Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 11:36   #46

Re: Is a 44 Bavaria suitable for sailing in rough seas?

BAVARIA 44 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
n13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:39   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
@n13L5:

Vorstag = Forestay

So it seems he basically converted the BAV to be cutter rigged.

Regards,

Carsten
Thanks for the translation

If I didn't misunderstand, he uses the Forestay only in a gale.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:58   #48

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post
Thanks for the translation

If I didn't misunderstand, he uses the Forestay only in a gale.
Probably a removable one for the storm sail. It is the easiest way with a mass market boat. To have solid attachments to have a true cutter rig is complicated if the boat was not been prepared for that.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:15   #49

Pictures of the boat I was actually looking at:

Old 10-10-2016, 12:22   #50
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is a 44 Bavaria suitable for sailing in rough seas?

Get a good surveyor of your own and see what he comes back with.. I believe there's a couple of good ones out there.. assuming she's still in the Turkey/Greece area

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:40   #51

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

No doubt can be a good candidate, but and I don't want to be the black pea in this thread , check everything really well like Boatie say, structural and all.
This one fail like that in the picture in regular tradewinds , no storm involved or collision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SXMHeiniken-bulkheaddamage2.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	132659  
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:15   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
No doubt can be a good candidate, but and I don't want to be the black pea in this thread , check everything really well like Boatie say, structural and all.
This one fail like that in the picture in regular tradewinds , no storm involved or collision.
Looks like a rigging failure where it was attached to the hull. How is done?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:28   #53

Quote:
That looks bad. I was wondering what that metal rod was doing there in the undamaged kitchen picture.

It seems like something that should never happen on any boat unless you go full sail into a gale?

I suppose that Greek Atlantic 48 I looked at before couldn't do any worse
Old 10-10-2016, 16:43   #54

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

The whole bulkhead tabbing failed and pulled off the hull. Wonder if they lost the rig as a result.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:32   #55

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
No doubt can be a good candidate, but and I don't want to be the black pea in this thread , check everything really well like Boatie say, structural and all. This one fail like that in the picture in regular trade winds , no storm involved or collision.
Could it be the mast top shroud puling too hard on the chain plate, itself secured to a "counter-mould" badly glued to the hull ??? Was it during the Heineken regatta in SXM (Sint Maarten) ???
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:54   #56

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Hi Neil, can you give more information, or a link to what took place. Name of boat, where, when etc.
Cheers Dale.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:54   #57

AquaGeo, my point is: I would not care to be at sea in a boat that was a couple of barrels of resin on Monday morning, and a completed boat being loaded onto a flatcar on Saturday afternoon, built to a production schedule and signed off by a QC guy who is also on a schedule.I don't know if Bavaria employees come to work hungover, (perhaps you know more about that) but I prefer to sail a boat that was built carefully by craftsmen. But hey, Bavarians are cheaper.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 19:11   #58

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
AquaGeo, my point is: I would not care to be at sea in a boat that was a couple of barrels of resin on Monday morning, and a completed boat being loaded onto a flatcar on Saturday afternoon, built to a production schedule and signed off by a QC guy who is also on a schedule.I don't know if Bavaria employees come to work hungover, (perhaps you know more about that) but I prefer to sail a boat that was built carefully by craftsmen. But hey, Bavarians are cheaper.
So you know that Barvarias and the like are completed start to finish in 5 days and the resins used havent cured by the time they hit the water? I dont know what the production time is, you have researched this, or been to the factory?

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 19:39   #59

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

ok, so I haven't been on in awhile, because every time i give my professional opinion, and yes I'm a shipwright and that includes every aspect of marine carpentry, fiberglass , paint, structural bulkheads, teak deck, you name it. I just worked on one of these Bavarias this season. They use a swivel rudder ball assembly for the spade rudder. They lock up ans seize up between the aluminum and the plastic swivel ball. While replacing one of these and re assembly the quadrants steering linkage, the sun came out, and I could almost see through the fiberglass around the base of the rudder shaft. I couldn't believe it, especially on the load side of a spade rudder where there are heavy hydro forces on the leading edge. I immediately told the owner and proceeded to add multiple layers of alternating two ounce mat and bi weave. I can't imagine this was a one time lay up screw up. They call them the chevys of sailboats, according to the owner not me, because they are fairly priced, and yes I thought the interior was well put together for the price point, but they definitely offset the cost of the interior in the structural aspect of the hull. maybe some owners got lucky, but if the glass was that thin at a known load bearing point, I can only imagine how thin the glass is in other places. I imagine if I has sanded the bottom paint off the sun would light up the whole bottom. So there is some fact to back up a point of view. I'm sure I'll get attacked as usual by some know it all, or questioned about my professionalism, that's why I don't post much anymore, but trust me, I am very professional and take pride in my work.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 19:56   #60

AquaGeo, I read their gleeful boat advertisements and new boat "reviews" back when the Bavaria brand was wa first launched. The ones that gushed about how fast a Bavaria was built and how that speed saved the customer money. Then, after the keels started falling off of Bavarias and the company responded by putting bigger washers on the keel bolts, they backed off on expounding on how fast the boats were built and concentrated on how precise the robots put them together. Read the older sailing magazines, you'll see. If you feel good about sailing a Bavaria, then go for it. I just prefer more traditionally built boats.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, sail, sailing