Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2020, 11:20   #1

Boat: Beneteau 57
New Sails for a Beneteau 57

I'm looking at replacing the sails on a 2005 Beneteau 57. Main sail, Genoa and Stay sail. The boat is in Turkish boat yard and the quotes I'm getting are from UK Sailmakers.
The Beneteau is a cruising boat and I'm interested in advise on which type of sail material to go with.
UK is offering three types of sail material and production type.
Full batten, three rows of reefs.
1. Sailcloth: Dimension Polyant Proradial 434PR (10oz)
Production Type: Triradial Cut
2. Sailcloth: X-Drive Carbon Taffeta / Carbon Yarn
Production Type: X-Drive (Continious Yarn)
3. Sailcloth: Dimension Polyant Hydra Net Radial Dyneema HNR433/483
Production Type: Triradial-Cut

All three types offered with an Offshore Finishing upcharge.

The Proradial 434PR is the least expensive, the Dyneema the most expensive.

I understand the basic material differences between the Proradial 434PR (Dacron), the X-Drive (Carbon Yarn), and the Dyneema. I.E. Weight, shape stability, UV resistance.

I'm just not sure if the upcharge for the X-Drive Carbon (about 12%) or the upcharge for the Dyneema (about 52%) is worth it.

And is the Offshore Finishing worth the additional 10%?

Any advice?
Nightdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 14:23   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: New Sails for a Beneteau 57

Advice? Ask them about sail life of each fabric. We have a similar sail, except it is spectra, not dyneema, and only the top two battens are full. Stay with full battens for all of them. And, after 7 years, and 22,000 n. mi., the shape is still good. It is not as crisp as brand new. The first couple of years, it was hard to get into the boom bag, took a bit of beating it into submission.

We generally patronize local lofts. This sail is very nicely finished. We were quite pleased the day it was delivered. The sailmaker spent quite a while with us, and he made us just what we asked for. It was brilliant.

Ann
Old 07-09-2020, 14:57   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 375

You didn't like the partial battens?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 15:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stone View Post
You didn't like the partial battens?
The reason for the partial battens was to keep the sail stack smaller so we could reach it from the mast step, but I think the shape would be better if they went all the way.

Ann
Old 07-09-2020, 15:42   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver View Post
I'm looking at replacing the sails on a 2005 Beneteau 57. Main sail, Genoa and Stay sail. The boat is in Turkish boat yard and the quotes I'm getting are from UK Sailmakers.
The Beneteau is a cruising boat and I'm interested in advise on which type of sail material to go with.
UK is offering three types of sail material and production type.
Full batten, three rows of reefs.
1. Sailcloth: Dimension Polyant Proradial 434PR (10oz)
Production Type: Triradial Cut
2. Sailcloth: X-Drive Carbon Taffeta / Carbon Yarn
Production Type: X-Drive (Continious Yarn)
3. Sailcloth: Dimension Polyant Hydra Net Radial Dyneema HNR433/483
Production Type: Triradial-Cut

All three types offered with an Offshore Finishing upcharge.

The Proradial 434PR is the least expensive, the Dyneema the most expensive.

I understand the basic material differences between the Proradial 434PR (Dacron), the X-Drive (Carbon Yarn), and the Dyneema. I.E. Weight, shape stability, UV resistance.

I'm just not sure if the upcharge for the X-Drive Carbon (about 12%) or the upcharge for the Dyneema (about 52%) is worth it.

And is the Offshore Finishing worth the additional 10%?

Any advice?
From a strictly pricing point of view I chose Dacron for my cruising sails, and I did not go with a local or an internationally known loft. I bought sails made in China. If you are willing to take all responsibility for the measurements and specifications and forego any after sale service, you can save about 60% of the cost. Example: My mainsail (43'boat) was $2200 delivered in the US, five years ago. Two years ago I bought a 100% headsail and an asymmetrical spinnaker for $1100-$1200 each delivered. My boat is sailed with these sails about 20 times a year. I have had no problems.

If you go with any of the UK choices, I think the offshore finish is worth it.

For racing sails I have also bought from overseas lofts. Carbon fiber molded string sails have been running about 40-50% the price of national or international lofts. They are also used about 20-25 times a year. They have been superb but need some care. I don't think you need black sails.

And, lets see if dockhead weighs in on this topic, he has some experience with sailcloth choices and definitely has views on the subject.
Old 07-09-2020, 16:40   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Have the DP Proradial on our triradial genoa and like it. Same loom as the DP hydranet, w/ dacron/dacron instead. Wearing well and the normal finish is lasting fairly long. Excellent sail and keeps the dacron keeps it in the relatively lower budget range.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 17:08   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have HydraNet and it's just Dacron with some Dyneema fiber woven into it, in a 1" square pattern or so.

Very durable though, especially because it replaced our laminated sails which were completely delaminated.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:47   #8

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

It would be helpful if the original poster could explain how the boat will be used, cruising, racing, high lats, etc.

If budget is a factor, it is difficult to go past the Tasker loft in Thailand. An Australian, Rolly Tasker, started it many years ago, before the rush of offshore production. Of all the offshore producers, they are likely the most-highly recommended.

I haven't ordered sails recently; however, when I did, the cloth was top grade USA-made. The design, cutting and stitching (in Thailand) was first-class. It was imported to the USA without customs duty since the cloth originated here.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:58   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaby View Post
It would be helpful if the original poster could explain how the boat will be used, cruising, racing, high lats, etc.

If budget is a factor, it is difficult to go past the Tasker loft in Thailand. An Australian, Rolly Tasker, started it many years ago, before the rush of offshore production. Of all the offshore producers, they are likely the most-highly recommended.

I haven't ordered sails recently; however, when I did, the cloth was top grade USA-made. The design, cutting and stitching (in Thailand) was first-class. It was imported to the USA without customs duty since the cloth originated here.
I visited the Tasker facility several times, mostly to buy cordage and hardware from their well stocked chandlery section, but on a couple of occasions I asked for advice and a quotation on a new sail. On both occasions I did not find their advice (or the price) to be compelling. Since Rolly is not around, I am not sure the management is up to date on new technology or methods. I did buy a couple of sails from an ex-floor manager of Tasker's after he left and set up a new shop, and he was skillful, but again, his knowledge was out of date.

Maybe Rolly Tasker Sails now has some new talent on board. I'd listen carefully when they talk to see for yourself.
Old 16-09-2020, 15:02   #10

Thanks Ann,
The sails Im being quoted are with 5 full battens.
UK Sails has a comparison on their different types of material, but problem is they arent exactly an objective reviewer.
I would prefer to deal with a local loft, problem is the boat is in a boat yard in Marmaris Turkey and I'm in Southern Calif, so I'm having to do most stuff remotely. The pandemic really messed up my plans, but I'm not going to complain. I'm still healthy and I'll get to my boat sooner or later.
Old 16-09-2020, 15:09   #11

Thanks Wingsail,
The Beneteau is definitely a cruiser, not a racing boat.
I'm not in a position to order from China. I wish I was.
Jeff
Old 16-09-2020, 15:18   #12

Thanks much Bill,
That is very helpful. I'm a little leary of the laminates. As expensive as the sails are, I would hate to have to replace them again in 5 years or so.
Old 16-09-2020, 15:23   #13

Thanks Jedi,
I didnt get a quote on the Hydranet. Guess I'm going to have to check it out.
Jeff
Old 16-09-2020, 15:26   #14

Sorry Wallaby. The boat is definitely a cruiser. As I explained to Ann, I'm not really in a position to order from Thailand or China. I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick with Turkish loft.
Jeff
Old 19-09-2020, 12:50   #15

Boat: Freydis 49

A couple of years ago a guy I met in Trinidad that had just ordered a full set of sails for his Super Amel out of a sail loft in Turkey, they were made in Hydronet and were very well priced. I don't know what he thought of them as we left before he fitted them and don't know the name of the loft.
Pacey16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, sail, sails