Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2020, 09:04   #1

New power catamaran / BVI chartering / intro

Hi all - new to the forum, excited to join this amazing community. Apologies for long message, I want to be specific, so hopefully people can be helpful. I know there are lots of informative threads already, so will definitely make use of that info as well.
Intro: I’m in the market to buy a power catamaran over the next 12 months (whenever the opportunity presents itself). We are experienced power boaters, having had Sportfishing boats over the last 20 years, currently a 35ft center console with triple 300 HP outboards. But we want to change lifestyle more towards cruising, and living in Fort Lauderdale (Florida) we feel that is a great hub for us to explore US East Coast, Bahamas, the Virgin Islands, etc. Plenty to do. We are approaching 50 in age, and don’t aspire to learn sailing / crossing oceans, so we are settling on power catamaran. Specs we are looking for:

- LOA between 44 and 47 feet
- accommodate couple and two teenage kids
- budget of $500k to $1M (if $1M, all upgrades need to be included).

We like the new Fountain Pajot MY44 a lot, but the new one is well above our budget ($1.3M) and I haven’t seen any used owner version on the market yet. We like the boat’s layout, fly bridge, well appointed and modern, and seems to have decent range. Also has the joystick stewing which I’ve come to appreciate on my current boat.

So with that (hopefully helpful) information, here are a few bullet pointed questions:

1. Is Fountaine Pajot MY44 a great choice knowing our usage above, and should we maybe wait another year to have a few used boats on market.

2. Are there any other comparables you would suggest taken the $500k-$1M budget. We do not want to buy new, as boats devalue too fast in its first six months (we bought current boat new and really regret the depreciation curve!)

3. We are thinking about chartering a comparable power catamaran in BVI in July, to gain more knowledge around essentials, but there are so many charter companies for BVI, it is overwhelming. Assuming BVI will be open in July, any recommendation on BVI charter companies with power catamarans in above specs / reliable boats / not too old boats? Wish there was a company chartering a FP 44 in BVI! :-)

These are my three main questions. Thank you everyone, super exited to embark on cruising lifestyle. Having been a boater for 20 years now, I’m not one of those “dream big but never happens” kinda guy. Boating is in my blood!

Thanks again!
Joweyenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 09:36   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: New power catamaran / BVI chartering / intro

Hello Joweyenb,

Welcome to CF!

I don't have specific answers to your question but others will likely chime in soon. I think your idea of chartering before purchase is an excellent idea. Also, even though you don't want to buy new I'd try to get to a couple of the big boat shows this year, assuming they are not cancelled. The opportunity to look at several power cats in close succession will help you identify what features/configurations/etc. you like, and that will help you have a better informed selection process. If that doesn't fit your timeline try to make a boat shopping trip to an area with a good variety of power cats so you can get onto several and form opinions about what you like and don't. Looking at stuff on the web is not the same as having your feet on the deck.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 19:41   #3

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

If you were looking for long range (crossing Atlantic?), I have a study on some powercat options. The TLDR is that are only three production cats that can say that, multiple one-off's, and if you're happy to add tankage for the journey then there are 14+ more options .

I also did a little look, focused on our boat, on research relating to (power) cat capsize. TLDR = they won't capsize from non-breaking waves and can handle breaking waves upto (and possibly beyond) their BOA (overall beam).

Given where you are and what you've said you want to do, you may like to look at the PDQ 41. There aren't many built and there will be no more, but they are reportedly excellent boats for what you've said and most will likely be local to you. They won't have the latest and greatest like joystick steering though.

I feel that the new FP40/44 and the Leopard 44-53 range of powercats were built to the charter market foremost rather than liveaboard. Not too surprising since that's who is buying most of them! You'd do well to hit the Caribbean and charter a FP44 and Leopard51/47/43, perhaps even a new Leopard 53 if any have arrived. Combine that with a visit on a PDQ41, then you'll know whether to go a production boat or whether to look around for a used one-off.

An older boat that may be in the region is the Lagoon 43/44. Endeavour 48 depending on your needs. Great non-production boats are around like Domino, a Pachoud. I have no affiliation with any, but I look in the mailbox each day to see if I've been sent one to "test"
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 17:27   #4

That’s very helpful. Thanks. Any thoughts on the Aguila 44. If I understand well, Aguila is made in China, which makes me pause a little
Seems the used power catamaran is low on inventory lately. Not sure because of popularity / people holding on, or just people buying sailing cats at a ratio of 10/1 to power.
Joweyenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2020, 18:32   #5

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

There some commentary on the Aquila here on trawlerforum.

I fully admit that I've never seen one let alone been on one. I have read reviews and read owner's comments. For my particular needs, the main concerns I had were on extremely low bridgedeck clearance (seaworthiness) and the poor fuel consumption (our requirements).

There are people who own versions of most of the production boats, and some of the one-offs, on various discussion groups including here and trawlerforum.
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, catamaran, charter