Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2020, 07:43   #1

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser
East coast small boat sailor looking for cruising experience

Are you a capable captain sailing a safe boat back to New England in the Spring?

I’m a lifelong, casual, small boat sailor based near New Haven, CT looking to gain additional “bigger boat” experience - a week or two relocation would be perfect. (As would sailing this summer!) Add me to your reach out when planning list?

I’ve been catching rides these past few seasons on 30’-40’ cruisers out of Apponaug, RI and Milford, CT. Also did a leg (taking 8-12 and 8-12 watches) on a 48’ ketch from Newport to Annapolis and then a Bahamas week on 60’ cat with 20 Boy Scouts!

No compelling sailing, mechanical or medical credentials but a nice guy, who thinks clearly, listens well and enjoys company of friendly folk.

I'll cover my transportation costs, costs ashore and we can talk about shared expenses.

I'm educated, well traveled, 59 yr old extrovert looking for capable, even-keeled Captain with a ship-shape sail boat. Drop me a note if a potential match. Thanks!
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 18:23   #2

Re: East coast small boat sailor looking for cruising experience

Hello

Interesting write up you have. Later this year, May or possibly this late fall, I'll be looking for someone to assist me sailing from Trinidad up to Grenada and then through the islands of the Caribbean in many short trips to eventually get to Florida and possibly up the ICW to New York. Hoping to enjoy the islands along the way and take my time.

My situation is that I acquired my sailboat here in Trinidad 3 years ago. I've had extensive work done on her and still completing projects however finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel to get her seaworthy. Many new items on the boat and repairs, overhauled engine etc. so she should be pretty ship shape later this year. I currently live aboard her on the hard over sighting projects here in the marina. I plan to have a delivery Captain for the first part of my journey, mainly because my confidence and experience level is in the learning phase on this boat. Although I've sailed mostly all my life, this is the largest boat I've ever owned (a dream to acquire), and my sailing experience is mainly on large lakes. I used to have a partner in the beginning of this venture but now seeing this through alone needing assistance.

My sailboat is a 1985 45 ft Gulfstar Hirsch, S/V Fleetwing. She was designed for the cruising charter business years ago. She's a pretty comfortable boat and has nice features about her. Two staterooms, two heads, offering privacy with open galley and big salon area. Restoration of her has been more than expected however I'm committed with TLC to seeing this boat be back to the beauty she is supposed to be. It's what we do for the love of sailing.

Curious to see if there might be some possibility of your interests and this situation of mine. Perhaps talk further. I've just started looking into possibilities of persons to assist. Planning ahead.

About myself, I'm a retired professional in the medical field from upstate New York. I'm friendly and get along easily with folks with a sense of community. I'm a family gal with four grandchildren who reside in New York. I have actually considered bringing S/V Fleetwing to Lake Ontario or Lake Champlain to be closer to them. Just the cold weather has me pondering that thought but summers are beautiful. I dream of my grand kids being on board Fleetwing with me.

Life is an adventure.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Lyn
S/V Fleetwing
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 16:09   #3

Location: Farmington, CT (near Hartford and 1 hour to LI Sound)
Boat: Holder 12 and looking 24-32' cruiser
Re: East coast small boat sailor looking for cruising experience

Happy to say I've received a few interesting replies. Hopeful the one for June will come to fruition.

That said, since nothing is certain, still interested in opportunities, perhaps in May?
Thank you!
Rblakenyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, east coast, enc, sail, small boat