Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2020, 17:04   #1

Searching for 1st boat; Catalina, Columbia, San Juan, Santana, Ranger...??

I'm a new sailor. I've taken a couple of adult intro to dinghy sailing, completed 3 ASA sailing courses at my local sailing school and have raced as crew on keel boats (33-36') both buoy and distance races for about a year. In other words, I have limited experience.

I need a sailboat.

I'm looking for something in the 24-28' range that is easy to sail for a beginner around Puget Sound, San Juan Islands area and I plan on getting a slip because I don't want to trailer but I don't mind a swing keel although it seems like fixed keels are more stable. I like the idea of a stable boat, ie: bathtub so I don't kill myself and I'm scared of capsizing due to a sudden gust for example but I expect that as I learn and become a better skilled sailor, maybe I don't need it to be so stable that it compromises performance too much. Also, as this will be my first boat, a learning boat, my budget is probably going to be in the $5K or less. I'm willing to be patient until the right boat comes along, one that's in decent shape.

This is what I'm planning:
Easy boat to handle, single or double handed (I'm a very petite, light weight woman but don't underestimate size!!).
Fixed or swing keel.
Approx: 24-28'
A good balance of stability and performance but as a beginner would rather err on the side of stability.
Used for day and weekend sails.
Descent comfort level in cabin.
Sailing Puget Sound, San Juan Islands

It will mostly be myself and my son (12) who races dinghies. We plan to cruise and explore the local area.

Looking for anyone who's owned any of these that can share their experience and opinion. Open to other recommended makes that I don't know of yet.
Catalinas, Santanas, San Juans, Columbias, Rangers and whatever else.

Thank you!!
kissmekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 17:15   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Searching for 1st boat; Catalina, Columbia, San Juan, Santana, Ranger...??

Welcome aboard kissmekate,
Any of those you mention could be good choices depending on the models you are considering. Typically a good choice based on performance and resale ability is the ubiquitous Catalina 27. If you find one in good shape that could be a very good starter boat, but it's all about the engine! IMO the engine will make or break the boat. If you get a beautiful boat with an engine that needs replacement or rebuild, that is considerably worse than a cosmetically challenged boat with a new engine IMO. This is not to say that Catalina is the only or necessarily the best choice, it is just probably the safest one in terms of resale. Better to show us some boats you are considering and we can probably comment on the different pros and cons of each model and that will help you get a feel for the lay of the land. Rangers are, or were very fun boats, they have iron keels that may need to be checked. S2s are a possible very good choice, very sturdy boats, no keel bolts. Columbia has a few good models too, but I am biased.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 17:24   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Our first was a San Juan 7.7(the faster version of 26')so I am a little biased. But it was very forgiving, easy to sail, and quick in all winds. I couldn't ask for a better training boat.
Even when I did something stupid(pushed too hard) the boat would round up before it became dangerous and fix the problem[emoji16]
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 18:10   #4

You'll find lots of good boats for you and your son but I would look in the 22ft-26ft range. A 28ft boat for $5000 has a reason it's priced that low.

And does the $5000 include post sale spending. At this very low price point, look for a boat that's in close to perfect shape. Just replacing berth cushions because they have a permanent mildew smell can be $1000-$2000.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 21:14   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another one to consider would be a Moore 24, if you happen to run across one. Very competent boat.

Relative to mildew and cushions, I think, if you sew, you can buy foam from foam shops, and sew the covers for a lot less than $1,000. And, your son can help with the project. [My own grown son told me has has fond memories of the helping to make a backpacking tent we all built from a kit some years back.] Doing them yourself opens up a lot of choice fabric-wise. And being easy to sew, you can always choose a new fabric, or make slipcovers. If you'd rather not spend your time that way, then fine. It is only an option.

I agree with Don C L that having the engine in good shape does really matter, but boat engines are also something you can learn about when you get tired of trusting others to work on it for you. There are good manuals.

Ann
Old 11-04-2020, 03:31   #6

Wow +1 to.... everybody! (Don, Ann, Chrismac and CarlF). I'm with you all.

Kate, remember that you'll be building your *sailing* (not motoring) skills, so ultimately you'll want a boat that sails well, not a bathtub. Those sorts of boats are more annoying that you'd think - and it could potentially smoosh your motivation to go out for a sail.

If it helps quell those anxious moments, remember that the weight of an average keel is about equivalent to yer average Volkswagen. A cruising sailboat is NOT going to tip over. Get in the habit of [I]always walking up the high side of the boat - that way if you experience a gust of wind, you'll tumble onto your own deck and not overboard.

Remember the sailor's maxim: "One hand for you - and one for the boat."

You're in for a fun adventure!
Enjoy every minute.
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:56   #7

Boat: Pearson 424

There’s probably many boats out there that would be good for your purposes so you may get many different answers. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time sailing an O’Day 25, a good sailing, simple deck design with tiller steering. They come as fin keel(better sailing version) or a shoal draft centerboard version.
My father continued to sail his into his late 70’s and was able to out point my wing keel Catalina 30!
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:30   #8

Wow, you guys are great thank you for all the responses and good advice!! This website is invaluable... yet again, another reason I love sailing, sailors helping other sailors.

Here are two listings that came up recently. They are above the initial 5K budget and I've already surrendered to the fact that I'll be spending more than the expected post purchase (I built my house) to get it up to "standards"; one says it'll need a new stove, mast light (is that just a lightbulb or a wiring problem I wonder, the engine motor is failing (how much are outboards generally?) but I'm gravitating towards boats where owners have taken good care of them over the years even if not in tip top shape. I want to take over taking care of a loved boat.

I'm going to take my time and get the right boat but these are just ideas to help me get started (although I'm already )
What do you think?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...105997480.html

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...105879023.html
kissmekate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:31   #9

Boat: Catalina 375

I would second what someone else said about the Catalina 27 deep keel. If engine is toast you could always install a bracket and put an outboard. Or an electric motor but that is more costly. Another thought is if you can find a Tanzer ( 24, 7.5 or 8.5) . They were Canadian boats built in the 70s mostly. They are strong boats that will sail well. The Tanzer 22 is well known for club racing, probably a bit small if you want to travel a bit. You want to have fun so do not buy a bathtub.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:01   #10

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38

Maybe an early Catalina 25 fin keel with pop top. You can have an outboard on the back which helps with manuvering, a lot. The pop top is comfortable at anchor. At 25 ft, they are easy to handle yet allow for some comfort when overnighting or coastal cruising for a week or two, or more.
CNulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:02   #11

Boat: Seaward 25

I think I would start with the slip. They can be hard to find. See what is available then buy a boat that fits comfortably inside. Since you will be essentially single handing, I would find something with a furling headsail. As mentioned above, the Catalina 27 or even the 25 or Capri 26 would be good choices.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:05   #12

I spent a few years sailing on a friend's 1978 Hunter 27, and I would not overlook that boat either. I was really impressed with the handling and stability of that design (Cherubini design). I don't necessarily think that newer versions were as well built, but if you can find an older one of that era in decent shape, it's worth a look. I currently own a Catalina 36, and in my opinion you get a lot of boat for the money with Catalinas. Despite what some people say, I really believe that they are well built with good quality hardware and equipment. If they aren't maintained well by previous owners, any boat will have issues.
DLincoln3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:09   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmekate View Post
I'm a new sailor. I've taken a couple of adult intro to dinghy sailing, completed 3 ASA sailing courses at my local sailing school and have raced as crew on keel boats (33-36') both buoy and distance races for about a year. In other words, I have limited experience.

I need a sailboat.

I'm looking for something in the 24-28' range that is easy to sail for a beginner around Puget Sound, San Juan Islands area and I plan on getting a slip because I don't want to trailer but I don't mind a swing keel although it seems like fixed keels are more stable. I like the idea of a stable boat, ie: bathtub so I don't kill myself and I'm scared of capsizing due to a sudden gust for example but I expect that as I learn and become a better skilled sailor, maybe I don't need it to be so stable that it compromises performance too much. Also, as this will be my first boat, a learning boat, my budget is probably going to be in the $5K or less. I'm willing to be patient until the right boat comes along, one that's in decent shape.

This is what I'm planning:
Easy boat to handle, single or double handed (I'm a very petite, light weight woman but don't underestimate size!!).
Fixed or swing keel.
Approx: 24-28'
A good balance of stability and performance but as a beginner would rather err on the side of stability.
Used for day and weekend sails.
Descent comfort level in cabin.
Sailing Puget Sound, San Juan Islands

It will mostly be myself and my son (12) who races dinghies. We plan to cruise and explore the local area.

Looking for anyone who's owned any of these that can share their experience and opinion. Open to other recommended makes that I don't know of yet.
Catalinas, Santanas, San Juans, Columbias, Rangers and whatever else.

Thank you!!
I will have to strongly recommend the San Juan 28; I owned one for 11 years in Gig Harbor. She was designed for Northwest waters by Don Clark and will meet your needs quite well. I sailed her solo most of the time and voyaged to British Columbia many times, did a Vancouver Island circumnavigation, anchored more places than I can mention, even sailed her to Alaska and shot the rapids at Dent and Yaculta at high tide (which I don't recommend)...she can do all these things and do them well...you could say she and I had an eleven year love affair.

Google "San Juan 28 Review" done by Practical Sailor magazine for more details and you can contact me about the boat anytime.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:24   #14

Boat: Camano 41

Kissmekate, unless this is also your last boat, get one that you like and will be proud of. Rarely does one start sailing and get the inevitable 'if I just had 2 more feet. I love the Catalina 27, for room, ability and resale. I believe some came with outboards, and it is often said, 'never had a fire in an outboard'. Many vessels n the range you are asking about will suit your needs. If it is moored, you don't need to worry about keels. Have fun, make memories, they can never be taken away.
Greg Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:34   #15

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Somewhat biased, but my recommendation would be a Catalina 25.

Thousands were built, parts are readily available, resell value is good for a well kept boat, they are trailerable if needed. Outboard motors on most models are easy to replace. Easy to spend the weekend on, or even longer.

The best models were produced from 1987 to 1991. The 1989 wing keel version is considered the cream of the crop.

Parts are available here:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/

Active International Association here:
Association Forum
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat, catalina, columbia, ranger, san juan