Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2020, 11:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
South from Brazil

Looking for more information, blogs cruising guides etc. Relating to sailing south from Brazil in reasonably short say 150-200 mile hops to minimize the chances of being offshore in rough conditions. Destination Patagonia.

Cheers,
MoJo
Old 17-04-2020, 13:30   #2

Re: South from Brazil

Hi,
I assume that you already know or have sailed through Brazil.
Plan for this year or 2021?
The last port for bureaucracy and resupply i Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
From there you can navigate to La Paloma, in Uruguay, near 180 nm. A nice little port, with a quiet town nearby. There is drinking water, showers and Diesel only with jerry can and taxi in the town.
It does not have many services. If you need services you should go to Piríapolis, great port, large travelift, dry dock etc. Near 70 nm from La Paloma. Almost all services, large sails work must be done or brought to Buenos Aires. Sailing in Uruguay requires many formalities, see below.
From there you can go to Buenos Aires, a great city with a lot to see. Near 150 nm from Piriapolis. Two hours of sailing north is the nautical area.
Another possibility is to go from Uruguay to Mar Del Plata, the last major city for services and supplies before Ushuaia. If you go there, it is recommended to set sail from Mar Del Plata before the end of November.
I have written several navigation notes in Brazil and Argentina, they are in Spanish, but you can translate it with Google.
Any questions from Brazil, Uruguay or Argentina let me know.
See:
https://oceancruisingclub.org/newsit...ever-in-Brazil

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/...stUnreadPost=1

https://forum.oceancruisingclub.org/Topic4801.aspx

In contact.
Omar Wetdoc
Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 14:18   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Looking for more information, blogs cruising guides etc. Relating to sailing south from Brazil in reasonably short say 150-200 mile hops to minimize the chances of being offshore in rough conditions. Destination Patagonia.

Cheers,
MoJo
Good information by Wetdoc.
You did not say where in Brazil, and that will make a big difference. However, once you are in Santa Catarina, there is a long hop south to Rio Grande that has no shelter and a lee shore, so the weather window and planning at that stage is critical.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 16:43   #4

Hi SVTatia,
That is !
The leg between Florianopolis in SC and Rio Grande do Sul is THE leg.
And now the bridge from Floria to the continent is under recicle, then the sailboat can not pass under.
Omar, From Buenos Aires
Old 17-04-2020, 17:19   #5
Marine Service Provider

I was thinking of crossing Atlantic, probably next summer from US or Canadian maritimes. Possibly from maritimes this autumn if possible then go down to Canaries and over to Brazil stopping various spots as things play out. Obviously might postpone entirely to 2022 then it would be May to Azores.

Anyway, that last port mentioned is about 38 deg south. No good ports even with a shallow draft S of that?
Old 17-04-2020, 17:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

I mean wherever you normally land in Brazil when coming from Canaries? Probably in 2021.

Furthest south port is 38 deg south?
Old 17-04-2020, 18:18   #7

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

Argentina coast is difficult. We skipped and sailed direct to Falklands then Chile. There is no real easy way to get to Patagonia. Last feasible stop in Argentina is Puerto Deseado, and then it is 500 or so miles to TheBeagle Channel through Le Maire. Might be Better to plan on getting hammered than trying to manage 1-2 day hops.
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 18:56   #8

Hi Boatguy30
Your cuestion was about Brazil to south, for that I started from the last port.
Usually the boats from the north arrive at Salvador or Recife.
Omar
Old 17-04-2020, 21:06   #9

Quote:
I was thinking of crossing Atlantic, probably next summer from US or Canadian maritimes. Possibly from maritimes this autumn if possible then go down to Canaries and over to Brazil stopping various spots as things play out. Obviously might postpone entirely to 2022 then it would be May to Azores.

Anyway, that last port mentioned is about 38 deg south. No good ports even with a shallow draft S of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdoc View Post
Hi Boatguy30
Your cuestion was about Brazil to south, for that I started from the last port.
Usually the boats from the north arrive at Salvador or Recife.
Omar
This would be my route...

I would go from the US or Canada to Azores, Canaries, Madeira, and Cape Verde. Then on to either Recife, Natal, Salvador or all of the above, depending on your "live life" intentions.
From there, let's say, the southernmost is Salvador, you need to plan according to the season and the winds, and if your intention is to get to Argentina as fast as possible, go well offshore and skip the other Brazilian ports. Otherwise, you coast-hop, avoiding the cold fronts (yes, they come from where you are going), and play the weather to your advantage to Santa Catarina and points south.
Depending on the time of the year, its easier going south than north, so if you change your mind half way thru you may be stuck somewhere for a few months (ask me how I know). But I could not pick a better place to be stuck at....
Keep on asking and good luck in the planning.
Old 17-04-2020, 21:10   #10

Quote:
...to minimize the chances of being offshore in rough conditions. Destination Patagonia.

Cheers,
MoJo
One more thing I forgot... it would pretty hard to avoid being caught offshore in rough conditions to go where you are intending - I mean the southern Atlantic. You need to be prepared.

Tags
Brazil