Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 08:31   #1

Boat: C+C Landfall 38
Cruising/ leaving boat on hard/ no cradle?!

Hi
We are moving boat in stages down south. I cannot believe we are the first people to have the problem of leaving the boat in the hard over winter in a new marina... but you don’t have your cradle!!
What do people do?
I have called around to a few marinas... they don’t “ rent” cradles in the port colborne , Ontario Marina. They also don’t do jack stands ( not that that is a good portion anyway) ....
So.... what do people do when they need to leave the boat on the hard in a strange marina and they don’t have a cradle?
Thanks!
Laura
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52   #2

Re: Cruising/ leaving boat on hard/ no cradle?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Hi
We are moving boat in stages down south. I cannot believe we are the first people to have the problem of leaving the boat in the hard over winter in a new marina... but you don’t have your cradle!!
What do people do?
I have called around to a few marinas... they don’t “ rent” cradles in the port colborne , Ontario Marina. They also don’t do jack stands ( not that that is a good portion anyway) ....
So.... what do people do when they need to leave the boat on the hard in a strange marina and they don’t have a cradle?
Thanks!
Laura
Simple build, have built, or purchase one, or have your cradle that one was using in a previous marina shipped to the new shipyard. Most shipyards desire to not retain your cradle at their shipyard if you are not going to place your vessel on the hard at their yard for the season or for repairs or maintenance as it takes up valuable space. Cradles are typically designed for specific boat hulls. Properly built cradles are far superior to just using portable jackstands.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:01   #3

Quote:
Hi
What do people do?
Thanks!
Laura
In future jump in a car , visit the different boatyards and ask about cradles,power,ladders, security....... then pick the winner
Some boatyards are really primitive

Also observe how close..gunnel to gunnel they pack the boats

Many insurance companies with not cover the boat if it is parked to close to a neighbor

One boat catches on fire and they all burn down
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:09   #4

Every time I left a boat stored they provided stands or cradle. I don't get it. But this was in Florida, Washington, Annapolis or Mexico.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:20   #5

Read the details of your insurance policy very carefully.

It is wise to select a policy that continues to cover your boat while it is stored on land, and that ALL attributes of the policies transport and storage requirements be fulfilled.

The boat owner has the responsibility to maintain their boat, and so normal wear and tear is often excluded under a boat or yacht policy. The number and type of physical damage exclusions vary from company to company, so take the time to compare to avoid surprises later.

A good policy will also provide a separate coverage for your liability under the Federal Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act. This will cover your statutory liability to temporary shore-based workers, such as a mechanic or marina employee, if they become injured aboard your boat.

Many yacht policies include a lay-up period, which is a time that the yacht is normally laid up and out of commission, such as during the winter months in colder climates. The underwriter will normally allow a discount for each month that the yacht is decommissioned. You can usually reduce your premium by requesting the longest possible lay-up period that would be reasonable for your part of the country.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:46   #6

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Insurance issues aside.... I am not the first person who has done this!
What do people do when they want to leave their boat on the hard.... wherever they are!!!
They don’t ship their cradle to the BVIs or Grenada or wherever...
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:48   #7

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Every time I left a boat stored they provided stands or cradle. I don't get it. But this was in Florida, Washington, Annapolis or Mexico.
+ Azores, + Canaries, + Brazil, + Trinidad.

Actually if you are really serious about cruising, you should carry the cradle with you. Some boats have a specially designed davits.
Kidding, of course. Shop around and find the marinas that can block your boat.
Some have a surcharge for blocking/standing, some includes in the price.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:21   #8

Quote:
What do people do when they want to leave their boat on the hard.... wherever they are!!!
Like I said, I've never heard of a yard not supplying what's needed. Is this exclusively a Canada problem? Check around...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:27   #9

I've never seen a yard that has cradles. Every yard I've been too has cribbing dunnage. I've seen yards that will either rent as a separate line item or include jack stands as part of storage. Some yards require that you provide either your own cradle or your own jack stands.

If you are calling around and specifically asking for a 'Cradle', then I would expect the majority of replies to be "No, we don't have cradles". Just think of the logistics of buying and storing 'Cradles'. Very expensive and bulky.

I would ask if they have cribbing dunnage and jack stands for your size vessel and keel length.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I've never seen a yard that has cradles. Every yard I've been too has cribbing dunnage. I've seen yards that will either rent as a separate line item or include jack stands as part of storage. Some yards require that you provide either your own cradle or your own jack stands.

If you are calling around and specifically asking for a 'Cradle', then I would expect the majority of replies to be "No, we don't have cradles". Just think of the logistics of buying and storing 'Cradles'. Very expensive and bulky.

I would ask if they have cribbing dunnage and jack stands for your size vessel and keel length.
Many many good yards have adjustable steel cradles
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:45   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

I've done everything from moved my existing cradle via truck, to buying a new cradle, to having one built in-situ, to renting jackstands, and now to buying new stands.

You're in a pretty dense boating area. I'd look for a used cradle that would work. Jackstands are usually available, either for rent or purchase.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:00   #12

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
....I would ask if they have cribbing dunnage and jack stands for your size vessel and keel length.
Not sure if they would understand cribbing either. What I did was just ask if they could block the boat. They all understood that to mean using wood or steel stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've done everything from moved my existing cradle via truck, to buying a new cradle, to having one built in-situ, to renting jackstands, and now to buying new stands.

You're in a pretty dense boating area. I'd look for a used cradle that would work. Jackstands are usually available, either for rent or purchase.
That would be a choice if you stay in the same area for a while, but I think the OP is on the move...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:22   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
In future jump in a car , visit the different boatyards and ask about cradles,power,ladders, security....... then pick the winner
Some boatyards are really primitive

Also observe how close..gunnel to gunnel they pack the boats

Many insurance companies with not cover the boat if it is parked to close to a neighbor

One boat catches on fire and they all burn down
LauraleeG,

The above response is how one approaches the situation. Slug has the right of it.

Yes, you may have to have multiple cradles built if you want to move the boat over winter.... You might consider making the effort to get the boat to warm enough water to leave it in the water. It is the best thing for the boat, if you can manage it.

Otherwise, hardstand storage that I am familiar with consists of a pair of supports, and a number of adjustable stands, and the yards try to put the stands at the reinforced spots on your hull (found by tapping). But if you go talk to them, you'll --by comparing what you've heard-- come to a conclusion about which one will take the better care of your vessel.

Ann
Old 04-02-2020, 13:05   #14

Reference: One of many suppliers.

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/nava...49-559697.html

The problem with long fin keeled boats is that they are incredibly unstable on land, they tip over without much effort due to windage or being bumped by moving another boat, or a seismic event.

Swing keeled or shallow long keel boats are much easier to secure and to place dunnage under their long keel to carry much if not most of the weight instead of carrying the weight on the platforms on the hull sides.

Integral cradles are superior to individual platforms which individual units can be pushed aside and then domino all of them.

Also be certain that the ground is truly hard, thick concrete or asphalt so as to be able to handle the heavy point pressure applied. The ground can go soft with a heavy rainfall or storm surge flooding.
Old 04-02-2020, 14:10   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
That would be a choice if you stay in the same area for a while, but I think the OP is on the move...

I've been on the move since 2014. Since then I've moved four times; from Thunder Bay, to Belleville, to Corner Brook, and now Lewisporte. Each time I've had to do something different.

In one location we sold our jackstands, then bought a used cradle. When we left that place we sold the cradle, then built a new one. After that we bought new jackstands which we were able to move ourselves to the next location.

Buying then selling seems to work much of the time. Just gotta be creative, and also plan for it.

In the OP's case, there are lots of marinas in the area. I'm sure there must be a cradle or stands available somewhere in the area, but it might take some effort to find them.

Tags
cruising, cradle, boat