Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2018, 07:25   #1

Brisbane River question

Hi there

I’m considering renting a place at Chelmer on the Brisbane River.

Would anyone have a rough idea how long it would take to boat up the river from Chelmer to the Brisbane River mouth? I would be in a 10m powerboat.

Weighing up whether it makes sense to get a place with pontoon or better to live elsewhere and get a berth near the river Mouth coast line eg Manly.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I’m new to Brisbane!

Thanks

Juliab
Jules-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 14:32   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Brisbane River question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules-1 View Post
Would anyone have a rough idea how long it would take to boat up the river from Chelmer to the Brisbane River mouth? I would be in a 10m powerboat.
Welcome to Cruisers Forum, Juliab!

Chelmer is about 22 nautical miles from the mouth of the Brisbane River, depending on your exact location.

That should give you a means of calculating your travel time up and down the river, plus fuel cost.

If your preferred cruising area includes Northern Moreton Bay, you might consider a wet berth (or dry rack storage) at such marinas as Scarborough Marina (www.scarbmarina.com.au).

If you prefer to cruise in Southern Moreton Bay, you might consider a wet berth or rack storage at one of the marinas at Wynnum-Manly, Jacob's Well, or Gold Coast City.
Old 03-10-2018, 14:37   #3

You can download a *.pdf chartlet of the Brisbane River from the website of Maritime Safety Queensland by pointing your browser to:

https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/-/media/M...acon.pdf?la=en
Old 03-10-2018, 15:30   #4

Thanks very much Alan, this is very helpful.

I’m thinking prob best to get a berth near the river Mouth rather than needing to travel that far each time we want to go explore the Moreton Bay Area, which seems to me to be the best boating around the Brisbane area.
Old 03-10-2018, 17:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules-1 View Post
I’m thinking prob best to get a berth near the river Mouth rather than needing to travel that far each time we want to go explore the Moreton Bay Area, which seems to me to be the best boating around the Brisbane area.
Fair enough.

It's often faster and more fuel efficient to use land transport from a location such as Chelmer to a coastal marina or rack storage facility.

Many chandleries will have on their shelves copies of "Beacon to Beacon".

Or you can download the same chartlets as *.pdf from:
https://www.msq.qld.gov.au/Boating-m...ton-Bay-guides

Then, knowing your style of boating, you can choose which marina or storage location is closest to the parts of Moreton Bay etc that suit you.

And of course you can spend some months based at Manly, then at Rivergate, and then at Scarborough, Jacob's Well or Coomera and more until you've cruised all of Moreton Bay and beyond.
Old 03-10-2018, 18:43   #6

Thanks very much Alan. I’m a novice getting into boating for leisure with my young family. Moving up from Sydney. Planning to buy a 2nd hand powerboat, roughly 10m. Something comfortable for cruising and potential overnight sleeps. I’ve got everything to learn about boats which is a bit daunting, but going to do it piece by piece.

Any advice on how to pick a decent boat? I’m planning on hiring a surveyor to assess whatever I’m thinking of buying.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jules.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:41   #8

Thank you GordMay

Tags
brisbane