Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 08:05   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Sailing On A Schedule

I know it's been pointed out on here many times that sailing on a schedule is not a good idea and for long distance cruisers even dangerous..

Luckily I'm a coastal cruiser for now and the schedule so far has only added discomfort for longer than expected.

So after a few days out, I was about 30 miles from home.

I awoke Sunday am to waves coming into my anchorage. Maybe 2' or so which I knew this was going to happen according to the forecast and luckily it wasn't until around 4 am by the time I could tell and it got progressively worse. Problem was due to the tide and wind, the boat was almost abeam to the seas.

It was a good, calm spot for about 13 hours though to get some rest, eat and sleep along the Eastern Side of the bay in some slight land cover for the then conditions.

Wind was coming from directly where I wanted to go though. Forecast was for 5-10 but it was near 15 knots by around 8 am with waves 3'-4' steep and closely spaced

So first tack was at about 320 degrees (compass) due to my position on the Eastern side of the bay when about 200 would have been direct ticket home

Next was about 170 degrees (GPS) but pounding almost into the waves. I had to tack several more times to avoid ships then a dredger that kept moving.

Tide was outgoing for the first 3 hours which was a plus.

There's nothing really outstanding here except when you are tired and ready to be home it's not fun.

Also, I have an outboard and it was too rough to motor until I was about 9 miles out and close enough to land to calm the waves a bit.

Long story short, the trip started at daylight around 5:30 am or so and I got to the dock around 2 pm

About 1/3rd of the way back, I spotted 4 other sailboats within 10 miles of my position headed in a similar direction southerly.

One was coming in from the ocean it appeared. He was maybe 36'-40' heading West. These guys gave me some entertainment while I pounded into the waves dreaming of more water line and a deep fin keel (I have 19.75' and 4' draft) The one coming in from the ocean passed just ahead of me when I would have easily passed ahead of him with a similar style boat.

So after I got back I was thinking if I was retired, I would have simply stayed on my first tack of 320 degrees and found a nice calm creek on the western side of the bay which would have been a short 20 -25 mile sail on the best, calmest tack and stayed there for the day.

I'll look forward to being able to do that in the future.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 13:11   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Sailing On A Schedule

At least you got out and had an adventure. You were in well before dark and it sounds like the conditions were boisterous for you, but not really dangerous. You learned some things, too. Sounds like a good day, actually, even if you were tired at the end.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 14:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
At least you got out and had an adventure. You were in well before dark and it sounds like the conditions were boisterous for you, but not really dangerous. You learned some things, too. Sounds like a good day, actually, even if you were tired at the end.
You are totally correct and after I got home, got cleaned up, and was sitting in front of the TV with a beer in my hand, it didn't even seem boring! (sitting there)

But, If I'd had a choice, I would rather have made that trip on something like your J/36.......with it's 30.5' of waterline and 6.6' fin keel. And it's 43.5 % bal/disp ratio, and it's fractional rig, and it's sail area/disp of 22.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/j36

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-27
Old 25-08-2020, 18:11   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

You might have gotten in before lunch. Maybe in time for breakfast.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 03:51   #5

Definitely before lunch.

I did locate a Tartan 34C nearby though. Actually about 20 miles from where I was dodging the ships. Quite old but in decent condition.

I'm thinking it would have made things quite a bit better than my Bristol with it's 25' LWL and 8' plus draft with centerboard down. Plus it's 11,200 lb displacement

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...n-34c-3705877/

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tartan-34-c

Damn, I just noticed the same marina/broker has this awesome boat for sale! And it already has the cutout in the well for the engine.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...ol-27-3689768/
Old 26-08-2020, 04:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Definitely before lunch.

I did locate a Tartan 34C nearby though. Actually about 20 miles from where I was dodging the ships. Quite old but in decent condition.
Now Thomm, that would be a great step-up boat for you!!!

Snap it up before someone else does (it's too reasonably priced!)

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2020, 06:28   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Now Thomm, that would be a great step-up boat for you!!!

Snap it up before someone else does (it's too reasonably priced!)

Good luck,
LittleWing77
Yep, the price is good, but I'm in the process of paying off the family "farm" where my extended family lives and I will one day.

I'd probably have to move out of my apartment and liveaboard to avoid using savings for the purchase if I went ahead with it.

Besides I already have a boat!

Seriously though, I just haven't sailed that much this year to justify another boat with all the time I spent getting the new Tech Certification Requirements for work by passing the exams.

Also, there's a new weekend coming with predicted winds for Saturday of 20 knots SW which is a nice downwind run for me and then on Sunday 18 knots NW for the sleigh ride home.........

Sailing a small full keel boat does have it's challenges though and during my extended weekend sail last week I had to deal with a couple of them. Sailing upwind in decent wind with a short waterline on a full keel boat.

Wind and tide were opposed to each other for me the first 3-4 hours sailing heading back but 6 hours total where the waves had a chance to get ugly and they stayed ugly until I was maybe 9-10 miles from my destination where the land could block the wind a bit
Old 05-09-2020, 20:30   #8

This time I was in a slightly different spot, but the wind was favorable if a bit heavy.

It was work, but I crossed this time in 3 hours instead of 8 and 1/2.

And didn't break anything except part of the dodger frame. Was worrying about the rudder/tiller though. (wrong sail combo)

Tags
sail, sailing