Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 13:16   #1

ASA Instructor in S. Florida Recommendation

Hi All,

Looking to start my journey and after reading a few previous threads it seems ASA is a great way to start things off.

I know the instructor can make or break a class so who do you think is a fun and competent instructor? Not looking for a drill sergeant at this level.

If it makes any difference I'm thinking of doing a multi-day live-aboard in the Keys (where I perceive the area as a little more vacation-eseque.)

Thanks!
Maxpcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 16:19   #2

Re: ASA Instructor in S. Florida Recommendation

Try contacting Snore on this Forum. He's an ASA teacher...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:33   #3

Thanks Littlewing, I contacted Snore, but he is busy for the next few months.

Any other recommendations?
Maxpcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 02:58   #4

Sorry, Max,

There are a myriad of other Delivery-Captains-who-also-teach on this Forum, but they are either based elsewhere (Chesapeake) or I don't know them enough to recommend them to you.

You might try your local Chapman School of Sailing base.

Good luck,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:24   #5

I took my ASA bareboat skipper class a week ago in Fort Lauderdale with "Blue Water Sailing School". The class included ASA 101, 103 and 104, there was quite a bit of prep required before showing up, but it was so the student gets the most out of the time on the water. The class met on Saturday afternoon, got undeway Sunday morning, and returned to the dock on Thursday afternoon. The instructor was very knowledgeable, I got a lot out of the class (first time really sailing for me).

The class was basically a week on the water, starting out easy and getting more challenging with boat handling skills as the time progressed. Getting in and out of Fort Lauderdale is easy, a lot easier than the Keys (no rental needed). I would recommend the school and the instructor, there was a catamaran class running concurrently and we saw them at the dock on the last day, they all looked like they had a good time as well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think you can go wrong with any of their instructors.

As far as a vacation, class is class, you've got to stay focused and be ready to learn. If you want a few days on the front end or after class to hang out, the keys might be either where you want to be, or where you can visit afterwards.

Have fun with it!

Mark
mfascuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, florida, men