Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2019, 08:38   #1

Where is the best place to cross from Maine to Nova Scotia?

Where is the best place to cross from Maine to Nova Scotia and vice versa? If possible, I'd like to do it in one day arriving during daylight.
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 09:44   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Where is the best place to cross from Maine to Nova Scotia?

I don't know, but the CAT high-speed ferry now travels between Bar Harbor, ME and Yarmouth, NS. It used to depart from Portland.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 15:27   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Cutler to Yarmouth is about 80 statute miles, says google maps. One issue is that the further east you go the more you are into the Fundy tides and currents. They are not inconsiderable. Somewhere around three knots in the Grand Manan channel.
Look for a weather window for sure.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 18:44   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I’ve sailed to Grand Manan from Cutler. Fog. Current. Fundy chop. It’s a beautiful place though.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:02   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
Where is the best place to cross from Maine to Nova Scotia and vice versa? If possible, I'd like to do it in one day arriving during daylight.

===

Unless you are in a power boat or unusually fast sail boat, a one day crossing may not be realistic. You might want to consider leaving the Portland area mid-day, sailing all night, and arriving daylight the next day. Hopefully you have radar and are comfortable with using it. Even with daylight departure and arrival there is always a risk of heavy fog.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:12   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

We've done the crossing a few times. We go from Grand Manan Island (North Head harbor - free moorings) to Yarmouth, sailing when we can but usually motoring. Takes us about 13-14 hours in our little 31-foot sailboat. Doable in daylight in June or July. Leaving from Seal Cove may save an hour.

We ignore the tides, as over the course of the trip you'll go through a full flood and ebb, which tend to cancel each other out. You can get some chop and even strong eddy's along the way, more up near Grand Manan than further south. Stay clear of Brier Island and vicinity for the tidal currents can top 9 knots.

Other folks with bigger boats go from Mount Desert Island (MDI) to Yarmouth, time depends on the boat (98 naut. miles, depending on where you leave from the island).

I believe Cutler has fuel and it's just a few hours from there to Gran Manan.
No fuel at North Head.

You'll clear customs in Yarmouth. They may or may not show up and board.

Any other info, contact us. We live on our boat on MDI all summer and much of the year at our other home in Nova Scotia.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:51   #7

Boat: Dufour 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
We've done the crossing a few times. We go from Grand Manan Island (North Head harbor - free moorings) to Yarmouth
Hi.
Just looked at my chart and don’t see any info about the moorings.
I guess that they are outside the harbour and would provide no shelter in an easterly, is that right? Are they usually available?
Thanks.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:12   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelsole View Post
... I guess that they (moorings) are outside the harbour ...
Apparently.
See “The Cruising Guide to the Nova Scotia Coast” - Updates
https://www.pilot-press.com/novascotia.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 11:23   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post

Consider Grand Manan to shorten your exposure to any possible slop or fog.
This route is safe from rocks,heavy traffic,fishing gear,etc. NB & NS lobster seasons are closed(no pots) during July-Nov.

Roque Island,Me- North Head,GMI-an easy day run.Call Can. Customs enroute.https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...pb-pp-eng.html

North Head-(Flaggs Cove) free moorings usually available or good anchorage in mooring field-protected in anything but a 25+kt E-SE. Rare in summer-easily forecast.
Berthage @ $20US/$30Cdn/night. Call GM Harbour Auth. for berth. 506-662-8482
https://www.google.com/maps/search/C...1!1e3?hl=en-US

You will be looked after @ GM-just ask

Set your VHF on Ch 14 in Fundy-no one uses 16. Contact Fundy Traffic on 14. They will ask routine particulars of your vessel.They will have you on radar at all times & inform you of any other traffic.

North Head - Grand Passage,NS -28Nm-gets you out of the Bay of Fundy & into relative shelter of St Marys Bay,NS. Plan to go thru the Passage on the ebb or slacks.

OR N.H. direct to Yarmouth,NS-long day but doable.

Plan on fuel enough to motor the whole trip -winds & tides are not always in your favour in this area-plan for the worst case

Len

This link may help https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13392.shtml

https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13394.shtml

Old 21-05-2019, 12:49   #10

Boat: Alberg 35 Yawl eventide

The shortest route would be Bar Harbour to Shelburne. I think most cruisers use Shelburne to clear in. would be 30 some hours.
blakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 12:52   #11

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I wouldn't go from grand Manan or Cutler, I would consider it going back to Maine. Even a 15 knot SW against a flood tide is damned rough in anything less than 40 feet. In my 30 footer NE Hr. to Yarmouth is 22 hours more or less, same going the other way, and usually a beam or close reach
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 13:38   #12

Hey Lionelsole

As Deblin just noted, the moorings at North Head harbor are in the north end, north of the ferry dock. Free, stout and pretty well protected. Just enter the harbor and turn right and go almost as far north as you can and there they are. You can dinghy into a float a bit south or beach, but remember if you beach that the tides there are 23 ft. average.

Nice place, Grand Manan. Great folks and some lovely walking. We've always wanted to go camping there on the northern ledges. Terrific campsites.

Cheers
Old 21-05-2019, 13:44   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 44 CC Cutter

We did Roque Island ME to Shelburne NS. Yes, takes more than one day. We were far enough out that the Fundy effects were minimal. Make sure you have a send and receive AIS. A VERY big cruise ship stayed a 1/4 mile off our port side after we rounded Seal Rock. We never saw it due to night/fog. AIS is indispensable when teamed with RADAR. The big guys will call you if they sense you might be changing course. Thats a good thing.
Old 24-05-2019, 05:18   #14

Mahayana mentioned Roque Island, ME. If any of you are headed Downeast or on over to Nova Scotia, do try to stop in this very special small bay. It's surrounded by a mile long white sandy beach with no homes on the beach (though the island is privately owned). One of New England's loveliest anchorages. The owners are kind enough to allow anchorage and beach access, but kindly respect their privacy and don't wander inland. You may see them riding their horses along the beach. We've also seen as many as a half-dozen bald eagles on the rocks near the beach. There is also a small inlet on the west side of the bay that allows you to dinghy around the other side of the island to explore. Wonderful Stop!

Cheers!
Old 24-05-2019, 06:33   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish, your bigger cruising plans for the season. I’ve crossed twice Shelbourne to Marblehead. No dealing with those tides except for the can sling current. But then I was moving, not exploring. Going up I ran from the Delaware Bay to Shelbourne. Nice yacht club, fuel available. Pretty town. Some repair facilities.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
maine, nova scotia