Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 13:56   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
Morgan Out Island 28

Hi Folks,

Now looking at a 73 Morgan Out Island 28. Lots of info out there on the bigger models, but not much about the 28. Anyone have specific knowledge of this boat model?

Suitable for liveaboard?
Suitable for coastal cruising/Caribbean passage?
Known design issues in terms of problems areas to watch out for or proactive replacement?

No plans to go RTW, but want to eventually move about the coasts and islands of the Americas.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 17-08-2010, 15:48   #2

Faily stout little boats. The Out Islands were used for charter boats in the Caribbean. Very roomy. They look fairly coastal cruise friendly. Get a survey. I like 'em.
Langusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:07   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I lived aboard a 1973 Morgan OI 33' for 13 years and a 1973 Morgan OI 41' for the past 25 years. I have a friend who has lived aboard his 1973 Morgan OI 28 for about thirty years. Despite their different lengths they share most all qualities. Certainly they are a capable coastal cruiser that offer good liveaboard qualities. Take note of the following when evaluating the 1973 Morgan Out Island.
1. Later models raised the hull-deck joint to the toe rail instead of the more vulnerable rub rail. Be wary of possible damage here.
2. Inspect the mast step by raising the inspection panels at the bilge ceiling at the base of the mast. Minor corrosion here can be acceptable, but some have the mast seriously degrading.
3. Inspect the aluminum back up plate under the forestay at the bow with a good light looking from the V-berth into the chain locker. Some of these plates have severely corroded and the hull deck joint here should have no separation.
4. A number of 1973 Morgan OI's have had rudder separation. Look for a hairline crack that is a prelude to the separation and loss of the starboard or port half of the rudder. This can be prevented by running a fiberglass cloth tabbing along this seam. If a crack is already present, you may need to remove the rudder, split it open and rebuild the core with structural foam.
5. You make have a history of rain leaks with a Morgan OI if it still has the original black rubber gaskets around the portlights. These have often been altered with bolted polycarbide or lexan plates as portlights or the original rubber extrusion can still be purchased.
6. Rain leaks have also been common with the rub rail that many have rebult as custom rails or sealed by various means.
7. Few of the original Atomic Fours that were raw water cooled still survive in these boats;if still present, they probably have little life.
8. These vessels were made with a winch handle turned rotating boom for furling the main. Most are frozen in place, but the boom can still be sound and operable. The roller boom never produced a good reefed sail shape anyway.
9. The wood core in the deck will probably have some soft spots. This is a cosmetic and not a structural problem. I have replaced about 6 square feet of deck core on my '73 without much hassle and a good final look.
If you end up with this vessel send me a PM and I'll be glad to support you with fuirther information. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:35   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
CaptForce,

Wow!! you're the type of friend to have Sound, useful checklist.
Mind if I use it to help a mate with his 28?
Old 17-08-2010, 19:26   #5

Boat: Catalina 22 - La Maestra
I agree! That is what I like about this forum. Members are willing to share knowledge and experience to help newbies get off to the right track! Thanks Langusto and CaptForce for your feedback.

I definitely have a laundry list of things to look for now!

It does have an Atomic 4, which will be fine for now. Would probably convert it to a newer diesel before I started doing any serious cruising.

Somewhere I read that there could be issues with cracking around the keel that was supposedly common with the OI. Any knowledge of this?

Thanks again for the great help.
Dennis
Old 30-08-2010, 07:10   #6

Boat: 1985 Tartan 40
Morgan Out Island 30

Hello,

I'm new to the site and happy to have found it!

I'm looking into a 1972 Morgan Out Island 30.

I'll take this checklist along with me. I'm also looking at a pearson 30, a lipponcott 30, and a tartan 30.

Any input there?

Danny
sloopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 19:42   #7

Re: Morgan Out Island 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I lived aboard a 1973 Morgan OI 33' for 13 years and a 1973 Morgan OI 41' for the past 25 years. I have a friend who has lived aboard his 1973 Morgan OI 28 for about thirty years. Despite their different lengths they share most all qualities. Certainly they are a capable coastal cruiser that offer good liveaboard qualities. Take note of the following when evaluating the 1973 Morgan Out Island.
1. Later models raised the hull-deck joint to the toe rail instead of the more vulnerable rub rail. Be wary of possible damage here.
2. Inspect the mast step by raising the inspection panels at the bilge ceiling at the base of the mast. Minor corrosion here can be acceptable, but some have the mast seriously degrading.
3. Inspect the aluminum back up plate under the forestay at the bow with a good light looking from the V-berth into the chain locker. Some of these plates have severely corroded and the hull deck joint here should have no separation.
4. A number of 1973 Morgan OI's have had rudder separation. Look for a hairline crack that is a prelude to the separation and loss of the starboard or port half of the rudder. This can be prevented by running a fiberglass cloth tabbing along this seam. If a crack is already present, you may need to remove the rudder, split it open and rebuild the core with structural foam.
5. You make have a history of rain leaks with a Morgan OI if it still has the original black rubber gaskets around the portlights. These have often been altered with bolted polycarbide or lexan plates as portlights or the original rubber extrusion can still be purchased.
6. Rain leaks have also been common with the rub rail that many have rebult as custom rails or sealed by various means.
7. Few of the original Atomic Fours that were raw water cooled still survive in these boats;if still present, they probably have little life.
8. These vessels were made with a winch handle turned rotating boom for furling the main. Most are frozen in place, but the boom can still be sound and operable. The roller boom never produced a good reefed sail shape anyway.
9. The wood core in the deck will probably have some soft spots. This is a cosmetic and not a structural problem. I have replaced about 6 square feet of deck core on my '73 without much hassle and a good final look.
If you end up with this vessel send me a PM and I'll be glad to support you with fuirther information. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
This is really great info. I have a Morgan OI 28 that I bought in 1983. It is amazing condition and I have ugraded it in a number of ways including adding Edson wheel steering, new hatches, etc. The original Atomic 4 still runs very well (touch wood) with a number of improvements from Moyer Marine.
I have a question that you might be able to answer. I was told when I bought the boat that it was a 1973 model but some of the papers that I received suggested that it might be newer. The hull number is 028-094. Can you confirm the production year? I'm thinking of selling the boat and would like to be sure.
Andy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 21:13   #8

Boat: csy 37

a friend of mine has lived aboard his oi28 for at least seven years. he cruises the icw in florida. don't think he'd have any trouble crossing to the bahamas on a nice day.

it has a small raw water cooled yanmar. he added a 135 watt kyocera solar panel and an airmarine wind gen - which he installed at the masthead! - and pretty much lives off the grid.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 21:24   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

MORGAN 28 O/I sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 04:54   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy15 View Post
.............. I was told when I bought the boat that it was a 1973 model but some of the papers that I received suggested that it might be newer. The hull number is 028-094. Can you confirm the production year? I'm thinking of selling the boat and would like to be sure.
Look for your hull identification number (HIN) that is stamped in the fiberglass at the upper starboard side of the transom just below the rub rail. It will begin with the letters MRY and be followed by nine numbers. Toward the end you will see either 73, 74, 75 or 76. I also believe that the '73's were built with the teak & holly floors while the '74's had a glued carpet over fiberglass, though this change probably did not happen on New Year's Day. The HIN may also be present on some of your paperwork or a survey.
Old 27-05-2012, 13:06   #11

Many thanks for the advice concerning the transom number. It is a '73 but it has a carpeted floor. I believe that it was commissioned in Canada in late '74. First change of ownership said that it was a " 74/75". Regardless it has been a great boat for us for the last 30 years.
Andy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 10:01   #12

Boat: Seaward22

I have always liked Morgan OIs.....never owned one, looked at a lot of them and sailed a few. They have tons of room below.....that being said, they go to weather like a baby grand piano...but hey....all boats are a compromise....I would buy one to liveaboard, but maybe not to cruise and certainly not to race!! They are also pretty solidly built! Good Luck!!
Pathfinder509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:26   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSeas View Post
................Somewhere I read that there could be issues with cracking around the keel that was supposedly common with the OI. Any knowledge of this?

Thanks again for the great help.
Dennis
I'd look for that source again. I don't think it was a reference to a Morgan Out Island. The Morgan OI's have fully encapsulated keels and not a suspended appendage on keel bolts that is subject to cracking at a seam. There is no seam. Certainly, if there is a crack at the keel of a Morgan OI it represents catastrophic damage!
Old 13-06-2012, 20:26   #14

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Bahia 46

Wow! What a find. A group of OI 28 owners. Our 74 has been in the family since 1980, and freshwater lake bound since new. I'm currently remodeling, retrofitting and upgrading where possible. Current technology has it's benefits, but some of the old school has it's place as well.

I've got a bilge rot issue at the mast thrust block which has a bulkhead in between as a support for the mast, as most of the 28 owners know. Anybody else run into this issue?

My current option, is to get the weight off of the bulkhead and thrust block by stepping the mast. Then disassembling the bulkhead and sole to rebuild it all up with new material.

I would love to have some input, besides sending the boat to Davy Jones.

Thanks for the great support that I've read so far. Yes I love this Morgan! She's a pig and needs lot's of wind to move but she's all mine.

I'll have more questions later on other issues.
srbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 17:10   #15

just bought a 1973 Morgan OI myself only problem is it has the mast with no rigging will this be a big headache what do I need to get this boat ready to go?
blackceasar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, morgan out island