Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2020, 11:37   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35
Advice sailing Boston to Isles of Shoals

Forgive me if there is a thread on this already; I searched and was not successful... I am looking to sail Friday from Boston to Isles of Shoals and stay Friday and Saturday nights, heading back Sunday. From the Waterway Guide and other research, it seems that it is recommended to pick up a mooring ball in Gosport Harbor. These moorings are privately owned, though it is said they are available unless the owner shows up. I'm concerned that I'd be arriving around 6pm and not have a mooring available. Does anyone have any experience here? If I can't get a mooring, what are my best options? My understanding is the Gosport harbor doesn't really have much room for anchoring and the holding is poor. I'm sailing an O'Day 35 with a 5'6" draft, a delta anchor and a davenport (?) second anchor. Any advice on both mooring/anchoring and the trip in general is most welcome. Thanks! Rich
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:54   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Advice sailing Boston to Isles of Shoals

I have anchored there when there aren't any balls open. As long as no gale it is OK. If that doesn't work for you you can cut across to Kittery Point and get a ball or anchor there.

Nothing really at Isle of Shoals! Consider instead anchoring in the cove on north side of Rockport or going to Gloucester.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:24   #3

Boat: Bayliner, 4588, 45'

I was out at Isle of Shoals today. Plenty of anchorage. You'ld be protected except from north west / west wind. I've anchored there a few times and found the holding good - albeit was not in a gale.

Last 3 times I've seen whales. Saw a pod of dolphin two weeks ago. There's been reports of football bluefin on the outside last few weeks.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 09:14   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

Thanks for the advice. I just wanted to check back in to let you know that we had no problem getting a mooring ball. The wind was gusting between 20-30kts, so I was happy to be on a mooring. However, a larger sailboat was anchored and it didn't even swing (must have had stern anchors out as well). The winds were from the NE, so it was very well protected; you could see the spray jumping 20 feet off the breakwall, but inside the harbor is was just a little wavy from the short fetch.

Be advised that the islands are closed during Covid, so we couldn't go ashore.

I did have Kittery as an out, so thanks for that advice as well. It was a nice sail and a pleasant stay, though, to Sailorboy1's point, not a lot there to do. But then, I just like sitting on the boat looking at the sunset and other boats!

Thanks again for the advice. Rich
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing