Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2018, 16:32   #1

Boat: None
Bavaria Nautitech Fly 46

brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 16:34   #2

Re: Bavaria Nautitech Fly 46

This Range Rover of the Sea is quick – and with the truly revolutionary flybridge it’s unique. Three years after the 18 knot+ sailing with the then new Nautitech Open 40, here the proof of the performance of the Fly 46. Not the Ferrari like crazy performance of the very light Open 40, but we’re doing a competition beating, constant 10-12 knots with 20-30 knot winds, and top at 14.2 knots.

Back to the boat four ingredients of what the fuss is all about: 1) an “exactly right” comfortable flybridge with seating for lots of people, wide enough for a sunbed, providing 360 degree uninterrupted views, and air passing through which in a hot Mediterranean summer is fantastic; 2) an in-mast furling mainsail which means easy singlehandling and no big heavy loads of reefing line spagetthi, and no climbing high to pack sail into sail cover, 3) combined with this 20%+ better speed performance over the competition, with 4) comparable pricing instead of Outremer millions, means it has what no others have – the holy grail of comfort for the family and better than average performance.

I keep singing the praises of the flybridge – that is because it is really amazing, particularly from a sociable sailing point of view. On the third storey or top deck, happy guys sailing fast in what feels a cockpit of a monohull (but without all the discomfort of that, having large sofas all around, which face the bows of the boat avoiding “monohull neck ache”) while on the second storey or main deck, the ladies can have a chat over a cup of tea in complete stable serenity. I’ve not seen a flybridge on a cat under 65 feet … and I haven’t seen a flybridge on any catamaran that is designed and executed so well. Great for spectacular views at anchor and while sailing; great for mooring with everything in view, but also great for relaxing in a marina – you’re way high above eye level so people walking past don’t invade your privacy. Oh ….. and when you’re sailing past a “leadrider” stone age monohull at double digit speeds, be sure to be polite, lean over, wave down to say hi.

The fly also finally eliminates the much disliked double wheels on the back, which impede traffic to the stern platform for the dinghy, for swimming and which wheels on the back give cyclops blinkers half-vision during sailing and manoeuvring.

She was just delivered from La Rochelle a few days earlier, in January storms, winds averaged 45 knots with gusts to 65 knots, 8+ metre waves from behind – making her average 12 knots over 24 hours, and peaking at 19.2 knots. Why David Pritchard the delivery skipper did not make video none of us knows, we are all pulling out our hair ! Key Yachting adds that the only boats they deliver during winter storms are the Nautitech catamarans. They feel very safe indeed – I notice very clearly, having sailed many production catamarans, the narrow Marc Lombard hulls give a significantly kinder motion as they seem to moderate – the boat seems to move through the water by slicing, rather than with very wide, volume oriented hulls, sitting on top of it.

On safety – we had 20-30 knots of true wind, both going to windward and away from the wind, we carried full sail, and even beating to windward which created 40 knots of apparent wind, there was no fuss – only when in a gust we buried half of one of the bows, did we slacken off the traveller and mainsail. In normal circumstances I would have reefed at that point, but it was good for the test to see what happened if you push her more: nothing dramatic at all, and in the saloon inside the water was still in the glass standing on the table. On sailing in more gentle conditions, I have a feeling with a gennaker she will do similar decent double digit speeds, based on videos I have seen and words from Paul Heys who tells it like it is.

Another thing on sailing it: it is just so … easy. Uniquely, there are no huge amounts of sheets, halyards and lines everywhere, just a jib and main sheet, one line to pull the main out, and an endless short loop to bring it back in, and a jib furler line. That’s it ! All of these fit neatly into one (1) square sailbag. You will (sorry I am using this word too much) uniquely NOT be standing knee deep in spaghetti, wondering which line is which, and how long it will take you to coil it all up giving you rough hands and a painful shoulder (another thing the electric winch does not do for you). Don’t forget catamarans of this size without exception have slab reefed mains with a big roach to create more sail area. This means, you’re not just hoisting the main, you are hoisting three sets of very long, very heavy lines that you don’t need, plus when bringing the sail down, you’ve got to scoop these up from everywhere, put them in the “lazy”bag (wrong term, there’s nothing lazy about it, beware), climb up there when the boat is pitching and rolling, then somehow zip the entire length of the boom, holding on for dear life as there is a very long fall downwards possible. No wonder cats sail with furling jib or gennaker all the time. First and foremost: the Bav N fly 46 has a Kemp Selden in-mast furling mainsail with Elvstrom sails with vertical battens. Elvstrom and Kemp have done these furlers for some twenty years now and they have got it right. Alright, there is no roach – but cleverly Nautitech have made the boom longer to compensate for this – a boom which is so far away that it will never pose a threat to people on board. Now with a furling main, don’t forget it’s not just “the sail is down”, no it’s “the sail is down and completely stowed away cleanly and neatly, without any further work or having to go rockclimbing rodeo style on a slippery, high moving mountain. Secondly, both the furling genoa is self tacking so there’s only one sheet instead of two to operate and stow.

No doubt with Bavaria in the background, Nautitech have improved and shortened delivery times, have improved the finish, materials used, it’s getting hard to fault …. Yes they are still missing the beat slightly not having decent interior lighting (just horrible white harsh LEDs in the ceiling, nothing else like warm white spots or indirect lighting) and not having hydraulic rods holding hatches open (a throwback to the seventies, and having had these, I notice it’s very annoying indeed to need one arm to hold the hatch open and only have one arm to do things) but these things are minor and fixable, and in many respects the boat feels more luxurious than competitors with lots of teak and stainless steel, avoiding the white plastic feel of competitors. And the flybridge cushions need a few more Velcro attachment points. But above all, please, Nautitech, give us all the glass emergency hatches under the staircase, which let you see the water underneath the boat while sailing and at anchor – which kids love; which make us smile first tahing in the morning on holiday in the Mediterranean summer, which are used everyday, to check for jellyfish before swimming.

And Marc Lombard – think hard if it’s not possible to get a flybridge on the Open 40, it may due to proportions not look that good but it will be very popular.
Old 19-01-2018, 03:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

There appears to be no protection from the elements on the fly bridge, hence the full wet weather gear the guys are wearing. I'd like something like many other production cats where your upper body aren't that far above the roof line, thus a plastic windscreen is possible for simply and effective weather protection.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 03:58   #4

hi ausaviator, if you want protection, or to be warm and safe at night during passages, there is a pretty comfortable wheelhouse on the second storey of this three storey mini-superyacht. unlike a monohull, if you come on or off watch, as you're not heeling it's also possible to have a warm shower. but I digress: yes it's January in the UK so we're wearing foul weather gear but you would do that on any boat in those conditions.

I have sailed quite a few cats with flybridges, usually they are over 65 feet; there too the guardrails/backrests etc are not very high - that is to not impede the views when you are sitting down. it actually compared to others feels very secure, more secure than a Lagoon 440 or 450 flybridge, mainly due to the fact there is a full size bimini, with vertical posts either side of the helmsmans seat, there is always something there to hold on, but that holding on point is not "in the way" of traffic routes, the ergonomics are well thought out, no irritation or banging heads or having to bend down in places - all is well when moving fully upright; they got it right on this one I think.

I also noticed that from the helm position, you can see both stern platforms as the aft hard bimin has been angled back at the exact right point. The other flybridges I mentioned I have experienced, require some walking around to see what is going on at sterns of the boat - with the Lagoon 450 if you are Med mooring, you are pretty much blind up there which is annoying as you require switched on crew or as the Lagoon 450 I sailed, cameras which are less ideal. This illustrates a lot of sailing experience has been translated well into the design - something that more often than not lacks.
Old 19-01-2018, 04:50   #5
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Hi brainmaker, thanks for sharing. One question: you are beating at the beginning of the video but when the instrument shows 14.2 knts bspd you are going downwind (140 TWA) aren't you ? or am i misreading ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 04:53   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

The true test (for most of us, I dare say) is how the boat sails in light winds. I like the Open 40 & 46, although they still have some issues, but I don’t typically have, or sail in, 20-30 knot winds. I’d like to see the boat tested in 5, 10, and 15 it wind to see how she does.

Respectfully,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 05:27   #7

Hiya Rom, yes you are right - I noticed that myself as well when watching it later. Well spotted. What viewers ask me to do is to put the most spectacular bits right at the beginning of the video, as an "executive summary" of the whole video. So the two different scenes of beating and then showing a high speed (the highest of the day) are not related but different "highlights". We were doing 11-12 knots on the beating to windward bit right at the beginning where there was goodlooking spray shooting upwards in the wind. Thanks for watching and happy sailing - as a 440 owner you must like the flybridge ... I always think of Impi's videos when I see flybridges - great boat !
Old 19-01-2018, 06:39   #8
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

If and when the infurling main refuses to furl, how do you reef or lower the main safely, keeping in mind it has vertical battens.
I also have the same question as LeeV, how does she sail in light air?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 06:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
Not the Ferrari like crazy performance of the very light Open 40, but we’re doing a competition beating, constant 10-12 knots with 20-30 knot winds, and top at 14.2 knots.
Seriously, the open 40 when run in real boat on boat conditions has been a disappointment, almost everything beat it at Airlie and Hammo Race weeks, it is one of the slower boats in the social fun race fleet in Brisbane. As for "competition beating " 10 knots in 20-30, dont know what competition you are referring to, I know of a few cheaper production cats that will do better than that. In fact most production cats I have sailed of any brand are able to do constant 10s in 25 knots - thats less than half windspeed, Nice boat and everything but I think you are overhyping it a bit.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 15:26   #10

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
The true test (for most of us, I dare say) is how the boat sails in light winds. I like the Open 40 & 46, although they still have some issues, but I don’t typically have, or sail in, 20-30 knot winds. I’d like to see the boat tested in 5, 10, and 15 it wind to see how she does.

Respectfully,
Yes load it up and let's see the boat sail in under 10 knots Tws please.

I big plus if you can see the port stern from up there though.

What's the designed payload?
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 05:39   #11

hiya Factor,

I see you are referring to race weeks - and you've got a pure racing multi yourself, this is not a racer but a cruiser, and for that it's got pretty decent performance, I am comparing against FP/Lagoon/Catana Bali/Leopards I have had the pleasure to sail over the years.

Can you name me a cruising cat with all comforts on board, of 46 feet weighing less than 11 tonnes, that has better performance and a similar price to Lagoon/FP/Bavaria Nautitech ? Cramped dazcats not allowed !

If it wasn't for kids on board, I'd be on a TS42 or TS5.

Interested to see your answer
Old 20-01-2018, 13:15   #12
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainmaker View Post
Can you name me a cruising cat with all comforts on board, of 46 feet weighing less than 11 tonnes, that has better performance and a similar price to Lagoon/FP/Bavaria Nautitech ? Cramped dazcats not allowed !
the spec says 11400 kg "unloaded weigth". Of course no one knows what that means but a "light displacement" per CE regulations should be higher than that as it includes quite some stuff. Also she is not 46 feet but 45.2. And that brings her to something very very close to a ... L440 ! Except the L440 has more sail area. I am not impressed.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 14:47   #13

Quote: "What's the designed payload?"

Such a simple question and yet to get an answer from most manufacturers spec sheet is neigh on impossible.

Th only real way to know is get on board and look at the CE compliance Plate with the Design Category load for A,B,C or D. If it has one.

As to "the spec says 11400 kg "unloaded weigth". Of course no one knows what that means but a "light displacement" per CE regulations should be higher than that as it includes quite some stuff."

The following copied from a Manufacturers website. According the ISO 12217 and ISO 866 , the light displacement refers to:

All structural elements

All the comfort equipment included in the standard version of the boat (as mattresses, cushions, cockpit table)

The heaviest engines available,

Standard batteries,

Electronics,

Standard deck equipment (ladder, winches, anchors chain and anchor, mast, boom, standard sails, sheets, halyards…).

According to ISO 14946, the max loaded displacement refers to the light displacement with in addition:

The maximum number of persons that the boat can accept (75 kg each),

All the extra equipment,

The basic personal equipment,

Provisioning,

All tanks full (fuel, water and grey tanks),

Liferaft.

Now, when you read the specifications of a boat on a brochure you should ask yourself the following simple questions.

What type of displacement is the boat builder talking about?

Just not that easy to get a simple accurate answer to what should be a basically simple question...

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 17:00   #14

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote: "What's the designed payload?"

Such a simple question and yet to get an answer from most manufacturers spec sheet is neigh on impossible.

Th only real way to know is get on board and look at the CE compliance Plate with the Design Category load for A,B,C or D. If it has one.

As to "the spec says 11400 kg "unloaded weigth". Of course no one knows what that means but a "light displacement" per CE regulations should be higher than that as it includes quite some stuff."

The following copied from a Manufacturers website. According the ISO 12217 and ISO 866 , the light displacement refers to:

All structural elements

All the comfort equipment included in the standard version of the boat (as mattresses, cushions, cockpit table)

The heaviest engines available,

Standard batteries,

Electronics,

Standard deck equipment (ladder, winches, anchors chain and anchor, mast, boom, standard sails, sheets, halyards…).

According to ISO 14946, the max loaded displacement refers to the light displacement with in addition:

The maximum number of persons that the boat can accept (75 kg each),

All the extra equipment,

The basic personal equipment,

Provisioning,

All tanks full (fuel, water and grey tanks),

Liferaft.

Now, when you read the specifications of a boat on a brochure you should ask yourself the following simple questions.

What type of displacement is the boat builder talking about?

Just not that easy to get a simple accurate answer to what should be a basically simple question...
Yep that's exactly why I asked. Usually if it's not that great it's well hidden and there isn't a mention of anything other than unladen weight on the website.

Not that there's anything wrong with a lower payload as that's the the trade off for performance as we all know but if you know what you need it sure would be nice to read it off a spec sheet.

The marketing material always always tries to pretend their boat can do it all and that kind of disengeuous approach really puts me off.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 17:05   #15

heya Rom, good point - L440 is 10 tonnes ... and a really nice boat and the grandfather of hard bimini and flybridge ... except it is out of production. L450 is 16 tonnes ... and L440 is not as spacious as the Bav 46 fly. And it doesn't have the quite seriously awesome flybridge ... or the in mast furler. But thanks for thinking, interesting stuff, and as you are admitting - there isn't much out there in terms of current production cats like it.

Tags
bavaria