Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2020, 13:32   #1

Coastal Belize multihull choice

I am recently a snowbird to N. Belize on Chetumal Bay and have started looking at used multihulls 28-36 ft to either sail down from Fla or perhaps pick up locally in Mex, Guat., or Columbia. Experienced sailor. Need shallow draft, single handed capability. Will mostly use in Northern Belize/Cayes but wouldn't mind at least 1 Caribbean sail tour so would need that capability as well. Trying to stay under $35,000 US.
Would appreciate advice on makes/models, age, composition, fixer uppers to run from and suitable boat type for the shallow caye waters.
poky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 15:17   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Coastal Belize multihull choice

Lots of skinny water in Chetumal Bay/N Belize so shoal draft for sure, but finding a decent multi under $35K is going to be a challenge.

Rio Dulce, Guatemala is a good place to look for boat bargains. Try Seakist, they may have some suggestions in addition to their listings. Also, marinas in the Rio sometimes have boats they need to get rid of.

https://www.yachtworld.com/seakistya...htsales_0.html

SeaKist does have a Prout 37 for $55K.

Where are you located in Chetumal Bay?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 15:39   #3

In Consejo, (Mayan Seaside) a few miles below Chetumal. Have waterfront access with pier.
Old 25-02-2020, 15:44   #4

Cool. Its on my todo list to do some more exploring around Chetumal Bay.
Old 25-02-2020, 15:57   #5

In Consejo, (Mayan Seaside) a few miles below Chetumal. Have waterfront access with pier.
Old 25-02-2020, 16:52   #6
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Wharram
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 17:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Wharram
A good option, Ive sailed Wharrams in Belize. Not the best upwind/tacking performance, but I like his designs and like sailing them.

Another cool option is go down to Sarteneja, Belize and have a traditional Belizean sloop built. Ive seen a few outfitted for cruising in Belize.
Old 26-02-2020, 07:21   #8

If you like simple and light, might be a job for Cat2fold. I think it’s still for sale.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 10:10   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
A good option, Ive sailed Wharrams in Belize. Not the best upwind/tacking performance, but I like his designs and like sailing them.

Another cool option is go down to Sarteneja, Belize and have a traditional Belizean sloop built. Ive seen a few outfitted for cruising in Belize.

A good option. They build some sweet little shoal draft wood boats there. You will have to fit it out yourself if you want it fancy, these are mostly fishing boats with very primitive accomodations, as in practically none. They aren't so hot to windward but better than you might expect when well sailed. Perfect for inshore of the barrier reef. Not much headroom below, generally. Go for a sail on one of the boats doing day sails from Caye Caulker or San Pedro and you will get a good idea of what you can expect.

I would have suggested a Morgan OI 28, at 3'6" draft which is still rather limiting but is practical for sailing to/from FL, and there are quite a few of these boats that have been rode hard and put up wet in the charter industry, being sold pretty cheap. Figure on new wires and sails, and a repower if it is still sporting the old A-4. You could be in the game for around $20k with a fairly tough boat, but it might not be shoal enough for you. The same size boat locally built will draw less than 3'.
Old 27-02-2020, 11:33   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Corsair
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 15:58   #11

thanks for all the suggestions. I am a bit leary of a wood boat down here with all the hungry termites nearby, much as I love to build and repair them.

Would a 24 ft Corsair work if I were able to master the inside reef channels beforehand?
Old 27-02-2020, 17:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by poky View Post
thanks for all the suggestions. I am a bit leary of a wood boat down here with all the hungry termites nearby, much as I love to build and repair them.

Would a 24 ft Corsair work if I were able to master the inside reef channels beforehand?
A Corsair 24 would work, but its as much like camping, maybe worse, than the traditional fishing boats. It is a lot faster though!

Board all the way down may be a bit deep for Chetumal. Ive never sailed one with board partially up, but should work OK.

Tags
Belize, hull, multihull