Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 23:46   #31

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Bavaria Yachts....yay or nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Can you explain what "GFC" means?
I think this is an Aussie term for the last recession (great financial crisis). i.e. 2008/09
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 23:54   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I think this is an Aussie term for the last recession (great financial crisis). i.e. 2008/09
Global Financial Crisis....

or Geelong Football Club

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 23:56   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Can you explain what "GFC" means?
I believe “global financial crisis.”
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 00:01   #34

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Global Financial Crisis....

or Geelong Football Club
Well I was close. It's 1am here.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 00:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Well I was close. It's 1am here.
Cool now get some sleep

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:26   #36

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

Just two points
Quote:
Originally Posted by bck73 View Post
I've owned a Bavaria 34CR for 10 years now great cursing yacht - Mike
I thought occasionally that all of them were cursing yachts, even the ones you aren't in at the time!

My main point is whatever you do get an in depth survey including withdrawing the keel bolts. I have a friend who had a Bavaria and his bolts looked perfect until they withdrew them and he was lucky it was still attached. Stainless doesn't mean that its just stain-less.

The idea to do a few deliveries is a good idea. I did my Yachtmaster on a Beneteau and it was lovely but I wouldn't buy one, I couldn't get used to the juddering at speed and the lack of "wedge" area.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 06:32   #37

Boat: Deerberg Beryll, Hartley 39

I don't know how they handle heavy seas, but i chartered a 44 some years ago and they are very pleasant and confortable. Regarding the layout, it is very ergonomically designed, with coastal/island hopping/charter in mind (small forpeak/lazarette, few storage space). And one important aspect is that their resale value is high and they sell quickly, so if you plan to sell it after one year and you survive crossing the ocean, it is a big plus. Have you considered buying one in the Med? Or renting one for one year?
calin1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2018, 07:00   #38

Boat: Vagabond 47

I came across a couple with 2 kids that had sailed their Bavaria (about 43') from Italy to Fiji via the classic route, Atlantic and Pacific Trade winds that is. The boat was ex charter and must have been well used as they paid 70K Euro for it and didn't spend any money for repair or upgrade. They were quite happy with it, had no drama and were hoping to make some money on it in Australia.
ketch05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 14:10   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair 2 View Post
I love my 2008 Bavaria 40. It is very seaworthy and handles a rough weather gale fairly well as seen in this video: My only regret is that it does not have an inner forestay -- which if you are going to do serious cruising, is really a must have. I am having one installed on mine. One final point: almost 90% of my sailing is done solo. It is a great boat for that. You can stay safely in the cockpit and put in and shake out reefs, as well as adjust the fairleads. In addition, once you use the German mainsheet system (can ease or sheet-in from either side), you will never go back to the standard sheeting system. To try it is to love it.
That's a great series of videos! I've been looking for some vids on YouTube that discussed the merits/demerits of Bavaria yachts - not just the advertising ones showing yachts for sale which are all glowing reviews. I've just put down a deposit on a 2005 Bavaria 37 (3 cabin) and these vids give me a lot of confidence that the boat will be a good all-rounder for what I want to do - coastal cruising around NZ. Clearly a trip to the Azores is way harder than the sailing I'm planning on.

Incidentally, I see you're based in La Rochelle and in one of the vids you mention Les Sables d'Olonne. We spent several years holidaying around The Vendee region (St Gilles de Croix de Vie, Bretignolle, La Tranche Sur Mer)and it was where I got my first taste for the classic styling of the Jeanneaus and Beneteaus (very like the Bavarias) that seemed to be everywhere. Happy memories!! You're a lucky man to live in such a lovely part of France.
Deryck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 02:54   #40

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair 2 View Post
I love my 2008 Bavaria 40. It is very seaworthy and handles a rough weather gale fairly well as seen in this video: My only regret is that it does not have an inner forestay -- which if you are going to do serious cruising, is really a must have. I am having one installed on mine. One final point: almost 90% of my sailing is done solo. It is a great boat for that. You can stay safely in the cockpit and put in and shake out reefs, as well as adjust the fairleads. In addition, once you use the German mainsheet system (can ease or sheet-in from either side), you will never go back to the standard sheeting system. To try it is to love it.
I would love to see how that inner forestay gets set up on your boat. Can you start a thread with pictures and explanation as I would like look at setting up the same on my Bav 38. Thanks.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 03:47   #41

Boat: Bavaria 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deryck View Post
That's a great series of videos! I've been looking for some vids on YouTube that discussed the merits/demerits of Bavaria yachts - not just the advertising ones showing yachts for sale which are all glowing reviews. I've just put down a deposit on a 2005 Bavaria 37 (3 cabin) and these vids give me a lot of confidence that the boat will be a good all-rounder for what I want to do - coastal cruising around NZ. Clearly a trip to the Azores is way harder than the sailing I'm planning on.

Incidentally, I see you're based in La Rochelle and in one of the vids you mention Les Sables d'Olonne. We spent several years holidaying around The Vendee region (St Gilles de Croix de Vie, Bretignolle, La Tranche Sur Mer)and it was where I got my first taste for the classic styling of the Jeanneaus and Beneteaus (very like the Bavarias) that seemed to be everywhere. Happy memories!! You're a lucky man to live in such a lovely part of France.
Sincere congrats on the Bavaria purchase Deryck. Obviously, a great deal will depend on how well it was maintained, but all other things being equal, I'm sure you will have a great time on your boat, as I have. And thanks for the nod about the Atlantic coast of France. I am indeed fortunate to live here and explore this region. Great fun. Fair winds to you.
Corsair 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, yacht