Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 16:03   #1

Boat: 2019 Lagoon 42
B&G Zeus 3 Wifi and Iridium GO for Predictwind?

Hello everyone,

Longtime reader, first time poster!

I'm looking for some input on anyone who has used the PredictWind feature on a Zeus 3 (Z3) and even more specifically, someone who has done it with an Iridium Go (IG)!.

From past reading experiences, I've learned that if the OP isn't clear on what they have, there is invariably someone who in the first or second reply ask for more details. In an effort to try to not be "that guy" on my first post, here's more info... we will have a Zeus 3 12" at the Helm and another at the Nav desk on our new Lagoon 42. We have the PredictWind Professional subscription and the Iridium GO! with the unlimited plan.

There are a plethora of questions I have but here are a couple:
1.) Does the Z3 connect to the IG wifi and is it stable?
2.) If it connects, will I need to switch between the two chart plotters, or will they both connect and stay connect to the Iridium GO assuming sufficient signal strength?
3.) Is there sufficient signal strength to reach the helm if the IR is at the Nav station?
4.) Does the IG have the power (bandwidth) to download GRIB and routing files onto the Z3?
5.) I saw in the Z3 manual that you can set it to automatically download GRIB files... however, if the Z3 loses connection to the IR, will it automically download once reconnected or do you have to manually kick of the download again?

Anything else I should be aware of regarding this solution?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Bob
BobL1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 23:58   #2

Boat: outremer
Re: B&G Zeus 3 Wifi and Iridium GO for Predictwind?

I have the same questions thanks!
svrecess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:18   #3
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Also have the same question but also would you need a wifi router to connect the two together?
Sos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:15   #4

Boat: Jarrett 50, Bill Dixon designed 50' Steel Cutter Rigged Ketch

Ok, I have exactly the same setup (except it’s a 9” Zeus 3 at the nav station).

I have not yet tried connecting the Zeus 3 to the IG, but I can tell you the following...

The range of the IG is more than good enough to reach the cockpit from where it’s installed in our Nav station. But, you absolutely need to have an external antenna for the IG... it will struggle to maintain a connection if you keep it down below when you’re connected.

So far, My topical usage is to use predictwind offshore on my laptop, connected to the IG. The laptop connects to the IG wifi from anywhere on the boat, which is impressive give. We’re a 50 foot steel monohull.

I’ve only used Zeus predictwind interface once, and that was via another wifi, not the IG (it was before I got my IG). I haven’t tried connecting the Zeus to IG yet, mostly because I was a little underwhelmed by the Zeus/PredictWind interface, and did not find it as useable as using the laptop for weather, and then manually creating my route on the plotter. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work though.

For what it’s worh, you don’t need the helm plotter to be able to see the IG anyway, if you have your two Zeus otters set up right, any routing you do on one will automatically appear on the other. If that’s not been your experience, let me know and I can try and talk you through my settings.

Good luck! (Will also try and connect plotters to IG and see how they go, will report back...)

You only need
PeterBernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 04:24   #5

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! We take delivery on the 29th. Once I get a couple days to play with the setup I’ll report back with my findings.
Old 14-10-2018, 07:19   #6

UPDATE - Just tried unsuccessfully to connect the Z3 to IG. I believe it will not work due to IG only accepting in-app connections. Bummer, but maybe some day.

Regarding the PW on Z3, I too find it very clunky. You have to go to one menu to set what you want to download, then another to download it, then yet another to actually overlay it onto the chart. Again, maybe in a future software revision they'll make it easier.
Old 16-10-2018, 18:07   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Yes, unless B&G/PW implements an Iridium GO API into the B&G PW software it won't work over Iridium Go. You could use a broadband satellite device (Iridium Pilot/Certus, Inmarsat FleetOne/FBB, KVH, etc. You could also use a satellite phone with an Optimizer providing WiFi if you manually edited the firewall on the Optimizer.

However, you'd also have to pay for any airtime that the software downloads of course. If you are cruising in North,Central,South America within 200nm of shore, a FleetOne might be a good option to pair with a PredictWind enabled B&G unit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL1981 View Post
UPDATE - Just tried unsuccessfully to connect the Z3 to IG. I believe it will not work due to IG only accepting in-app connections. Bummer, but maybe some day.

Regarding the PW on Z3, I too find it very clunky. You have to go to one menu to set what you want to download, then another to download it, then yet another to actually overlay it onto the chart. Again, maybe in a future software revision they'll make it easier.
Old 16-10-2018, 18:42   #8

There is so much rich data in the Predictwind files and programs that you would miss or struggle with on the MFD. The user interface just isn't sophisticated enough.

I view my Predictwind data on my iPad some of the time and the computer most of the time. I have never had the desire to port it over to the MFD.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 18:54   #9

Boat: Riva 48

It matches my experience as well. You are much better off using OpenCPN or dedicated routing software to analyze weather. The MFDs have the horsepower to do it by the software is really bad. If anything, I believe Garmin will soon come up with a better interface / overlay. In reality, it is just a small market and no one bothers.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 15:26   #10

Boat: Lagoon 40

Hi
Wondering if you made any progress with the iridium Go and Zeus 3?

We just took delivery of our Lagoon 40 in France. First attempt to connect the Zeus to Iridium has failed - it just says “connecting” and sits there.

I’ve also had a problem with the Zeus Predictwind. I think the issue may be that I’m in a marina, and the software is trying to find a route out. I don’t see a way to change my starting location. So for now, it looks like I will have to use predict wind on my PC then export via SIM card to the plotter.

If anyone has made better progress, please let me know

Thanks!
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 16:13   #11

Congrats on your new boat! I hope you were able to find everything you need in Les Sables D’olonne, we had a helluva time trying to outfit our boat there.

Regarding the Zeus and Iridium, no joy. We just landed in Caribbean and after sailing down from France and across from Cape Verde. To say I had hundreds of hours at the helm trying to get this to work would be an understatement.

I could get routing and etc overlayed on WiFi but never connected via the IG network. I believe it has to so with the IG system blocking most connections beside swhat they approve on a low bandwidth basis.

If you find a way, please let me know!
Also, if you need/want a few tips regarding provisioning, VAT or anything else, send me a PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 22:09   #12

Boat: Lagoon 40

Thanks for the quick reply. I will PM YOU FROM Spain. We commissioned in La Rochelle. And are leaving in an hour or so headed on the same route as you.

Cheers
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:50   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL1981 View Post
Congrats on your new boat! I hope you were able to find everything you need in Les Sables D’olonne, we had a helluva time trying to outfit our boat there.

Regarding the Zeus and Iridium, no joy. We just landed in Caribbean and after sailing down from France and across from Cape Verde. To say I had hundreds of hours at the helm trying to get this to work would be an understatement.

I could get routing and etc overlayed on WiFi but never connected via the IG network. I believe it has to so with the IG system blocking most connections beside swhat they approve on a low bandwidth basis.

If you find a way, please let me know!
Also, if you need/want a few tips regarding provisioning, VAT or anything else, send me a PM.

It will not work because the Iridium Go! does not provide an open Internet connection. It's more analogous to a dial up connection and needs software that has been written specifically with the Iridium Go! API to start and stop the connections. To get the connection you are hoping for you need an open Internet connection which requires different satellite hardware.

Cheapest first...
-------------------
GlobalStar Sat-Fi2 ($500 USD) would work (assuming their coverage footprint works for you--Spain actually may be okay)
Inmarsat Fleet One ($2500USD-ish)
Iridium Pilot ($4500USD-ish)
Inmarsat Fleet Broadband ($$$)
Iridium Certus ($8000USD-ish)
KVH ($16K+ USD)

With any of these connections, the connection is, or can be, open... So you can use any software you want, as long as you consider the data usage and related costs.
Old 20-01-2019, 11:06   #14

Boat: Bristol 45.5

After purchasing IG and Predictwind Standard based on sales info suggesting that they will easily compliment my Zeus3 I found I was unable to get a connection between Z3 and IG.
After a support request to Predictwind I was informed that the Z3 and IG will NOT communicate.
You must move grib files on a memory device to the Z3 or, I'm guessing, import the files while on a land based wifi service through the Z3 web function.

Every day a new lesson.
Thebaysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2019, 11:33   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebaysailor View Post
After purchasing IG and Predictwind Standard based on sales info suggesting that they will easily compliment my Zeus3 I found I was unable to get a connection between Z3 and IG.
After a support request to Predictwind I was informed that the Z3 and IG will NOT communicate.
You must move grib files on a memory device to the Z3 or, I'm guessing, import the files while on a land based wifi service through the Z3 web function.

Every day a new lesson.
If you had an onboard WiFi network that was connected to a Cellular modem and/or WiFi Extender with an active connection, that would work also. If you had pretty much any other satellite device besides the Go! there are ways to interface through the onboard WiFi network.

The limitation of the Go! is that it requires software to be written to talk to the Go! directly to establish connections. Most other satellite devices can handle normal internet connections.

Tags
iridium, wifi, wind