Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2020, 09:19   #16

Boat: Borrensen BB-10
Re: Has anyone hear of GoreTex dinghy?

Obviously none of you downloaded the Big duck catalogue 'cause if you did and looked at the cover photo you might find something to appreciate. Things look really good down under.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 10:07   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Is she wearing Goretex?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 10:59   #18

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I'd also consider a porta-bot. It's tough as nails, and folds down for storage. I've been very impressed with mine.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 11:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yet they make dry suits out of the stuff. Wasn't convinced about them either and prefer my tri laminate drysuit.

"But Sir, feel the quality" as my Hong Kong tailor used to say

I assume by dry suit, it’s not a swimming dry suit? For those I have found that a crushed neoprene suit is far superior to a “bag suit” which in what the bilam or trilam suits are.

For cave diving I found this to be the best suit there is, it’s form fitting and not a bag, swims like a wet suit, and the Merino wool liner at first seemed to be a gimmick, but was excellent with wicking away sweat, cause even though it’s cold enough for a dry suit, you still sweat and without a good wicking layer that makes you cold.
Black Ice — Pinnacle

Change of topic I know, but I can’t imagine a true dry suit being Goretex but am pretty sure it’s to try to deal with that sweat I spoke of.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 12:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Change of topic I know, but I can’t imagine a true dry suit being Goretex but am pretty sure it’s to try to deal with that sweat I spoke of.
All Coast Guard helo flight crews have to wear dry suits when flying over anything but very warm water. Unfortunately in a place like San Francisco up in the Delta you can be in 95 degree air over cold water and you start sweating pretty damn fast in a dry suit under the greenhouse! So our drysuits were all gortex (and some kind of nomex, not cheap!) Despite that you could completely soak your fleece liner with sweat in a 2 hour flight. I agree with the other posters that Gortex is overrated, but it's still far better then a totally impervious surface.
And you're right. During annual wet drills you had to swim out to a life raft 100 yards out in the ocean, get in, get back out, and swim back in your dry suit. Definitely not optimal for swimming!
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 13:54   #21

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yet they make dry suits out of the stuff. Wasn't convinced about them either and prefer my tri laminate drysuit.

"But Sir, feel the quality" as my Hong Kong tailor used to say
Or the East London comedy version “never mind the quality, feel the width”
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 15:28   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
All Coast Guard helo flight crews have to wear dry suits when flying over anything but very warm water. Unfortunately in a place like San Francisco up in the Delta you can be in 95 degree air over cold water and you start sweating pretty damn fast in a dry suit under the greenhouse! So our drysuits were all gortex (and some kind of nomex, not cheap!) Despite that you could completely soak your fleece liner with sweat in a 2 hour flight. I agree with the other posters that Gortex is overrated, but it's still far better then a totally impervious surface.
And you're right. During annual wet drills you had to swim out to a life raft 100 yards out in the ocean, get in, get back out, and swim back in your dry suit. Definitely not optimal for swimming!
3/6 Cav at Camp Humphries our mission was over water to engage the North Korean’s in the Yellow Sea with them in everything from AN2 colts to hovercraft and boats. Navy wasn’t fond of the Yellow Sea due to it being relatively shallow and actually not all that large.
So we always flew with Mustang Survival suits, a little different than civilian ones in that ours were Green of course and Nomex, but we had water wings for floatation and a little tiny life raft, even had one of the little hand pumped watermakers. There was a temp cut off but I forget what it was where we didn’t have to wear the survival suits, but even in winter in Korea which is very cold, we would be hot in those things, we ran the AC in the cockpit.
I believe they were crushed neoprene, they weren’t bag suits
This thing
https://www.machovec.com/catalog/msf300.htm
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 13:25   #23

Quote:
3/6 Cav at Camp Humphries our mission was over water to engage the North Korean’s in the Yellow Sea with them in everything from AN2 colts to hovercraft and boats. Navy wasn’t fond of the Yellow Sea due to it being relatively shallow and actually not all that large.
So we always flew with Mustang Survival suits, a little different than civilian ones in that ours were Green of course and Nomex, but we had water wings for floatation and a little tiny life raft, even had one of the little hand pumped watermakers. There was a temp cut off but I forget what it was where we didn’t have to wear the survival suits, but even in winter in Korea which is very cold, we would be hot in those things, we ran the AC in the cockpit.
I believe they were crushed neoprene, they weren’t bag suits
This thing
https://www.machovec.com/catalog/msf300.htm
What you linked to is what we wore, rubber seals at the neck and arms that were especially comfy when hot. We had just switched from the Mustang suit, so I got to do wet drills in one once.....very cold! That said they weren't much colder when ripped where the dry suit went from toasty warm to worthless with any tears. Good thing a crashed helicopter doesn't have any sharp edges to snag when you're egressing
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 13:50   #24

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

If an ordinary PVC dingy presents problems with your dog boarding (claw damage, I’m guessing), why not just a set of “chaps” to protect a far less expensive dingy?

But then again, I’ve never bought a set of chaps, don’t know what they cost.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 15:01   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I assume by dry suit, it’s not a swimming dry suit? For those I have found that a crushed neoprene suit is far superior to a “bag suit” which in what the bilam or trilam suits are.
First couple of drysuits were crushed neoprene, but swtiched to tri-laminate after that. They were just more comfortable IMHO when operating small open boats at sea all day, particularly in the early days of rib cruising and camping.

Took some novices out a couple of years back. They all turned up with the latest thinsulate super wicking wonder materials for undersuits. I turned up in jeans and a polo shirt and got dressed on the open boat. They were shocked "killer cotton" and all that. Me I was quite happy with a 40 minute dive in the UK during the summer. What's that saying "Age and guile...."

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 17:59   #26

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Danner (brand) boots are an example of goretex. The boots and hiking shoes have a "built-in sock" of goretex and they never leak. I have 20 year old hiking shoes that have never leaked and I never had wet feet.

Climbing mountains and negotiating glaciers, Gore-Tex gaiters were excellent and Gore-Tex bibs and down parka never leaked that I noticed.

I expect the Gore-Tex used in your dingy is to seal the folding floor. It will probably hold up until about when the warrantee expires.
Gore-Tex is not airtight, so it is not suitable for the air chambers IMO. Maybe someone has found a way to waterproof Gore-Tex. But why not use heavy sailcloth instead of a fabric that is designed to "let air in and keep water out"?
Your dingy should not be someone's experimental prototype. Be sure of the design before you jump in.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 10:19   #27

This brand is lying about their inflatable construction. This was the reply from GoreTex when I asked about them about it.

Dear Josh,

Thank you for your email inquiring about online sales of products using the GORE-TEX trademark.

We can tell you that Big Duck is not a licensed brand partner of GORE-TEX or GORE.

It seems they are falsely claiming to use GORE-TEX in their boat construction. Big Duck will also falsely claim using GORE-TEX in their boats if you speak with them via email or the phone.

I am not sure what the status of any legal action GORE-TEX is taking, but we can guarantee you that the design and construction of their products have never been tested or authorized by GORE-TEX.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If you have any questions or need any further information, please contact us.

Best regards,

Benjamin Jones

GORE-TEX Brand Services
Newport Vessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 01:34   #28

Thank you Josh for sharing.

Cheers
Matteo
matteo20021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:01   #29

No problem, there's enough confusion within the inflatable boat industry, we don't need sellers like this adding to it.

Cheers
Newport Vessels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 10:44   #30

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Just checked their website. Truth in advertising is questionable...
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy