Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2016, 21:37   #1

Central America/Panama Charts

Hello,

Anyone kind enough to point me to the right direction on where or how I can get charts for Central America more specific Panama for use with OpenCPN? Thank you in advance.

Javier.
falconele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 06:32   #2

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Central America/Panama Charts

cm93 covers the entire world.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 07:03   #3

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

As far as Panama goes, the best charts by far in the Bauhaus cruising guide. Far more accurate than anything else out there. His cruising guide can be bought online. We got scanned in charts from the book but not sure if he puts those on his webwsite or if another cruiser scanned them.

Philosaophical point for me is that I would not have used the scanned charts if we had not bought the book. He is a small operation and I want to help him keep putting out the book.

The CM93 charts were pretty good for most areas, but, except for Bauhaus in Panama, they all pretty much have errors.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 07:15   #4
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

There are S-63/S-57 charts for Panama available. 10 in total plus 5 issued by the Panama Channel Authority two weeks ago which reflect the new locks etc.
The latter we have not seen yet in the Chartworld catalogue. Admiralty is listing them already.
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 18:59   #5

Can anyone advise me on using Bauhaus overlays on OpenCPN on a Mac?
The overlays, I have installed, do not lay flat on the map, they are angled obliquely. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
Nordlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 00:37   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordlys View Post
Can anyone advise me on using Bauhaus overlays on OpenCPN on a Mac?
The overlays, I have installed, do not lay flat on the map, they are angled obliquely. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?
Just for reference. I am able to display scanned Bahaus charts correctly under OpenCPN on both Windows and Android.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 00:42   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post
As far as Panama goes, the best charts by far in the Bauhaus cruising guide. Far more accurate than anything else out there. His cruising guide can be bought online. We got scanned in charts from the book but not sure if he puts those on his webwsite or if another cruiser scanned them.

Philosaophical point for me is that I would not have used the scanned charts if we had not bought the book. He is a small operation and I want to help him keep putting out the book.

The CM93 charts were pretty good for most areas, but, except for Bauhaus in Panama, they all pretty much have errors.
Especially in the far E San Blas, CMAP (93 and otherwise), Navionics, etc are very inaccurate. Bahaus are the only accurate charts I know of for there.

The other electronic charts above are less inaccurate in the W San Blas, but still way off in some places.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 07:27   #8

Thank you for your comment. The overlays work really well on my PC, but for some reason they appear obliquely on my Mac.
Nordlys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Central America, charts, Panama