Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2009, 13:32   #1

Boat: Bristol 35 - Bellesa
Smile Cooking Without Refrigeration / Microwave

Hello! I wanted to start a thread for cruisers to post recipes that do not require proper refrigeration or microwaves to create. My boating experience is primarily weekend cruising and I have never gone for more than two weeks without touching land. Our boat has a propane grill, a two-burner alcohol stove, and I have a portable oven that I received for Christmas but have not yet used. (I’d be interested how they work for others.) We have a medium-sized cooler as well – but I’m limiting myself to recipes that *can* be made without cooled products. (Everyone knows when they can make an exception based on what they have/enjoy.)

Since I’m starting the thread, I thought I should offer a recipe. I encourage people to include menu ideas so others don’t have to wonder what might be served with their recipe!

Menu for Two or Three People (Everything is easily doubled. Measurements are approximated.)

Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce
Kiwi, pineapple, banana and red grape salad
Bread with butter*

Spaghetti with White Clam Sauce
8 ounces of angel hair pasta, uncooked
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 or 2 teaspoons of minced garlic (I like two!)
3 – 6 ounce cans of clams, chopped or minced (I used one minced & two chopped.)
Freshly ground pepper
2 to 4 packages (1 tablespoon each) of parmesan cheese. (They often come with pizza delivery. Fresh parmesan IS better, but you have to have refrigeration then!)

Cook pasta according to the directions on the package, omitting salt and fat. While pasta cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for two minutes. Add liquid from clams and simmer for five minutes. Add clams and simmer another five minutes.

Drain pasta well and combine with the clam sauce tossing to coat. Sprinkle with the cheese and pepper, and serve.

Fruit Salad
1 – snack-sized can of chunk or crushed pineapple (I prefer unsweetened.)
1 – banana, sliced
1 – kiwi, sliced
Add enough red grapes to make your desired serving size (I used 10 to 20.)

Combine the pineapple and banana first, so the banana does not brown. Then add rest and serve.

Bread with Butter*

*I only serve bread and butter when we have company, because we’d rather spend the calories on chocolate when on our own.

Get your favorite bread and slather on butter. Butter can be stored without refrigeration in a butter bell, A simple internet search for “butter bell” will show where they can be obtained.

~Kathleen
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 13:50   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Welcome to the board!

My first boat was a pocket cruiser, I often sailed for 2 months or more in the Bahamaian heat with no refrigeration.

Some meals I often had were:

Spaghetti

Pasta Pesto

Peanut Thai

Cajun Jumbali (Best with lobster)

Burritoes.

Pizza pockets.

None required any refigeration. Summer sausage, pepperoni and cheese purchased in small packages will keep a long time without refrigeration as well as many meats in foil pouches. I made most tomato sauces based on tomato paste with the appropriate seasoning packages and spices added. Staples such as flower, rice and pasta are of course normally not refrigerated. Peanuts, peanut butter, soy sauce, olive oil, lemon juice and other makings for thai sauce also keep well. I also purchase red thai sauce in a pouch from CurrySimple online. Veggies are a bit more tricky, but I either bought canned or dried my own in a food dehydrator. Onions often keep quite a while without a need to dry them. Many others will last a few days or more in milder climates. If found those mini hammocks useful for keeping such things dry, in the air and not getting bruised against cabinet walls.

Pre packaged meals have come a long ways as well. Trader Joes carries many organic, ethnic meals which only require minimal heating and cost as little as $2 each. Fish and lobster are a bonus when you can catch them.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 17:59   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Kathleen, after reading your intro I was hoping you'd start a thread on recipes and here you are - cool. I am strictly learning and have too few recipes to input. I am always experimenting, right now it is grilling pizza.
Cheers,
Erika

Grilled Asparagus
-----------------------
Asparagus - the skinnier the asparagus the better (pencil size are the bomb )
olive oil
sea salt and pepper

Toss asparagus with olive oil, pinch of salt and pepper.
Grill until tender and a nice deep green (I like a very hot grill to give grill lines and great flavor)
enjoy
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:57   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
If you have onions, olive oil and garlic you can cook almost anything and it will be good. keep a good supply of herbs and spices, fresh is better, but dried will work. You would be surprised and how you can really doctor up some of the canned soups. Adding stewed tomatoes, chopped clams, with sauteed onions and garlic.... it goes on and on. Experiment and you will be surprised and what you can make. We keep most of our vegetables in a swinging hamick. Onions, potatoes, peppers, ginger, garlic, fruits they last quite a while.

And by the way we only have an ice box, no refrigeration and we eat very well. We sailed her down to Jacksonville from CT, we ate on board 80% of the time. Still living on the boat and eating most of meals on board.
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 15:04   #5
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
mayo, mustard and ketchup in small containers or packets keep until opened and then keep well for a time opened if not contaminated. Fresh Basil can be kept in a damp towel in the bilge along with garlic and other sturdy veggies. Canned salmon is easy. Pasta is easy. olive oil is easy. Parmesan does well with out refrigeration. wrap in a dry cloth and place in sealed container in bilge to keep on the cool side.

Salmon Pesto with Pasta

Boil salted water for pasta. I often use roti for this.
Blend basil and olive oil and pine nuts in blender to make about a cup. Alternatively a small plastic tub of prepared pesto will keep well for days in the bilge.
Add to equal parts mayo. A small 8oz jar is about right for 4 to 6 servings. salt and pepper as needed.
Toast a cup of pine nuts in pan on stove top.
Grate a hunk of Parmesan, about a cup
Drain the pasta and stir in the sauce, most of the pine nuts and most of the cheese. Add a bit of the pasta water to thin if it needs it. Flake in a large can of salmon trying to leave the pieces large and stir in gently.
Serve the extra cheese and pine nuts on top.

This will require no refrigeration, but I have to say I almost always throw a bag of frozen peas into the cooler and add these. They add a nice taste and colour. But you don't have to have them!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 16:57   #6

Boat: Bristol 35 - Bellesa
Great ideas, everyone! Island Mike and nautical62, we would love to hear a recipe from you - especially after the great ideas. To add to the list, I've heard that eggs that have never been refrigerated can keep for a long time without refrigeration. My grandparents always took their eggs from the hen house to the counter and I don't remember any trip to the ER or hanging over a toilet from it. I don't remember whether the taste of the eggs differed either.

Ocean girl, have you made the grilled pizza on a boat grill? Honestly, I've never heard of grilled pizza, so would love to hear more. Grilled asparagus is just plain yummy. I made some eggplant in a similar way.

Grilled Eggplant
Slice a peeled eggplant into 1/2 rounds and soak for 30 minutes in salted water. Pat the rounds dry and brush each round on both sides with a mixture of olive oil and dried basil. When the rounds wilt and have nice grill marks on each side, test for doneness. Once done, sprinkle with sea salt and fresh pepper, and serve. I usually make this with a side of pasta with marinara. Of course, I never forget to sprinkle all with some grated parmesan.

Sarafina, your salmon pesto and pasta may end up on the menu of our next overnight. Question, how mayonnaiseish is the dish and how much pasta do you use? I love the frozen peas idea. Not only could they help keep the cooler cold, but bags of frozen peas work great on pulled muscles.

~Kathleen
Old 07-08-2009, 17:00   #7
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
not mayoish at all... most folks wouldn't know that was in it... reads more like a creamy pesto. and that was for around a lb of pasta but I confess to being a seat of the pants cook and don't measure much of anything!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 17:32   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
if you peel cloves of garlic they will keep a very long time if you submerge them in olive oil in a jar.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 18:57   #9

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
I think it would be great to do a favorite recipie string. I want to add that amost everything is available canned. I just pruchased canned bacon, canned chicken, canned beef roast even canned red peppers (texture is good). I purchased dried milk, cheese, butter and eggs.

Do you have a presure cooker. I have made this several times and always vary things a bit. Add meat or bacon if you have it.

Ingredients
Directions

Bring to pressure and cook 20 min, remove and allow pressure to drop. Add 1/2 tsp salt

1. Stir thorougly and add 1/2 tsp salt and season to taste.
Old 07-08-2009, 19:08   #10

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
Warm bread from your stove top - yummm and it makes a great pizza crust!

Flat Bread

Ingredients
  • 1 package dry active yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water (not over 110 degrees)
  • 2 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus additional for rolling
  • 1/4 cup wholle wheat flour or coarse rye flour
  • 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • Olive oil, for brushing breads
Directions

Combine the yeast and water in the bowl of an electric mixer. Let it rest until frothy, about 15 minutes. Using the paddle attachment, incorporate the flours into the yeast mixture. Beat in the salt and fennel. Switch to the dough hook and knead for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the dough and place it into a lightly oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover the dough with plastic and allow it to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down, cover, and let it rise a second time until doubled, about 45 minutes.
Turn the risen dough out onto a work surface and divide it into 8 balls aproximately 3 ounces each. Place the balls on a floured cookie sheet, cover with a damp towel, and let them rest for 20 minutes. On a lightly floured work surface roll the balls out, dusting with flour as needed. Roll into 7-inch disks. Prepare a hot charcoal or stove top grill. Lightly brush the disks with olive oil. Place the disks, oiled side down on the grill. The breads will begin to rise almost immediately. When golden brown on 1 side, flip the breads over, brush again and cook until brown. Remove from the grill and serve warm.
VARIATIONS: Calzones: Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of a mixture of freshly grated Parmesan and coarsely ground black pepper and fold over.
Pizzas: After turning top with a simple tomato sauce made with fresh basil and roasted garlic. Yield: 3/4 cup
Old 07-08-2009, 21:16   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Grilled Pizza
----------------
Any kind of flat bread or Boboli pizza crust, ( you can use a portabella mushroom instead of a bread crust)
Olive oil
garlic (as much as you can handle )
mushrooms
Tomatoes
Basil
Mozzarella cheese (grated or thinly sliced)

1) Rub crust down with olive oil and pre-grill crust, grill only the side the topping will be on, this keeps the crust from getting soggy. (If using portabella mushroom skip first step)
2) Place crust (pre-grilled side up) on cutting board for a work surface.
3) Add chopped garlic, sliced or cubed tomatoes, sliced mushrooms and then top with cheese. sprinkle with basil (leaves or chopped) and more garlic (garlic breath be damn )
4) Dribble olive oil over the whole thing and slide pizza off cutting board onto a medium hot grill.
5) cover and grill until cheese is melted and crust is a perfect crispy brown, check for even cooking, may have to rotate pizza to avoid a half raw half burned pizza crust.

I am still working on the average grilling time and having trouble with an even pizza crust. May buy a pizza pan for even cooking, but don't want to unless I must (space issue).
The portabella crusts are perfect for entertaining guests (easy counting the servings) I remove the stems and chop them up to add to the pizza filling.

All sorts of variations for the filling:
add crushed red peppers for a kick
add pepperoni for meat lovers
Anchovies
canned pineapple and sliced ham for a hawiian pizza
shaved/cubed chicken (sweet sue canned chicken) with sliced red onions and some BBQ sauce (fantastic)

Enjoy,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 21:54   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Brazilian Moqueca

This is the traditional Brazilian fish stew, see also Moqueca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finally a different recipe for the fish we catch!

Put fish fillets and/or squid rings, shrimps, mussels, any-sea-food in a bowl and sprinkle some lime juice, salt and pepper over it and let marinate while you cook the rest of the dish:

Take a big pot, like a Dutch oven. Put on medium to hot flame and pour 1/8" of olive oil in. Chop as much garlic as you dare and throw it in. Chop up some big onions and in they go. Chop up "same amount" of bell peppers; in they go. Cook until onions start coloring. Estimate how many cans of stewed tomatoes is the same volume as what's in the pot now, drain them and throw it in. Add half a bush of cilantro and 1 or 2 fish-stock cubes. No water! Add some hot sauce or chili flakes, salt (can use ansjovis(paste) instead of salt) and freshly ground pepper. All this according to taste.

Put marinated fish/any-sea-food on top. Put lid on and "steam" the fish on medium heat for 8 minutes. Stir and add a good squirt of coconut milk (not the sweet pina collada type) and the rest of the cilantro.

Serve with white rice or french bread.

About "without refrigeration": bell pepper can be had in cans or jars (the fire roasted are our favorite). Dried cilantro is available but tastes differently. Fish stock cubes are hard to find in many places. You can make your own fish stock and boil it down to get rid of the water, or just use that stock and make a soup of it, served with bread.

This recipe and more (some in Dutch, some in English) on: s/v Jedi: de kombuis

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:04   #13
blu

Boat: Herroscoff H28 29ft Belo Vula
Thumbs up Namus/Ota

White fleshed fish off the hook, skinned and cubed,
Dice tomatoe,
Sliced shallot or onion,
Chillie if you like.
Mix together and cover with fresh lime or lemon juice.
Let sit min 6hrs-8hrs, in coolest place onboard (ice box or fridge if ya got it)
Mix with coconut cream or milk,
Eat
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 04:18   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
For the carnivores and omnivores amongst us...

You don't have to give up meat because you lack refrigeration. You can order canned meats online from Brinkman Farms. They are very good quality and work well in stew, chili con carne, and sauces for pasta and rice based dishes. We've tried their chunky pork, chicken, and beef, and their ground beef and were very happy with them.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:32   #15

The grilled asparagus sounds wonderful!
Beverly Stayart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooking, food, meals, recipes