Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2020, 08:34   #1

Maple Leaf 48 Center Cockpit

Going tomorrow to look at a 48' Maple Leaf Center Cockpit boat. She looks to be in beautiful shape. Year is 1974. Price $97,900 We are told the current owner bought her last year, upgraded electronics ($30K), put in a water maker (never yet used), new electrical, new plumbing....lots of upgrades. His intention was to circumnavigate. Unfortunately, new owner suffered a health setback and won't be able to realize the dream. Hence, the boat is now for sale. I've been looking online and have found generally favorable comments about this year/model, but wondering if anyone on the forums has direct experience and can offer comments/reviews on the strengths and weaknesses of this model/year. Survey was done in 2019 by current owner. So that's another question - would you still get your own survey or rely on the one done last year? Our intention is to move aboard after a couple of months of getting to know the boat and take care of landside business, and then set out to sea the world. Thanks in Advance.
-Glo
SoCalGlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 09:24   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: Maple Leaf 48 Center Cockpit

Nice looking boat.

Looks like most of the work has been done for you already.
Would take the old survey and do a preliminary hard look over yourself to make certain deficiencies were corrected. Depending on how good you are evaluating boats it would be up to you if you need another survey.
Depending on your insurance is the old survey still good?
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 09:54   #3

Boat: Hunter 170

I am no expert and I have little boat experience. I do have experience in restoration work and electronics repair. Along with fixing the weird craps others cant figure out.

I looked at the boat and my worries would be more from the fact some of the hardware and electrical part are old and may not be easily available. The electrical panel I say on the one in CA is of a very old rocker switch type. The mounting of these switches is much different then more modern types. So you might do well finding out if there would be smarts to either replace them or find a source for spares and have them with you. I think a discussion with an experience boat person would give you guidance. If you plan on world travel I know finding odd parts for older boats is an issue.
ShoreFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2020, 09:58   #4

HI Bill,
Thanks for your reply. Yes insurance. Well that will be a new world to explore as I know very little about boat insurance. One item the broker told us about is that the rigging is oversized so if going over 120 miles offshore we would either have to get a certified rigger to attest the vessel is seaworthy or self insure. How do you handle insurance for your boat?
Old 23-06-2020, 10:04   #5

ShoreFun,

Good advice. Thank You. Will inspect for items you raise re electronics. Certainly not worth the $$$ to buy more trouble.
Old 23-06-2020, 11:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGlo View Post
HI Bill,
Thanks for your reply. Yes insurance. Well that will be a new world to explore as I know very little about boat insurance. One item the broker told us about is that the rigging is oversized so if going over 120 miles offshore we would either have to get a certified rigger to attest the vessel is seaworthy or self insure. How do you handle insurance for your boat?

Insurance on older cars and boats, IMO is probably only liability (if you could financially handle a total loss).
As you discuss more, would think you would want a new survey done and the extra rigging survey.
Also there is hardly any mention of sails in the YW ad. Would have someone knowledgeable to look over the sails. If they the sails are >20yrs old or you hear by the surveyor that the sails are "servicable", expect to buy all new sails. This is a major expense.
Old 30-06-2020, 08:16   #7

Glo,
Did you ever go look at the boat? If so, what did you think about it?

Tags
center cockpit, cockpit