Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 06:03   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pearson 35, 1974
Sailing to Peru and Ecuador

I am planning to sail to Ecuador and Peru this year. I live in Costa Rica and that is my starting point. Any new advice or tips from anyone that knows about that? Gracias.
jungleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 07:03   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Sailing to Peru and Ecuador

We went as far south as Ecuador. Much further south you are facing a pretty strong adverse (Humboldt) current. We loved Ecuador but just stayed in one place (Bahia de Carraquez) and travelled on land. There are not very many places to stop and the bureaucracy is complicated and somewhat expensive - you need to check out of one port (internal zap) before going to the next. I could be wrong, but I think there are very few harbours along the coast of Peru. Check Noonsite for details. If you wanted to visit Peru it would probably make sense to head to head to the Galapagos and then Easter Island and then come back to the mainland (you could include Chile in your travels which is much more interesting) and then come north along the coast of Peru back to Ecuador.

Another thought, Carraquez was near the epicentre of the big earthquake last year, don't know if the infrastructure has been rebuild. We took up a double mooring in the river there run by an American ex-pat. It was secure and a good place to leave the boat safely. The river mouth is quite shallow and you need to use a local 'pilot' to guide you in and out. Have no idea if the earthquake could affect the river depths.
Old 24-04-2017, 18:50   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pearson 35, 1974

That is pretty much the consensus I get from the limited information available. My recent plans have been to sail to French Polynesia, route back to Chile. Maybe make a stop in Callao, Peru, Ecuador and then back to Costa Rica. I know there is some rugged sailing unless I go way south on the way back, but good things never come easy. I brought my Pearson 35 down to Costa Rica in December when the trades were whipping at their best. Got the Papagayo winds on a trip back from Nicaragua and Honduras. After a while, it eventually ends.

Thanks so much for the info! It is difficult to get information for that area. You are spot on about the bureaucracy in Central America and South America. They love it!

Pura Vida!
jungleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 07:22   #4

Looking into Ecuador I found this place: Puerto Amistad Restarurant and Marina
Sounds like where Aini stayed. Does anyone else have input on marinas along Ecuador? Very intetested in the country and will probably be in a boat this side of the canal this fall....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 13:14   #5

Boat: Formosa CC 47, electric propulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
Sounds like where Aini stayed. Does anyone else have input on marinas along Ecuador? Very intetested in the country and will probably be in a boat this side of the canal this fall....
There are not a lot of Marinas in Ecuador, the ones I know personally are Puerto Lucia (were I am most of the time), Salinas (not possible if not a member), Puerto Lopez (fishing bay, the name deceives), Manta (Industrial and lot of surge)
Other ports are Guayaquil of course
And Puerto Amistad (heard good comments about it)
Capt. Arnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2017, 13:29   #6

Boat: Norseman 447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post

Yes it is the same place. It's a great place to keep your boat to do a road trip. The mornings are usually secure but one Boat had problems twice with the Mooring breaking loose. Otherwise it's great. I think we paid three dollars a day for the mooring for our 75 foot schooner back in 2007 We took the bus down to Guayaquil and then walked across the border and took a plane down to do the sacred Valley in Machu Picchu. Don't miss!

Greg

Tags
Ecuador, Peru, sail, sailing