Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 01:23   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Two Sailors Killed in Collision with MotorBoat, Turku Archipelago

Sad news:

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/b...elago/10907930

Not too many details at this point, other than that the mobo involved was a 48 foot Fairlane Targa, typically with twin 480hp Volvos, and capable of 33 knots.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:54   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Two Sailors Killed in Collision with Mobo, Turku Archipelago

Likely the usual "Watch these guys bounce as I buzz them.." gone wrong..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:00   #3

Re: Two Sailors Killed in Collision with Mobo, Turku Archipelago

Or, they'll say it wasn't their fault. They were down below. The autopilot was driving. Blame it.
Old 15-08-2019, 02:22   #4

Boat: Hanse 531
Fatal sailboat-motoryacht accident

This happened over here close to where we live about one and a half weeks ago.

A large motoryacht collided with a small sailboat. Two persons on the sailboat died in the accident.

Google Translated:
https://translate.google.com/transla...t%2F3-10906998

Here's a bit more information. Google didn't translate it, but maybe someone else has more success: https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000006195235.html

As a result of this there is a renewed discussion about requiring some kind of driver's license for people driving big yachts. At the moment no special permits are needed so if you are at least 15 years old, you can legally get out on the water with anything under 79 feet long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13-3-10907703.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	197898  
Old 15-08-2019, 04:21   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 28

If you look closely at the picture of the power boat (disclosure: I currently own a share in one), you will notice that the hull shape is for running in near offshore conditions in seas in the “up to 4 feet” range. It can handle more but the ride starts to get uncomfortable with bigger waves. There is no fly-bridge. Notice the wipers on the windshield, the angle of the windshields, the color of the “dashboard” and the thickness of the “quarters”. This boat at 20 to 30 knots will kick up considerable spray, requiring continuous use of washers and wipers, particularly going uphill. In addition the bow will rise, maybe 15 degrees or so, there will be lots of interior reflections of the white dash on the spray streaked windshield and the view is heavily compromised from other than directly ahead. As the bow rises going over waves, the straight ahead view is of just the foredeck for several seconds at a time. The short version is that it is difficult to see anything smaller than a container ship on a boat like this when travelling “uphill” at speed and you only need momentary inattention to find yourself on top of a smaller vessel, dinghy, fishermen, whatever. The power boat shown has a radar antenna but most amateur boaters do not have the experience to use such and that sailing boat would be hard to spot in any kind of sea. There is little point in sounding a warning horn if you see such a vessel approaching, as it would take a direct lightning strike to be heard over the sound of a pair of 480 HP turbo-charged Volvo diesels.

A boat with fly-bridge steering would have much better visibility but the motion is considerable at height and requires a deckhand to handle the lines when docking, thus this style is popular only with sports fishermen. The visibility from the power boat shown in the picture could perhaps be improved by going to a grey matte finish on the interior dashboard.

This accident was a tragedy for everyone involved and my recommendation to fellow sailors is to try to get out of the way, unless you see an obvious course change from the power boat acknowledging that you have been seen.
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 05:27   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmundsteele View Post
. . . This accident was a tragedy for everyone involved and my recommendation to fellow sailors is to try to get out of the way, unless you see an obvious course change from the power boat acknowledging that you have been seen.
Ed

Finland doesn't give long prison sentences for manslaughter, so I guess this is a much bigger tragedy for the dead guys and their families, than it was for the mobo crew.

So you're saying that you can't even see out of these things when they are being operated at 20 to 30 knots?! How should they even be allowed to exist, if that is true? Horrifying.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 05:34   #7

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Yup, another power boater at high closing speed in close quarters.... Que up the Colregs discussion, because we all know that will change the reckless behavior.

Fair winds to all,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 05:54   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

looks like yet another example of the -have money, buy shiny fast power boat- navy having no clue. Sad.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 09:09   #9

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmundsteele View Post
This accident was a tragedy for everyone involved and my recommendation to fellow sailors is to try to get out of the way, unless you see an obvious course change from the power boat acknowledging that you have been seen.
Ed
It's really difficult to get out of the way, though. A lot of small craft going in both directions of sometimes narrow channels, changing course frequently along with the channel markers. As a sailboat you are quite used to being a "sitting duck" overtaken on both sides by much quicker motorboats. A lot of times they are coming straight at you (because of the channel and other traffic) and then turning away quite close, let's say ten-twenty seconds before CPA.

Sure, you can get some meters to port or starboard in ten-twenty seconds, but then on the other hand, they might have planned to overtake on the side and my obligation really is to keep the same speed and course.

The sailboat has quite few options, sadly.
Old 16-08-2019, 09:16   #10

This is a terrible event.
JonColyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2020, 23:53   #11

Boat: Inferno 31, 1985
Re: Two Sailors Killed in Collision with MotorBoat, Turku Archipelago

Update on this:

Safety Investigation Authorities technical investigation: https://turvallisuustutkinta.fi/en/index/tutkintaselostukset/vesiliikenneonnettomuuksientutkinta/tutkintaselostuksetvuosittain/2019/m2019-02huviveneidenyhteentormaysairistonselalla3.8.2019 .html

Finnish only https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-11368757: criminal charges for motorboat skipper are to be decided by prosecutors. It will be heavy if it goes through: killing of two lives, injury of one and traffic rules violation.
Petri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, arc, boat, collision, mob, motor, motoryacht, sail, sailboat, yacht