Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2019, 20:01   #1

Boat: Pearson 28-2
Bahamas v. Belize v. La Paz

I am hoping to get some advice on where to go on my next bareboat sailing charter. The crew will consist of my wife and me and our two kids (aged 7 and 11). We have chartered in the BVIs, St. Martin and the Spanish Virgins. Of all of these, we like the Spanish Virgins the best, but have done that a few times so are considering a change. We will most likely go in mid February or mid-April.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Bahamas (Abacos or Exumas), Belize or La Paz (Gulf of California). We live in New York and for a variety of reasons don’t want to go too far from home on this trip.

Here’s what we are looking for (more or less in order of importance):

(1) Safety and security, i.e., relatively low crime risk

(2) uncrowded, “off the beaten path” anchorages and beaches, with a focus on nature more than good bars and restaurants (although we certainly have nothing against the occasional good bar or restaurant)

(3) Very good snorkeling

(4) Generally warm, Caribbean-like temperatures (or close to it), with low risk of major storms and total washout days

(5) Generally low-key, kid friendly atmosphere

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
MattL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 20:08   #2

Re: Bahamas v. Belize v. La Paz

Know nothing about the Caribbean, but I would not go to La Paz that time of year. Too cold.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 20:35   #3

Boat: Passport 41

1) Not Belize
2) Belize / Rio Dulce.
3) Its good wherever
4) Not La Paz
5) Any of the above

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattL View Post
I am hoping to get some advice on where to go on my next bareboat sailing charter. The crew will consist of my wife and me and our two kids (aged 7 and 11). We have chartered in the BVIs, St. Martin and the Spanish Virgins. Of all of these, we like the Spanish Virgins the best, but have done that a few times so are considering a change. We will most likely go in mid February or mid-April.

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Bahamas (Abacos or Exumas), Belize or La Paz (Gulf of California). We live in New York and for a variety of reasons don’t want to go too far from home on this trip.

Here’s what we are looking for (more or less in order of importance):

(1) Safety and security, i.e., relatively low crime risk

(2) uncrowded, “off the beaten path” anchorages and beaches, with a focus on nature more than good bars and restaurants (although we certainly have nothing against the occasional good bar or restaurant)

(3) Very good snorkeling

(4) Generally warm, Caribbean-like temperatures (or close to it), with low risk of major storms and total washout days

(5) Generally low-key, kid friendly atmosphere

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 21:07   #4

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

I love La Paz but agree it will be too cold for the kids to go snorkeling.

Of your choices I would take Belize. We cruised from Placencia to San Pedro with another family and 4 teens total. The kids had a blast as well as the adults. This was about 10 years ago.

Lots of good places in the Bahamas, I just enjoyed Belize more.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 21:10   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Be aware that after Hurricane Dorian you cant rely on any of the charts. It is likely that the hurricane rearranged the bottom contours in the Sea of Abaco and elsewhere. Yes, Explorer charts are the gold standard but the area will have to be re-surveyed before you can really trust the charts.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 21:12   #6

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Apart from that, the Abacos were totally destroyed in many parts (including nearly all of Marsh Harbour, which looked like a nuclear bomb hit it. Friends in Hopetown say they are rebuilding but it is still a long way from normal.

But islands further south werent hit badly at all. So that is an option.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2019, 21:51   #7
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Definitely the Exumas
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:53   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420 42 feet

never been to belize but have sailed the exumas a couple of times. the exumas are spectacular and have all of the things you have asked for. the further south you go in that island chain the better off you will be that time of year
johnnyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:17   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
Be aware that after Hurricane Dorian you cant rely on any of the charts. It is likely that the hurricane rearranged the bottom contours in the Sea of Abaco and elsewhere. Yes, Explorer charts are the gold standard but the area will have to be re-surveyed before you can really trust the charts.
I wouldn't worry about that for a while. It's going to take a couple of years before Abaco is ready to support charter boat sailing again, I'm betting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Definitely the Exumas
Yep! Our favorite!
Old 14-10-2019, 09:23   #10

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Never been to the Bahamas but I agree, if you are contemplating the Baja in winter, it's much too cold. If your charter company will allow you to go out there I would heartedly recommend the atoll reefs off Belize. We spent six weeks at Lighthouse Reef and it is spectacular! By far the best diving and snorkeling in the Americas.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:40   #11

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Of the places you mentioned, I think that the Exumas are the easiest to get to, the safest, and have the prettiest scenery and water. Charter out of George Town or Nassau, then get to the Land and Sea Park (Warderick Wells). You'll love it and your kids will, too.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:46   #12

Boat: Hanse 505 50'

The sea of Cortez may be too cold for this trip, but I strongly recommend you make it there sometime in the future. It ticks all your boxes and then some, if you just choose a different part of the year. Our last charter there was completely spectacular, our kids had a great time, amazing wildlife, and we had most anchorages entirely to ourselves. You must provision for the entire trip before you leave La Paz, there really are not any towns or resupply opportunities to speak of.
ohthetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 11:54   #13

Boat: Morgan 37 OI MkII

I would agree with those above that said La Paz would be way too cold for you. February is the coldest month in the Sea of Cortez and April is just barely warming up. Water is pretty cold for snorkeling November to June and visibility may be very limited. Lots of high wind days with Northers blowing November to April.
iseadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 12:52   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

As posted, both the Exumas and Belize can be awesome, but both get cold fronts that time of year. It doesnt get that cold, but the weather can get nasty during a frontal passage.

That said Winter months are peak charter season because thats when folks further N want to escape winter...and winter is way better in either area. But, spring months are the best weather.

Niether place gets crowded w charter boats as do places like the BVI.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 16:35   #15
Marine Service Provider

I like Belize very much. The charter bases are a remote airplane ride form Belize City but it's worth it.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Belize, la paz