Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 14:25   #1

Bimini...Gun Cat...Cat Cat. Customs

Firstly, sorry it won't let me edit title...but I'm guessing you can see what the spell check did.

Finishing up last minute details in Biscayne Bay to cross to one of the destinations in title. I was wondering if anyone had advice on best location to check in with customs
.I had heard that you can check in at Cat but only place to dock is private with a lot of extra charges...any advice and personal experiences would be helpful.
45' w. 5.5' draft...would love to anchor and dingy in.

Wayward Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:39   #2

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Bimini...Gun Cat...Cat Cat. Customs

This past summer, Bimini Sands allowed you to dock your boat and catch a taxi to the airport for checkin, for no charge. The marina has changed ownership now, so that may have changed. But a friend of mine did it in April 2019. We OTOH took a slip there, and did checkin at the airport. It was very quick, and fees were as published. For entertainment, we walked down to the dock where you could catch a ferry for very cheap across to North Bimini, and walk thru the town.

I've heard that Cat charges $100 to clear in there. Not sure if you can get around that by dinghy in or not. Someone else can comment. They might be like Chubb, which charges $100 to come in for check in, whether dinghy or boat.

At North Bimini, we checked in Customs at Big Game CLub in 2016, with no charge for dockage. Immigration was only a short walk up the street. There can be a ripping current thru there, so be ready for it.

sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 14:46   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@WaywardDrifter,

If you want to change your title, let any moderator know, we can change it for you if you show us what you want it to be.

Ann
Old 01-03-2020, 15:31   #4

We usually go in to North Bimini... any of the marinas, we have usually used Brown's, and walk to the customs office at Bimini Big Game Club. Immigration is further down at the Post office. Or is it the other way round? Best to arrive during business hours to save the Overtime charges.

You still have to pay the marina, but at least you can stay there overnight, unlike the private Cat Cay.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 16:08   #5

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í

Cat key will let you stay for one night, no problem. Easy check-in at customs and immigration and you can get 90 days if you want. The $100 is not charged for the customs, but for the dockage: if you stay overnight you just pay the usual charges by the foot. Nothing extra for the Bahamian government services.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:32   #6

Check in at Weech's Bimini Bay Dock. They have a little C store there and a few apartments. They won't rip you off. Tell them that Leon Weech sent you.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43   #7

Weches is closed. Decimated after Irma. Browns is in good shape.
RV6isfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 16:55   #8

Boat: C&C27-3

Docked at Bimini Blue Water Resort/Marina a few days ago. $1.25 per foot and free wifi.Water and electricity extra but you don't have to take it.

Walk down the road to Big Game Club for Customs, then down the road further to the Administration/Police Bldg. Immigration is the last office on the left.
Safe crossing.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:01   #9

Boat: Beneteau 323

I have crossed to Bimini 1-2 times a year since 2013; NORTH BIMINI BIG GAME MARINA is by far the easiest way to clear. If you go to S. Bimini, as mentioned, you have to taxi to the airport to clear in and boaters are not a priority so you may have to wait if flights are coming in. N. Bimini is fast and easy; Big Game staff is friendly and helpful. Great luck to you and enjoy yourself!
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:16   #10

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

In 2017 I anchored just north of Big Game and dingied in for clearing customs. They were concerned that they couldn't board readily, but processed me anyway.

I had to walk into town to do immigration.

The Anchorage was nice, but I don't know if your draft will make it. I only have 3 1/2 feet.

GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, customs