Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 12:07   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Morgan 33 Out Island Owners?

Hello,

I just got a Morgan 33 out island and would like to talk to others with them.
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 15:23   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Morgan 33 Owners: ://mailer.fsu.edu/~kklein/m33s.htm
Morgan 33s

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 16:28   #3

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
well I own one and very happy with it what year is yours and how is it powered
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 23:21   #4

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
i have a 1979 with a 50HP Perkens, I could really use some help just by answering some questions if you do not mind. This is my first boat and it is a fixer, later this month i have a machanic going over the motor to get it running dependable. The boat has been on the hard a very long time and before i got the boat the motor was run off Jerry can for just 15 minutes. I will have a number of questions on the running rigging i hope maybe a picture or two to help me.
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 11:47   #5

Boat: Morgan OI 33 - Patience
Wink Working on our OI 33 too

Hi

We bought ours about a 7 months ago and are still working on it. It sails and runs but it has had some basic issues that needed addressed ... like instruments (GPS, Autopilot etc), the ports (had to replace them all - several leaking badly), the head (sanitation hose, Y valve stuck ... now have a macerator pump), engine exhaust manifold, added a vang etc. Its getting there.

Good luck with your project.
jwiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 12:16   #6

We have owned our's for four years now and getting ready to head off for a sail of five years here shortly, if there is any info you need, have pretty much dealt with everything, with a great deal of help from Charlie Morgan himself, he was a great help. The boat today sails much better then when we first got her, not to mention that after dropping a quite a few bucks to get there believe it was worth all the 90,000 and then sum.
Old 30-03-2009, 12:50   #7

Boat: Morgan OI 33 - Patience
Thumbs up current issues

Thanks Artful Dodger... I have a few items on my mind right now ... I don't mean to steal the thread but you are replying and I could use help as well.

1. Let's start with your name. We want to get a dodger or some sort of windshield on the front of the boat. We bought her with an off-the-shelf bimini installed that was 6+ ft from cockpit floor to top. That was in the way of the boom, so the prior owner put the topping lift up a ways to clear the top of the bimini and actually wrapped the sail around the rear of the boom to make it all work. The sail shape was lousy and we simply could not bear to see such an non-elegant solution. We have cut the bimini down now to gain clearance but its still close. I am now annoyed with the 5 ft 8 in floor to bimini height (I am 5 ft 11 in tall). My mechanic wants to weld on a new hinge and move the gooseneck up. I am trying to keep costs in line. Did you deal with this is some way? If so, what was your solution?

The estimates for a new bimini and wind shield is coming in at about $4000 - does that seem reasonable?

2. Stern rail seats - do you have them? How did you install?

3. Shaft slippage. We took the boat out for a motor only cruise to use up the old fuel. I had it going full power and could not get it above 2600 rpm or so. Clearly the prop is oversized for the engine (Perkins 4-108 50 hp). In any case, we made it home fine but next time I went to use the boat, the engine would not engage ... I check below and found the shaft had slipped off the coupling. My mechanic helped get it back on but he said he had never seen 4 set screws used to hold a shaft, so he is betting that it has happened before. Have you experienced this? If so, what was your solution? I am thinking of just drilling deep holes for the set screw to penetrate... maybe even threading the holes.

4. Davits. We are thinking about it ... did you get them? If so, what have you learned or recommend?

5. Galley Maid Stove. I was amazed that 2 out the 3 burners worked first time out the gate. The third one is not getting any ethanol. I need to clean it out ... any advice where to look for a blockage first?

6. What did you do to get her to sail much better? I am new to sailing large boats (I have a ton of experience on small boats like Sunfish) and it took some time to have success at coming about during a tack - and I still have difficulty at times. Its a bit embarrassing - but Tampa Bay is big enough to make such mistakes. Right now, I turn the helm slowly (but not too slow) and let her backwind to get it over. Works about 80% of the time. Its harder going from port to starboard tack. My theory is windage cause by poor boat balance (see next item).

7. Boat balance. It seems to be low in the water in the stern (all that engine weight) and also when I fill the water tanks it does seem to have a slight starboard list ( the aft water tank is on the starboard) ... do you notice this as well?

Sorry for all the questions, but you offered

Thanks

John
jwiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 13:08   #8

Well if you are serious we can help check out my blog and see some of the changes, as well if you email me can forward specs and where you can get the things we did to work for Artful Dodger, and the name suits the boat with our first year of sailing on the Ottawa river. This boat was not made for rivers and we would artfully dodge things or not. Best way to learn something is to do it. At present we are finishing the complete encloure of the cockpit so we have an extra room, which by the way we will be able to leave up even under sail. With the interior of ur boat and its storage areas have all been reworked, with the idea of complete balance forward and aft, as well. When I got our boat she was just a hull which had been stripped so refitting was an easy thing, and as for one more interest,your boat most likely weights agout 14,600lbs my weights 20,000lbs and in that is where the secret is. Artful sails like a heavy boat but can control like a light one, and have been able to rasie her cruising speed to about 5.5 to 6 knots thanks to the new Yahmar engine.
Old 30-03-2009, 13:12   #9

Yes must mention the addition of the Yahmar gives us 6 knots steady when motoring, and without it a good 5.5 knots so have been able to get good balance with both
Old 28-05-2009, 17:46   #10

Just got ours (Calisto) recently as well. Have spent almost every weekend & some weekdays. She served as an apartment in the keys for a novice sailor (& a non mechanically inclined fixer) - so lots to correct. I've been fixing boats a long time & this one is a real challenge.
One thing I noticed is that the spreaders are very heavy - does any one know if it is possible to 2" holes to lighten them?
sprite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 09:25   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
Re: Morgan 33 Out Island Owners?

i got mine, 'Best Revenge' over a year ago . am living aboard. power is near new kobota 37 which pushes 6kn all day. no balance issues with full tanks and inflatable dinghy in the davits. she does not like light winds but what heavy boat does? i'm currently planning jiffy reefing ang rigging a wisker pole for my roller furling genoa.
on reefing i note that if i leave the main on the sail tracks the reef tacks will ride about a foot above the boom because the sail bunches at the bottom of the track i am thinking to compensate by first loosen halyard, secure tack, raise halyard then tighten clue lines. am interested how others handle the short sail track.
also i cannot see any benefit in the topping lift. its secured at the masthead so to adjust i need go to stern balance on the rail and reach over the bimini. seems to me i could clamp a pigtail on the backstay to hold the boom up at anchor. then when raising sail unhook prior to turning off the wind. am i missing something?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 10:09   #12

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 33

Great discussion. I also have a 33 OI that I am learning on. I am in need of a newer mainsail. Can any one let me know how close to the original I need to be in replacing this item. My orginal is a 35.6' luff; 37.9' leech and 14' foot.

Also, what have others done with the refrigeration system. Mine is shoot and was wondering what has been done other than to replace the original Andler system?
Pantherssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 11:44   #13

i doubt if minor (foot or two) variations in dimensions will much matter but suggest you ask charlie morgan to confirm.charley@charleymorgan.com i think the key is in tuning your boat after you get a sail and would not skimp on getting a rigger to help if no free experts are arround.

on the refrigeration/wine cooler(?) i went with stacking a 2.5 cf freezer on a similar dorm room size refirgerator. much cheaper then large units and less maintaince. freezer is 110v refrig is 12v/110. located them between stb berths. i view these as semi-disposable. the morgan ice chest is pretty good but i can't afford leaving that counter space clear so i use it for tools and chemical supplies-oil,coolant,cleaners,etc.

are you doing anything with the sail lockers under the aft seats. incredible space but very hard to access. i used large plastic laundry baskets on a wood frame so i can reach bottom but there's got to be a better way other than hire a skinny cabin boy.

good luck with your plans and let us know how you are progressing.
Old 18-01-2012, 12:58   #14

Boat: Morgan, Out Island, 33

Dave22q - can you be a little more specific on where you located the dorm size frig.? On the starboard size of my cabin is the quarter birth, chart table and dining area in that order from stern to bow. I like the idea of a freestanding refrig, but don't quite understand where you located yours. Thanks for more information.

As for the sea lockers, that is a lot of space that is not used well. Right now I have extra jib sails in the starboard locker and some stacking plastic cubes in the port locker. I am very surprized with how little the stacking plastic move while under sail - so far in about 4 foot seas with no movement. Still with this, there is a lot of extra space in the port sea locker that I would like to use. I will let you know if I come up with any good ideas.
Pantherssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 14:22   #15

origionally a cabinet about 26" wide between quarter berth and cabin l berth on stb side. no idea if it was pantry, closet or what. the closet or whatever potruded about 2' into the cabin past the inside edge of the cabib berth, about 15" inside of the interior edge of the qtr berth. hope this helps.

Tags
morgan, morgan out island