Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 08:52   #1

Boat: Hanse 430e
My new idea for a deck/cockpit camera, anybody do this yet

So I am in the process of replacing my electronics setup on my Hanse 430e. Ordered all the important stuff plotter, vhf, and instruments. As I was thinking about the new layout for the panel at the chart desk I thought about what to do with the old CD radio that never gets used because I use other devices and bluetooth speakers. Went and looked at modern car radios and they all have usb or bluetooth built in, and they all have Back-Up Camera input and display. It hits me like a ton of bricks.

Can I mount a security camera in the cockpit or up the mast and wire it into the radio display? Has anyone done something similar? Would it be worth it. Note there is likely no way to record video this way but that would be great if someone figured that out.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:23   #2

Re: My new idea for a deck/cockpit camera, anybody do this yet

Why would you buy a big radio with a screen? Most radios are tiny now.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:46   #3

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

If you already have bluetooth speakers why would you concern yourself with a radio at all?

As you state...you already use other devices for entertainment.

I took out the old radio and speakers and went to iPhone, iPad and bluetooth speakers...and haven't regretted for a moment. The music videos on the iPad add even more entertainment at anchor.

http://www.questsofdiscovery.com/pos...k-up-the-tunes
Old 11-07-2020, 12:23   #4

The radio or Head Unit gives me the cockpit and saloon speakers that I already have, allows me to plug in a 32 gig usb of music, allows me to stream from my phone via BT, avoids having to recharge BT speakers and lets me view what the the camera sees.
Old 11-07-2020, 13:44   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Interesting ideA. If you can mount the radio where you can easily see the screen then sure. I’m skeptical that would work in the cockpit.
Old 11-07-2020, 14:43   #6
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Maybe someone can explain to me why so many are enthralled by wireless speakers and even wireless radar antennas. You have to run power (wires) to them anyway. Why add more complexity?

Could it be the hassle of having to tear apart all that interior woodwork? I may lack empathy here: I just painted the inside of my hull, there's no paneling at all: paint doesn't rot or grow mold behind it. I can access 90% of the interior hull in an emergency without resorting to using a hatchet. Granted, it looks more like a naval ship than a "yacht" with all the exposed wiring - but at least I can get at it - and if it starts to smolder, I can find the source.

Using one smartphone or tablet for everything strikes me as just creating a single-point-of-failure.

Sorry to be a contrarian, but I just don't understand the charm of some things that seem to me to be very impractical. But then, I suppose, fashion seldom is.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:33   #7

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
Maybe someone can explain to me why so many are enthralled by wireless speakers and even wireless radar antennas. You have to run power (wires) to them anyway. Why add more complexity?
My choice is POE, whenever practical.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:38   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have a FM receiver and speakers in the cockpit and find it very handy for the helmsman to tune and retune to local stations as one passes along a coastline. A lot of the local FM stations broadcast using minimal wattage.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:15   #9

Boat: Grainger Spoonbay 38ft Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
The radio or Head Unit gives me the cockpit and saloon speakers that I already have, allows me to plug in a 32 gig usb of music, allows me to stream from my phone via BT, avoids having to recharge BT speakers and lets me view what the the camera sees.
I purchased a 12v bluetooth amplifier here in Australia for about $120... it works great and it allows me to utilise the existing marine speakers and the content from bluetooth devices. Maybe check for one where you are...

https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-x-15wrms...ology/p/AA0522
Old 12-07-2020, 10:43   #10

Boat: Islander 36

Wouldn’t you need to never stop looking at it to be of value.

For a backup camera, productive. For a security camera, counterproductive.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:50   #11

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Why would you buy a big radio with a screen? Most radios are tiny now.
He is talking about a car radio with a screen. Not a bad option if you want to view the exterior of the boat from the interior. But more of a toy than a utility. How often do you need to look at a camera display instead of sticking your head out of the hatch? One issue is that the car stereo with screens take up a lot of real estate (large footprint) with the screen extended. I personally would prefer a home security system with cameras running on the PC and available via Internet for when you are not onboard.

For music, the blue tooth amplifier advocated by ghendoaus below https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-x-15wrms...ology/p/AA0522 means that you supply 12v to a place close to your speakers, plug them into it, and send the music over blue tooth from your device (phone, etc). It is 15 watts, (pretty low power), takes 3A @12vdc, and I'd say the music capabilities relative to a car stereo type unit are limited. If you have speakers in several locations you need several of these units sitting around. I do like the volume control however. If you are migrating from a set of little speakers hooked up to your phone or PC which you had in your office then I guess it is logical.

We have 10 speakers in three locations on our boat (forward cabin, main cabin, on-deck), some quite large. They are driven by a Pioneer car stereo and 300watt amp (which can be switched off). Each set of speakers can be controlled from the central location or using a remote. For sources we can send music to the Pioneer from the phone, from the computer via mini RCA AUX input, or use thumb drive or other flash memory chips directly on the Pioneer and we have the capability to play CD's but don't have many of these anymore. Our friends play their guitar through our system. The quality is very good, and we have equalizer control and other sound modeling controls such as balance. We can make it loud.

We have our music on the computer mostly, or get it streaming from from the Internet such as spotify or netflix. For music with low power demand from the ship's battery we have a lot of it on USB thumb drives which means only the Pioneer needs to be powered up.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:00   #12

Maybe I missing something here, but what would be the purpose of a security camera with a display say in the salon? Why would one desire to view topside? Surely you would know if someone is walking about on deck. A solution seeking a problem, perhaps.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Maybe I missing something here, but what would be the purpose of a security camera with a display say in the salon? Why would one desire to view topside? Surely you would know if someone is walking about on deck. A solution seeking a problem, perhaps.
So that when I hear something going on the deck I can see what is happening before unlocking and opening the companionway.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:27   #14

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post

Could it be the hassle of having to tear apart all that interior woodwork? I may lack empathy here: I just painted the inside of my hull, there's no paneling at all: paint doesn't rot or grow mold behind it. I can access 90% of the interior hull in an emergency without resorting to using a hatchet. Granted, it looks more like a naval ship than a "yacht" with all the exposed wiring - but at least I can get at it - and if it starts to smolder, I can find the source.

Using one smartphone or tablet for everything strikes me as just creating a single-point-of-failure.

Sorry to be a contrarian, but I just don't understand the charm of some things that seem to me to be very impractical. But then, I suppose, fashion seldom is.
WRT to wireless speakers...For me, the biggest advantage of the bluetooth speakers was mobility. I could have a speaker in the cockpit and one on the foredeck without having to blast music at 11 on the volume knob. Also, if the person in the cabin (or foredeck) does not want to listen to the music I have playing in the cockpit they can sync to another speaker and choose their own. And, if someone comes onboard and wants to share their music...all they have to do is sync to the speakers. And I eliminated all those speaker wires.

All the portable electronic devices on my boat are charged via solar. The power wires are not plugged in all the time...the batteries on the speakers and devices tend to last a good 8 hours.

I have 2 smartphones and 2 tablets. Both are identical and sync'd regularly...I believe in redundancy and try to avoid single points of failure.

I also put in lots of circuit protection to prevent smoldering.
Old 12-07-2020, 13:19   #15

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Getting back on track here How about this https://focusessence.com/pages/minic...xoCabkQAvD_BwE

Not exactly sure how good this is or what it does, but I want one!
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, cockpit, deck