Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2019, 22:05   #1

Smallest pocket cruiser with marine head

I am looking to buy a small pocket cruiser type of boat to do some day cruising and occasionally staying on it overnight.

As I only have dinghy sailing experience before and new to driving and docking a powerboat, I like to start small for both ease of handling and maintenance.

In addition, my marina only allows overnight stay if the boat is equipped with a marine head and holding tank.

Looking through spec sheets on manufactuer websites, do not always give a clear indication. So I am here looking for advice on the smallest pocket cruiser with marine head.

many thanks in advance.
yorkville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 04:48   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Smallest pocket cruiser with marine head

Don't know, but even most of the center consoles can be had with head/holding tank starting in about the 26' range.

A "holding tank" feature -- and capacity -- in manufacturer's specs would be the likeliest giveaway.

-Chris
Old 21-12-2019, 05:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Smallest pocket cruiser with marine head

Why does your marina not allow a chemical toilet with built in holding tank.. have you asked.???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 05:46   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

It amazes me that our local dealer has 28 foot diesel pocket cruisers that have galleys, bow thrusters, and shower equipped heads. There's been a lot of design work done in this area of late.

I have less contact with the sailing side of this, but note that the cockpit then takes up more space and the profile may need to be lower to accommodate the boom. Hull shape may reduce internal space as well.
Old 21-12-2019, 06:43   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Don't know, but even most of the center consoles can be had with head/holding tank starting in about the 26' range.

A "holding tank" feature -- and capacity -- in manufacturer's specs would be the likeliest giveaway.

-Chris
Our 21’ CC that we outfitted as a dive boat had a head, we never used it, but it was there. It was actually a portal potty, but did have a deck pump put fitting.
I chose the 21’ as it’s was pushing the size for a ski boat for the kids on lakes etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14AF7A37-99ED-4984-9B66-4B469C97DE56.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	205422  
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 08:35   #6

Boat: Oday 25

A Porta-Poty is a self contained head as its base will hold about 5 gallons. It can be emptied into an ordinary land based toilet and will not cause any problem. My Oday 25 has one and we have had no problem with it for 8 years. You can replace it with a new one for less than $200 although we have never needed to. It's also currently for sale at $6000 in excellent sail away condition
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 08:51   #7

Boat: O'Day 26

I highly recommend a CD25D (Cape Dory 25 diesel) if you are looking for a "small" blue water cruiser with marine head. The head takes up the forward area, or the V-berth area on most boats. Go to the Cape Dory website to check for any boats presently for sale, although many sellers will hold off placing on market until spring. I doubt if anyone can recommend a better boat, new or used, for the money!
TideTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 09:00   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TideTime View Post
I highly recommend a CD25D (Cape Dory 25 diesel) if you are looking for a "small" blue water cruiser with marine head. The head takes up the forward area, or the V-berth area on most boats. Go to the Cape Dory website to check for any boats presently for sale, although many sellers will hold off placing on market until spring. I doubt if anyone can recommend a better boat, new or used, for the money!
The Cape Dory 26 is the same design but with an outboard well (i.e.) a lot more storage
gdecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 09:59   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 235

The Beneteau First 235 and the Jenneau Tonic 23 both fall into that category. We have the F235 and love it. Just a word of warning despite their small size, they still are as much work to sail as a larger sailboat but can give you a dinghy like ride in a blow.
letoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 10:03   #10

Boat: Hullmaster 27

The OP diesn't say where he is located, but his username suggests it might be in Ontario ... so it is worth pointing out that Ontario does not allow porta-potties unless they are secured to the boat and plumbed to a deck pumpout.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 10:19   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkville View Post
I am looking to buy a small pocket cruiser type of boat to do some day cruising and occasionally staying on it overnight.

As I only have dinghy sailing experience before and new to driving and docking a powerboat, I like to start small for both ease of handling and maintenance.

In addition, my marina only allows overnight stay if the boat is equipped with a marine head and holding tank.

Looking through spec sheets on manufactuer websites, do not always give a clear indication. So I am here looking for advice on the smallest pocket cruiser with marine head.

many thanks in advance.
I would question the marina about a Porta Potti fitting the there requirement.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 10:21   #12

I believe the Pacific Seacraft Dana 24 has a marine head and holding tank.
Check it out on Yacht world.
bbowman294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 10:26   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkville View Post

many thanks in advance.
Hi and welcome.

Your requirement are about exactly what we get from our current boat (19' Sandpiper 565)
  • inexpensive to buy and maintain
  • more stable than a dinghy but still a breeze to handle.
  • fun to sail
  • has a MSD III type head with deck pumpout (can also be dumped like any portapotty), which meets Ontario requirements
  • reasonably comfortable for two people to sleep in
  • easy to cruise for up to 4 days away from the dock; or longer if you can take marina breaks for restocking and showers
  • because it's trailerable, we're able to easily reach cruising areas areas that would take a week or more of travelling by water. In particular we can take her to all the larger cottage lakes in Ontario, which are some of my favourite sailing/overnighting areas
  • the sandpiper has a pretty active group of users who share advice, and we have gotten together every August at different locations for 3 days of cruising and exploring
There are a number of other trailerable microcruisers in the 19 to < 25 ft range with similar characteristics.

I'm under no illusion that this is a 'real' cruising boat, and she's smaller than most on CF would consider, but she has gotten us out there. We have been considering a larger boat for some time, but while we are locked to jobs and don't have the time for extended cruising, this has really scratched the itch... for 12 years now.We have really enjoyed our time and adventures with her.

We do get out on friends' 'big' boats as well, and this year we did our first bareboat charter on a 41' Jeanneau in the Caribbean. so we are now getting the best of both worlds...

Hope this helps.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 10:31   #14

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

PacificSeacraft Flicka 20 has a marine head and a holding tank. We changed ours to use a composting head, Great pocket cruisers.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 11:24   #15

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somanyboats View Post
PacificSeacraft Flicka 20 has a marine head and a holding tank. We changed ours to use a composting head, Great pocket cruisers.
Wonder what the Canadian position on composting heads is, I know it has been stated on here before but I forgot ?
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, head, marine, marine head, pocket cruiser