Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 12:37   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Gemini 105 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I've never been on one, but would appreciate some honest comments from the owners about the clearance.
The clearance is low compared other cats. The beam is also less so mitigates some of that.

They slap when others don't. Small waves seem to "slap". Big waves seem to "whoosh".

Some don't get used to hearing it I suppose.

One of the trade-offs (it's a boat) for 6'4" head room and a flat, stable ride.
Old 03-11-2011, 22:14   #17

I like the layout of the Gemini more than other boats in this size range. If I were to get a sailboat today, this would be the type.

From what I have read about them, they are sensitive to extra weight. And I like the new 34' models just because of the steps in the back.

Even though I wouldn't be able to afford it, I would like to see this layout in a 44', just to see what they would do, and how big the captains berth is.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 22:52   #18

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Even though I wouldn't be able to afford it, I would like to see this layout in a 44', just to see what they would do, and how big the captains berth is.
I've often thought of what a 44 ft Gemini would be like especially made of carbon fiber to make it light.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:47   #19

Boat: gemini 3200

heya,

As the owner of an older gemini ('91) I have to say I'm very happy with how well she has held up. We're the 3rd owner so our boat has seen some different sailing types and different ideas about service.

If it were not for the fast, flat ride, all the space and the full queen size berth, with my wife's arthritis I would not be sailing anymore.

After 20 years of monohulls, we'll never go back, love this boat!

CHeeRS!
-dennis

Don't think it handles well, get off the dock and practice!
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 21:26   #20

Boat: 1985 Catalac 10Meter Serendipity, 1998 Nimble Wanderer "PJS"
Send a message via Skype™ to jannpage

to donradcliffe. I would suggest you lease one for at least 2 weeks. Yes they slap - sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. Somee people can't stand it for a minute, others seem to barely notice. My little chunk of heaven is 1/2 mile from I 10 and sometimes the noise gets to me and other times - what noise - oh that!
Frankly for well under 100grand you can find a late model one that needes little or nothing in the way of upgrade to be thoroughly modern or repairs to be ready to throw in the water and enjoy- and 99% of the time, you can sit a full cup of coffee on the table and take care of managing the boat and come back an hour later to a cold cup full of coffee. Your better half will even go with you without a fuss.
NO, I don't own one. Fortunately I have a boat I like better.
jannpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2011, 22:01   #21

Boat: 19' Flying Scot

They slap and slam quite a bit going straight in to short square waves. Bit annoying in the Chesapeake where there are tons of powerboat wakes. Doesnt really harm the boat and you can avoid most it by cutting it diagonally a bit.

Dont let the 6'4" head space fool you, only in the hulls are the headroom that high. The bathroom is I think 5'10", main saloon area is only 6'2" and quite small standing area.

Great use of spaces and feels roomy because of the windows but to be feels bit cramp cause of lack of head room and the lower ceiling in the sette area. Internal volume wise modern monohull actually has more but lose in sqft area.
Ashura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 08:08   #22

We love our 02 Gemini 105Mc and if you look at comparable boats you will have to get a 50 ft monohull to have 3 staterooms with doors and closets that's ok if you have 10 ft deep water everywhere you anchor . I'm sure you could find a 20 to 30 year old catamaran for around $100,000.00 unless your buying a brand new Gemini 105Mc. We love being able to only pay for a std 40 ft slip at half the price and just try to find an end slip in most marinas. I'm sure a china tea cup on a saucer full of coffee might vibrate on the table but a bottle of water or beer will not spill.
Old 21-11-2011, 08:34   #23
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by webejammin View Post
We love our 02 Gemini 105Mc and if you look at comparable boats you will have to get a 50 ft monohull to have 3 staterooms with doors and closets that's ok if you have 10 ft deep water everywhere you anchor . I'm sure you could find a 20 to 30 year old catamaran for around $100,000.00 unless your buying a brand new Gemini 105Mc. We love being able to only pay for a std 40 ft slip at half the price and just try to find an end slip in most marinas. I'm sure a china tea cup on a saucer full of coffee might vibrate on the table but a bottle of water or beer will not spill.
In the Med your still gonna pay 1 1/2-2 xs the price for a slip just because your a cat- Nice Cat I almost bought one in the Early- mid 1990s but opted for a trawler
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2011, 10:50   #24

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

[QUOTE=Ashura;822493]

Dont let the 6'4" head space fool you, only in the hulls are the headroom that high. The bathroom is I think 5'10", main saloon area is only 6'2" and quite small standing area.

[QUOTE]

I'm 6'4" and am aware of my handicap (I think there should be three drinking fountains in public) and I can stand in the cockpit and in front of the settee. If I move forward I have to sit anyway so no problem there.

The head height in the head is too low though.
Old 21-11-2011, 13:54   #25
Marine Service Provider

Hello, a new 2012 Gemini with AC/gen is being added to fort lauderdale available for bareboat charter and available to place into charter fleet. Rate is around $4650 to 3750 for a week based in Lauderdale with The Catamaran Company. There is also a 2010 and 2011 Gemini available in Tortola and also a gemini available in Annapolis.
Catamaran2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 23:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamaran2 View Post
Hello, a new 2012 Gemini with AC/gen is being added to fort lauderdale available for bareboat charter and available to place into charter fleet. Rate is around $4650 to 3750 for a week based in Lauderdale with The Catamaran Company. There is also a 2010 and 2011 Gemini available in Tortola and also a gemini available in Annapolis.
It's great to know how much I should charge my relitives when they want to go sailing
Old 24-11-2011, 18:59   #27

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I just sailed a 2003 Gemini 105 Mc single handed from Fiji to Australia. Took 16 days straight. Im 5-9 The head room is ample for me, never bang my head on any thing.
Yes it does bang under the table, a towel under the fold ups does the trick. I was in huge seas most of the time,
I didnt shower for 6 days and then for 8 days, suicidal to go into the shower, I was launched off the head a foot high when I had to use it, totally new to the boat and forgot I had a Transom shower, Duhhh. I urinated over the back of the boat, it was level and stable. Was better than risking life and limb in the shower,
The front of the Gemini was a corkscrew motion, I slept in the salon, the bed was the same as the shower. levitating a foot of the bed. the mattress is excellent, it lets you come down nice and soft. and I mean 4 or 5 feet between up and down in the bows.

As for a Totally seaworthy Blue water cruiser, It is excellent. Not once, did I feel unsafe in her,

Damage to date.

The welds have broken on the dinghy davit supports.
And the back stays on the mast need a bit of a tighten.
And I did run aground coming into The Maroochy River entrance, My speed wheel doesnt work, Its probably full of sand or wrecked as it was banging down on the hull for quite a while.
The wind instrument doesnt work either, It was a new one fitted in September. Might be a loose connection some where.
Chainplates are leaking water and the front windscreen is leaking also in the constant rain here.
When the sun comes out, a good run around with silicon will fix them.
The head has always been on fresh water and the tank has never been used, I have tried switching the head to salt water, But the opening is probably full of growths and wont let the salt water through it.

Its a small Cat. but there is plenty of room for two. I love it.

Tere Hau Nui.

Soon to be. Mr B.

Hull 825
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 14:21   #28

Mr B sounds like a great shake down cruse, Glad you had a great time there's some tricks to learn about the boat just ask if you need to know. How was your wind and did you have to reef on your trip?
Old 26-11-2011, 14:54   #29

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

A lot of the time, Phil, The motor was down as an anchor, the Genoa was on the first reef. and I just ran before the wind and waves, I had the windward centre board down as the bows had a tendency to swing wildly sideways,
Putting a lot of strain on the Autopilot, doing this kept me in a virtual straight line, and the Autopilot wasnt working as hard to keep me in a straight line.
I had North to North west winds all the time. I wanted to go south west, so it was a continual battle to go where I wanted to. Diagonally across 5 to 7 metre waves and a north bound very strong current, which made this awfull 4 to 5 metre chop between the rollers.
The boat handled superbly, and not once did I feel unsafe in it.
The waves were another matter, they were very scary most of the time. Varied between huge and monsters.
Speed was mostly 4 to 7 knots. mainly on the Genoa. The main sail when I had it up, made the boat lean too far over for my liking, so I stopped using it.
I am not a very good sailor, and I did want to get my boat home. So I erred on the cautious side most of the way home.
Better safe than sorry. Hahahahahahaha,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 18:36   #30

Kewl story 7 meter are big waves what was the seconds. I want to know more about being launched off the head HAHA that hasn't happened to us yet, ha

Tags
gemini, gemini 105