Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 11:51   #31

Re: Anchoring in tidal stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Thanks for the hint, but 258.91 EUR seems to be a bit expensive

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=happy+hook...ref=nb_sb_noss
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Hooking amazon.de.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	211461  

Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:04   #32

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
Thanks for the hint, but 258.91 EUR seems to be a bit expensive

https://www.amazon.de/s?k=happy+hook...ref=nb_sb_noss

I dont think you get it. I posted a link to an article on kellets in response to your question.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:58   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I dont think you get it. I posted a link to an article on kellets in response to your question.
Your link works. Thanks. And the explanation on that site is very helpful. Thanks again.
In conclusion a kellet is useful for a limited range of application.
In all other cases take a modern anchor (oversizing helps) and a good ratio length/deep. But, as they said, some special anchorages need special solutions.
Using a bridle (on a cat) and pull out additional chain (hanging into the water before the swivel) is also a kind of kellet (even not so effective as a "real" one, but less complicate in an emergency situation).
(Hope my English is good enough to understand what I mean).
Furtheron I searched the book on Amazon.de.
I think that's just a mistake. Normally such books cost something between 20 or 25 EUR (if at all).

Again - Thanks
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 13:17   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I have spent half a day untangling a Bahamian Mooring.

If you have strong winds against a strong tide, that is the ultimate test of an anchor, as it can be jerked back and forth with every gust and swing of the boat. All of mine failed that test.
And I have a badly deformed finger that was caught in the chain while trying to untwist that mess. Never again.
Old Today, 14:36   #35

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I will occasionally run both my stern anchor and bow from the bow if there is a wind or current shift in the middle of the night and I don't want to be broadside to it. Yes things can get tangled if the boat is allowed to stay there and rotate there for a while, of course, but the benefits can sometimes outweigh the negatives. It is possible to rig a temporary Bahamian Moor that won't have major tangles or break any fingers I think, but it requires a stern hook and rode that are disconnected from the boat and connected to the bow anchor rode. If your bow anchor is all chain you can set a stern anchor, with chain and nylon rode and tie a nylon loop onto the chain that won't slide down the chain, like a couple of wraps on the chain and a couple of half hitches I think, at a point such that there is adequate scope in either direction. Let the extra nylon rode hang (in a lashed coil) under the junction. Unwrapping the nylon rode from the chain shouldn't take too long. If the bow anchor is nylon/chain combo then the junction can be made of a span loop or directional figure eight on the bow anchor rode and a bowline on a bight for the stern. I know the strength of the line with knots is reduced but for this application I think it would be worth considering.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:11   #36

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
Your link works. Thanks. And the explanation on that site is very helpful. Thanks again.
In conclusion a kellet is useful for a limited range of application.
In all other cases take a modern anchor (oversizing helps) and a good ratio length/deep. But, as they said, some special anchorages need special solutions.
Using a bridle (on a cat) and pull out additional chain (hanging into the water before the swivel) is also a kind of kellet (even not so effective as a "real" one, but less complicate in an emergency situation).
(Hope my English is good enough to understand what I mean).
Furtheron I searched the book on Amazon.de.
I think that's just a mistake. Normally such books cost something between 20 or 25 EUR (if at all).

Again - Thanks
No problem, Im from southern Mississippi...English is a second languague for me too!

Sometimes you do find books on Amazon at crazy prices...not sure why.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 15:45   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Don CL has given the solution to the Bahamian moor conundrum, which I use often, but in a simpler setup: a loop of something thinner but strong (dyneema, perhaps) prusik-hitched to the kedge warp, then rolling hitched to the main anchor chain, then all that dropped a couple fathoms down. If you keep the two rodes relatively tight against each other, only the single part of chain above will twist. As long as you're not there forever, always spinning the same direction, this is a small problem.
Old Today, 20:05   #38

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Don CL has given the solution to the Bahamian moor conundrum, which I use often, but in a simpler setup: a loop of something thinner but strong (dyneema, perhaps) prusik-hitched to the kedge warp, then rolling hitched to the main anchor chain, then all that dropped a couple fathoms down. If you keep the two rodes relatively tight against each other, only the single part of chain above will twist. As long as you're not there forever, always spinning the same direction, this is a small problem.
Done the coil of rode tied to the anchor chain, it came up a few weeks later covered in mud and growth.

However ir you want to go to the trouble you can take a piece of 1/4" SS rod and wrap it around a piece of 3" pipe two or three times and make yourself a giant split ring.

Drop the main anchor and back off a bit then put your split ring therough a chain link and shackle the second anchors chain section with a bow shackle around the main rode above the split ring. Then back of the main chain and check the set. The split ring stops the bow shackle from riding down the main anchors chain but allows it to rotate so the swivel will still work.

I usually walk the second anchor aft to the back of the boat and pass a light line through the shackle on the anchors crown and lower it to bottom then pull the line out.

RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring