Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 05:55   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Shipping from Europe (Mainland) to Europe (St. Martin) Question

I have purchased a number of bulky items that I have already paid VAT on and would like to ship to St. Martin and pick up with the boat. Although I know it is (theoretically) possible to ship anywhere and avoid duties by using the "yacht in transit" I'd prefer not to try it by shipping to the BVI or Antigua.

What I am looking for is a company in St. Martin which would accept the delivery and hold the items until such time as I can sail there and pick them up. At the moment I would be sending using one of the DHL/FedEx/UPS companies but if I buy more junk then I would most likely send the items freight, if that makes a difference to the answer.
Old 08-02-2010, 21:23   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I'm not so sure that St Martin is EU. Things change but better check that for each side of the island.

We never had trouble with shipping to non-EU places. Your trouble is retrieving the VAT you paid!!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 23:57   #3

When I had a replacement rudder shipped to the BVI from France I ended up having to pay US import duties and then BVI import duties (despite 'yacht in transit' status and paperwork) and gave up trying to recoup funds; but the sums weren't too large.

This time I don't expect to get my European VAT back but I do need some sort of accomodation address which will take delivery and hold the shipment for me.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Yacht in Transit does not mean "totally" duty free. At the best, it means the item itself is exempt from duty but the cost of shipping and insurance (C-I-T) is subject to local duty. At worst the island simply does not recognize Y-I-T and charges whatever duty they would for the same thing if purchased by a local. Other island governments are somewhere in between. And it is highly variable depending upon which officials, time of day, and phase of the moon. I have paid from nothing to heavy charges over the years on the same category of item. Besides customs duties there are all sorts of other fees including broker fees, post office fees, stamp fees for filing the customs documents, handling fees, etc., etc. which can add up to many times what the normal Y-I-T comes out to. I have paid EC$60 to clear in an item where the actual "duty" was only EC$5.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:19   #5

Well, before I even come to the duties, fees and other costs I need to find some company to which to address the package. If I could use the U.S. Postal service poste restantes service in the USVI I would - but that would add yet another country into the mix.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:29   #6

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Send your things to me Zanshin...If it is really good stuff, you'll get most of the items.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:36   #7

I was afraid you'd chime in here I already was planning on asking you to temporarily store a couple of items that originate in the USA. I hadn't decided yet if I would warn you that the sealed containers had "surprises" presents built into them to make life exciting for the unwary.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:45   #8

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
From what I know of your background I would be disappointed by anything less!!!! With that said you now have me sufficiently concerned enough not to think it's Christmas and tear into everything upon receipt but you also must realize my hostage, I mean storage fees, may be as high as a couple of adult beverages at a fine local watering hole.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03   #9

RubiKoop - I'll be careful with the party popper surprises; I learned my lesson back in the day when the legal consequences of using a self-built CS-gas based burglar alarm were explained to me

I believe in measuring such storage services in discrete pint-sized units. In Oz I'd proclaim "My Shout!".
Old 09-02-2010, 08:47   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Well, before I even come to the duties, fees and other costs I need to find some company to which to address the package. If I could use the U.S. Postal service poste restantes service in the USVI I would - but that would add yet another country into the mix.
I would only do that when the owner of that company knows me or if it is a marina or boatyard where I have a reservation.

But I never do that; my system is to go somewhere where it's easy and nice and stay there long enough to receive them myself.

Don't hurry too much...

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 16:17   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
I have purchased a number of bulky items that I have already paid VAT on and would like to ship to St. Martin and pick up with the boat. Although I know it is (theoretically) possible to ship anywhere and avoid duties by using the "yacht in transit" I'd prefer not to try it by shipping to the BVI or Antigua.

What I am looking for is a company in St. Martin which would accept the delivery and hold the items until such time as I can sail there and pick them up. At the moment I would be sending using one of the DHL/FedEx/UPS companies but if I buy more junk then I would most likely send the items freight, if that makes a difference to the answer.
1st..Why are you buying in Europe and shipping out to a Duty Free Island... surely most boat stuff is available or can be ordered thro' the Chandlers in French or Dutch side much cheaper.... people fly in from Trindad and all over the Islands to shop and still save after paying airfares etc...
As to the question if your shipping it DHL or similar they've holding depots at Julianna airport and you collect on arrival.. had sails by Doyles of Bermuda delivered to St Martin and they were there for 10days before I could get there to collect them....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:20   #12

Boatman61,

I am buying and shipping things that are not available in St. Martin (Froli mattresses) or more expensive there than in europe, even with VAT paid. One item is a Bauer compressor, which is manufactured here in Germany and can be shipped VAT free and whose price through their closest distributor (in the USVI) is quite high since they usually only carry 120V instead of the 230V that I need. I've spent SO much at Island Waterworld, Budget Marine, Cost-U-Less, Electec and various other fine consumer establishments that I feel it is time to spread the 'joy' around a bit

thanks for the information on DHL, I will contact them and see if they will allow a holding period for the shipment; I just assumed that they would not accept items poste restante but would require a physical delivery address.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:57   #13

Maybe try to time a stay at the Simpson Bay Yacht club and recieve your goods there? Just make sure it's not during the Heiniken Regatta.

Boo hoo, invited to race this year but no time.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 15:48   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Boatman61,

I am buying and shipping things that are not available in St. Martin (Froli mattresses) or more expensive there than in europe, even with VAT paid. One item is a Bauer compressor, which is manufactured here in Germany and can be shipped VAT free and whose price through their closest distributor (in the USVI) is quite high since they usually only carry 120V instead of the 230V that I need. I've spent SO much at Island Waterworld, Budget Marine, Cost-U-Less, Electec and various other fine consumer establishments that I feel it is time to spread the 'joy' around a bit

thanks for the information on DHL, I will contact them and see if they will allow a holding period for the shipment; I just assumed that they would not accept items poste restante but would require a physical delivery address.

Thanks!
Shrimpy's used to be a good address but I hear its closed now... otherwise there's the place at Palapa Docks that does the internet and postal/phone service... if Thats still there...cant remember the name... lotsa blank spots in the grey matter these days.... sigh...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 00:59   #15

Boatman61 - I know the place you are talking about, I have gone in there and gotten stuff laminated and used their internet services. I know I paid with my CC so I will check up on my receipts, that is an ideal place if they will accept a 100Kg shipment. I have contacted DHL regarding direct pickup and am waiting to hear back from them, but I'm not particularly sanguine about my chances there.

I think I can talk to the guy who did my wind generator mount, he could accept and store the shipment in his factory for a bit, for a price.

Tags
shipping, St Martin