Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 01:20   #1

preparing boat in the Mediterranean for an Atlantic crossing

Hi,
I'm planning to do an Atlantic crossing on 2021 (if Corona allows...), and want to use the winter of 2020-21 for mechanical preparations. My boat, a Beneteau Oceanis 1989 S/V is in Greece at the moment. I am looking for recommendations as to where there is a good boat yard that can help me with the preparations.
I prefer a boat yard in Greece, but if there is a particularly recommended yard elsewhere in the Med, I will consider going there.
More specifically, has anyone had experienced working with Basimakopoulos shipyard, or Franks' yachtstation,or Cleopatra Marina?
Again, I want to stress that I'm not asking about a facility with just good "parking" for the boat, but one that has good, dependable technicians.

Many thanks in advance for your responses,
Udi
Udira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:04   #2

Re: preparing boat in the Mediterranean for an Atlantic crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udira View Post
Hi,
I'm planning to do an Atlantic crossing on 2021 (if Corona allows...), and want to use the winter of 2020-21 for mechanical preparations. My boat, a Beneteau Oceanis 1989 S/V is in Greece at the moment. I am looking for recommendations as to where there is a good boat yard that can help me with the preparations.
I prefer a boat yard in Greece, but if there is a particularly recommended yard elsewhere in the Med, I will consider going there.
More specifically, has anyone had experienced working with Basimakopoulos shipyard, or Franks' yachtstation,or Cleopatra Marina?
Again, I want to stress that I'm not asking about a facility with just good "parking" for the boat, but one that has good, dependable technicians.

Many thanks in advance for your responses,
Udi
Don’t know, I don’t do much boat work in Greece,

I do very much boat work in Spain

The advantage with Spain is infrastructure

Cost is fair
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Udi.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:24   #4

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Don’t know, I don’t do much boat work in Greece,

I do very much boat work in Spain

The advantage with Spain is infrastructure

Cost is fair
Where in Spain do you reccomend, big country, Any yard good for jump off to Canaries?
Old 03-05-2020, 07:40   #5

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Neither Greece or Spain are very good if you need anything consider 'exotic' like core materials, your choice of resin, sigmadur paints, monel rivets. Both tend to prefer to sell the cheapest nastiest rubbish around. Especially in parts of Spain like Cartagena which is a great city to winter in, but terrible for anything boat wise. They don't even sell tinned cable. In fact even some of the online Spanish Chandleries don't sell tinned cable.

Almerimar has a good selection of stuff, as well as good rigging, and fabrication, but it's not a nice place for more an a week or so.

Around Nidri, Prevesa, Lefkas, in Greece there are tons of chandleries, but you'll still find you need to order most stuff from abroad. Cleopatra, Aktio, and the other one who's name escapes me at the moment all have limited chandleries. I lifted out in Magarona, just the other side of town, since Cleopatra and the others are stuck in the middle of nowhere and a taxi to Preveza town is about €17.

This was my experience, and I was only doing relatively simple jobs. Really you need to be in the UK, Germany to have the best access to all materials.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:06   #6

Boat: Westerly Storm 33

You might want to take a look at Malta. I know the Island well, though not as a sailing base. It has good and secure marinas and big ship repair facilities. They speak English and are well connected in terms of flights - though inevitably that will change post-coronavirus. You're also half way down the Med there.

Paul Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:08   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400

Cleopatra marina in Preveza has a very good yard. The chandlery in the marina has limited stock, but for an ongoing project they will order and bring anything you ask for.
Then, there is a better stocked chandlery in Preveza, Tsoumakis. On the waterfront near south end of town marina
+302682089778, +306942052960
Old 03-05-2020, 09:31   #8

I have used Ionian Boat Assistance for many years. They are an English set up run by Kelvin, based in Nidri. Their standard of workmanship is first class and I've yet to find anything they can't do. Work I've had done in the past includes insurance corrective work on a Feeling 1040 following the mini hurricane that devastated yachts in Vlyho bay. Installation of new hot water system from scratch in 2015,(cold water system before)
Currently, they are carrying out a multi thousand pound job on my Trintella 44a.
Trintella44a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:11   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

We found Athens to have multiple resources for boat projects at 1/2 price or less than the states. Anything can be ordered and shipped quickly if not found in the many chandleries.
I've yet to find a better place for boat work.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 13:48   #10

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Give Dennis and Cheryl Clayton a call at Costa Blanca Yacht Services, Torrevieja in Spain. Great service built on years of experience and excellent standard of work. Perhaps a little more expensive than others, but you get what you pay for.
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 22:09   #11

Boat: atlantic 31

Sports Marina Kallitheas in Athens.
It has everything, good prices, and a lot of S / Vs are ready for this trip
lask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 23:10   #12

Thanks everyone for all this helpful information!!
Udira is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, mediterranean, boat