Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2020, 04:56   #1

Boat: Looking at the moment
Miami International boat show

I plan on going to the Miami International boat show next month and wanted to ask previous attendees or anyone familiar with Miami if it was easier to get a hotel outside of Miami and just drive and park or get a hotel as close as possible and just walk/water taxi over. Does the show have enough things to see for a 2 day pass or is a 1 day pass good enough.

Thanks
Wunderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2020, 05:04   #2

Re: Miami International boat show

Last year we had a hotel room a few miles away, took an uber and then the water taxi which was easy in the morning. I don't know your budget but any hotel within walking distance of the water taxi is going to be expensive. I would also recommend going Friday or Sunday instead of Saturday which was very busy. The traffic on the causeway and outside the show is extremely heavy during the show so I wouldn't recommend trying to drive there.

Don't forget you can also bring your own food (publix subs are a good choice) and snacks in. We also carried in a 12 pack of beer since my friend had a booth with a cooler. The food and drinks in the show are insane expensive.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:54   #3

Boat: Catalina 30' (1984)

We went in 2018. We stayed at an AirBnB in Little Havana and took the free public transit to the free water taxi location.
We're going again this year, and will stay at another AirBnB. This time though we will stay in Brickell and catch an Uber/ Lyft to the show on Sunday and Monday. We are also going to pack food/ drinks as options are not only limited, but pricey.
Check the boat show website for details on where to catch the free transportation.
justakiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:31   #4

Boat: Looking at the moment

We booked a place and will attend Friday and Saturday, appreciate all the info it has helped in our planning this trip.
Wunderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:37   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Any issues with attending on Monday? Will everything still be open? All the boats still be there? I know people often check out both mentally and even physically the last day of a trade show.

It's the only day that fits my schedule due to work issues. I'm assuming Saturday and Sunday are bad days to go because it would be most crowded.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunderlust View Post
I plan on going to the Miami International boat show next month and wanted to ask previous attendees or anyone familiar with Miami if it was easier to get a hotel outside of Miami and just drive and park or get a hotel as close as possible and just walk/water taxi over. Does the show have enough things to see for a 2 day pass or is a 1 day pass good enough.

Thanks
Last time I was at the show, and not living down there, we got a room, almost at the last minute, in Hollywood, Florida. It was a pretty easy drive down to the show every day. Much easier than I thought it was going to be.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:41   #7

We went in 2018. We drove to parking area and took the bus. Earlier the better.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:53   #8

Boat: Catalina 30' (1984)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Any issues with attending on Monday? Will everything still be open? All the boats still be there? I know people often check out both mentally and even physically the last day of a trade show.

It's the only day that fits my schedule due to work issues. I'm assuming Saturday and Sunday are bad days to go because it would be most crowded.
From our experiences at the Annapolis Sailboat Show, many of the vendors do start packing up the last day (Monday for Miami). Best advice is to get there right when the doors open to maximize your time. Having a plan in place of who/ where you want to visit helps as well. If there's specific boats you want to look at, check and see if they require an appointment.
justakiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 20:07   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Monday is the best day. No crowds. I hate the logistics of getting there but a nice show. All the boats are still there as many are trapped by temporary docks anyway.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 21:19   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I don't know about that show in particular, but at the end of any show like this the products on the stands that are unsold have to be carried back to the trucks and cars by the exhibitors, and they can often be tempted into good deals to get rid of display models...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 03:40   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Heading there in a few hours.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show, miami