Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 02:58   #1

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Back from a 2 weeks Lucia 40 charter - couple of questions.

Last month we had the cance to test one of the boats we have on our bucket list, the Lucia 40.

We plan to purchase a 37-40 foot cat within the next 2-3 years. The Lucia 40 is one of our favorites.

Before our final decision on what boat we will buy, we are sailing them for a couple of weeks.

We really like the FP Lucia 40. Build quality is good, helm station and sailing great. I think a great boat for liveaboard. We sailed the 4cabins/2head version. Sizze of the heads is still ok and acceptable for me. Shower area very spacious. I admire the owners of that great cat!

Overall i found 90% pros and just 10% cons, or lets say issues i would like to address.

One thing i did not like was the head clearance of the aft cabins. A bounced my head a couple of times, especially in the night, see attached pic. I am 1,85 meters tall. Not really a giant. So i think i might not be the only one with that problem.
When i mentioned the low clearance to a sales lady on the FP area on the Boot in Dusseldorf a couple of years ago, she answered: You will get used to it. Well, i did not.

So is there a chance to modify/cut that area? Maybe by reinforcing with a SS profile afterwards? did you guys get "used to it" (bouncing your head)? Or do you sleep in the bow cabins? The bow cabins have enough clearance...

We chartered the cat in the tropics. And we will need an AC in the master cabin during nighttime - no AC needed in the salon or during daytime. We did not have an AC on this boat.
Question to the owners who installed an aftermarket AC. What kind of AC did you install? split system of monoblocs? Where did you install it? Once the door is closed in the master cabin, it looks like a small unit will do the job to keep that area cool enough. What is your experience?

When anchoring, we like to use a second anchoror kellet on the chain. We attach it a couple of meters (10-15m)behind the first anchor on the bow chain (not a stern anchor).
On the Lagoons, where the chain runs on top of the foredeck, thats quite easy. The hidden chain setup on the Lucia 40 makes that only possible using a dinghi. Any workaround on that? Or you just dont anchor that way?

Thanks!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucia.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	220502  
Old 02-08-2020, 04:52   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Back from a 2 weeks Lucia 40 charter - couple of questions.

That low clearance is a bulkhead, so you don't want to modify that. After 4 years, I mostly avoid it on our helia (I'm 6'3").

We installed a 3 zone aircon. We rarely use it except in marinas. When we do, we just run the starboard hull at night and the salon during the day.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:19   #3

Boat: EDELCAT33

Sounds like a nice opportunity to soften the profile of that bulkhead. A foam wedge in either side covered with vinyl leather or similar so if you forget to duck you hit the foam and not the bulkhead
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 00:43   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
Sounds like a nice opportunity to soften the profile of that bulkhead. A foam wedge in either side covered with vinyl leather or similar so if you forget to duck you hit the foam and not the bulkhead

We added a $5 foam strip to the bulkhead. Works well
hobsonlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:30   #5

Boat: 44 FP Cat & 45 Sea Ray motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscis View Post
Last month we had the cance to test one of the boats we have on our bucket list, the Lucia 40.

We plan to purchase a 37-40 foot cat within the next 2-3 years. The Lucia 40 is one of our favorites.

Before our final decision on what boat we will buy, we are sailing them for a couple of weeks.

We really like the FP Lucia 40. Build quality is good, helm station and sailing great. I think a great boat for liveaboard. We sailed the 4cabins/2head version. Sizze of the heads is still ok and acceptable for me. Shower area very spacious. I admire the owners of that great cat!

Overall i found 90% pros and just 10% cons, or lets say issues i would like to address.

One thing i did not like was the head clearance of the aft cabins. A bounced my head a couple of times, especially in the night, see attached pic. I am 1,85 meters tall. Not really a giant. So i think i might not be the only one with that problem.
When i mentioned the low clearance to a sales lady on the FP area on the Boot in Dusseldorf a couple of years ago, she answered: You will get used to it. Well, i did not.

So is there a chance to modify/cut that area? Maybe by reinforcing with a SS profile afterwards? did you guys get "used to it" (bouncing your head)? Or do you sleep in the bow cabins? The bow cabins have enough clearance...

We chartered the cat in the tropics. And we will need an AC in the master cabin during nighttime - no AC needed in the salon or during daytime. We did not have an AC on this boat.
Question to the owners who installed an aftermarket AC. What kind of AC did you install? split system of monoblocs? Where did you install it? Once the door is closed in the master cabin, it looks like a small unit will do the job to keep that area cool enough. What is your experience?

When anchoring, we like to use a second anchoror kellet on the chain. We attach it a couple of meters (10-15m)behind the first anchor on the bow chain (not a stern anchor).
On the Lagoons, where the chain runs on top of the foredeck, thats quite easy. The hidden chain setup on the Lucia 40 makes that only possible using a dinghi. Any workaround on that? Or you just dont anchor that way?

Thanks!

John
I own an Orana FP 44 . I am 6'3" myself. Bumping my head annoys we most in and out of the heads. The rest of the bulkheads I navigate with some success.

I too wish they would strengthen the boat with wider bulkheads in stead of going with the lesser material but lower vertical bulkheads.

Be it as it may, just came from visiting 8 yacht builders in South Africa. The Leopard gave me surprisingly fair head space all around and I found the dodging of bulkheads less intrusive. There were also 3 manufacturers custom building yachts, that could assist in building vessels with hight requirements in mind.

Take note that the average Italian and French communities are not that tall and accounts for what they consider as "sufficient" head room.
Gerrit Coetzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 04:02   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Thanks for your answers.

Foam seems to be a good idea. If done nicely it still would look ok...

Allen, did you install an aftermarket AC? Or you have the factory option?

Gerrit, i agree, there are a couple of cat builders that design that area with sufficient clearance. AFAIR, the Lagoon 40 was the only cat (in that sizze range) on the BOOT in Dusseldorf, where i could stand below that bulkhead without bouncing my forehead. The Bali 4.0 was close as well, with a little less clearance as the Lagoon 40...
Old 20-08-2020, 06:41   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I didn’t put anything on the bulkhead because it would just make it lower. I tend to just graze it. AC was installed aftermarket. FP are not great at providing access for cables and ducts so it good to use somebody who knows the boat.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter