Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 09:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau 463
Cockpit heater

We are quarantined on board. Family of four. With two adults and two kids all working/schooling online, we need space. The cockpit is available and during the summer we have used it a lot if we are in multiple meetings at the same time. Thinking about winter. We have a hydronic Webasto heating system for the cabin and if we enclose the whole cockpit, heat works it way up there. But its not toasty. What are thoughts about using a portable propane heater up there. I don't like that. I could use 110v and a space heater too. Not sure about the safest way to do this. I don't think we would ever run the heater if we are not up there But still. Adding propane seems like a bad idea. Any thoughts on options? Beneteau 463 1997 Pacific NW of the US.
prajna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 09:26   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Cockpit heater

If you've got enough total heating capacity to do this without making the rest of the boat chilly, why not point a fan up the companionway to push more heat into the cockpit enclosure?
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 09:27   #3

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Dock or at anchor?
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 09:46   #4

Boat: Pearson 367

Mr. Heater buddy is rated for indoor use. It will shut off if it's tipped over and it has an O2 sensor. I would get a propane adaptor so you don't have to use the coleman tanks.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 09:55   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

a flame in the cockpit with canvas and plastic sounds a bit risky. probably not a CO problem. an electric oil filled furnace is safe and won't burn you if you touch it. they make a small one for bathrooms that works well in my boat but it does take around 1000 watts.

Old 14-09-2020, 10:28   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Mr. Heater buddy is rated for indoor use. It will shut off if it's tipped over and it has an O2 sensor. I would get a propane adaptor so you don't have to use the coleman tanks.

Ugh, don't do that. :nono:

Mr. Heater Buddy may be rated for use indoors, but is NOT rated for use on a boat. The tiny tanks are hideously dangerous on boats in a saltwater environment; paper thin and easy to make leak. Combustion products in the air you breathe? No thank you.

I'm with the guy who suggested blowing warm air from below, up there. I'm not sure I like portable electric heaters in the cockpit, either, but it would beat the heck out of propane.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:35   #7

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Ugh, don't do that. :nono:

Mr. Heater Buddy may be rated for use indoors, but is NOT rated for use on a boat. The tiny tanks are hideously dangerous on boats in a saltwater environment; paper thin and easy to make leak. Combustion products in the air you breathe? No thank you.

I'm with the guy who suggested blowing warm air from below, up there. I'm not sure I like portable electric heaters in the cockpit, either, but it would beat the heck out of propane.
You don't have to use the tiny tanks. You can connect to a 10 or 20lb tank that is likely already in the cockpit in a locker. I'd say the biggest risk would be the kids. Stuff gets knocked over all the time. I agree that the safest option would be a fan to move more air in the cockpit.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 10:46   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
You don't have to use the tiny tanks. You can connect to a 10 or 20lb tank that is likely already in the cockpit in a locker. I'd say the biggest risk would be the kids. Stuff gets knocked over all the time. I agree that the safest option would be a fan to move more air in the cockpit.

I agree it's far better without the tiny hazardous tanks, but it's still a leak risk in a space where leaked gas would likely go down the companionway and into the bilge, and it's STILL an unvented combustion device spewing nasty combustion products and water vapour into the air you and your loved ones are breathing. To each his own, but for me -- never. I'd far sooner take another sweater, than this, in the worst case.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 11:03   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You're on a monohull, not a catamaran with an enclosed patio. Monohull cockpits are crowded with things like the binnacle in the way. That's not a good place for a heater - it's too likely to get kicked around. Consider generating more heat with a fixed heater in the hull. Think even electric heat with the genset running.
Old 14-09-2020, 11:11   #10

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I agree it's far better without the tiny hazardous tanks, but it's still a leak risk in a space where leaked gas would likely go down the companionway and into the bilge, and it's STILL an unvented combustion device spewing nasty combustion products and water vapour into the air you and your loved ones are breathing. To each his own, but for me -- never. I'd far sooner take another sweater, than this, in the worst case.
Absolutely true. If the construction-site heater doesn't kill you (via propane, CO, leaving a kerosene slick on a step surface, or setting fire to something that gets dropped down its bore) then your insurance agent will kill you when he finds out about it.

There are catalytic heaters, propane-fuelled but with no open flame, that might work for this without as big a safety risk. Their longevity in a saltwater environment seems... questionable.

I think your best bet, though, is what's been suggested earlier - just add some 12V fans to circulate warm air from the heated zones.
Old 14-09-2020, 11:52   #11

Boat: Beneteau 463

thank you for all your thoughts. It confirms my thinking that this is a bad idea. I will proceed as cautioned. Thank you.

todd
prajna101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 15:43   #12

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Can you modify the hydronic heating to add a loop into the cockpit?

Also easy to remove once lockdown is over.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cockpit, heater