is a swing keel sailboat. We had a 7HP outboard mounted on the bracket. It is a great starter boat. We explored all over SF Bay with our two pre-teen kids. It was just barely big enough for the 4 of us to do overnights with. We had it for a year, sailing it an average of 3 weekends a month before we moved up to a Catalina 30 then a Tayana 37 and finally a Kelly-Peterson 44. We eventually took each of the last 2 boats to the S. Pacific and back.
Dan Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 09:09   #10

Catalina's are often easy to resell compared with other boats. Short trailer trips? Or long? 25 can feel a lot roomier than a 22.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 09:17   #11

Boat: Seaward 25

Because you live and sail in the west, I would avoid water ballast boats. With the spread of quagga/zebra mussels, many states are becoming very anal with their inspections. The first thing seem to be asking these days is “does it have any water ballast tanks”. If the answer is yes, you pull over to the side while they fire up their equipment and heat up water to 140 degrees to fill the tank.

I think the Catalina 22 is one of the best trailer sailors out there.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 09:24   #12

You can't go wrong with a catalina 22. I had an Oday 222 not the older 22.

I really liked the boat I had it for several years. It's well built and sails very well. It's a keel centerboard instead of a swing keel. I'd still have it if the wife didn't want a boat with a real head instead of a porta potty.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 09:34   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Precision 23 & some of the smaller S2’s

I like the smaller open cockpit Precisions like the P185. the centerboard model only weighs around 600 lbs. with 6" draft for ease of launching. this would be a fun lake boat.
Old 21-07-2020, 09:45   #14

Boat: Pearson 34-2

All good choices for a starter. I would also consider the Rhodes 22. We sailed one for many years, being my father-in-laws boat, which he had for many years. Still in the family, my brother-in-law has it now. Good solid boat.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2020, 09:49   #15

Boat: Shark 24 / Compac23

Compac 23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Moon FullSizeRender (5).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	441.8 KB
ID:	219724  
Favoured Tack is offline   Reply With Quote